Derek's Upgrade Thread

Well good luck with the whole thing... Some people reported some probs early on when the A64s first came out... That said, when I got my stuff (OK, most stuff I ported from my old system) last October, all went together no probs... Well, OK, I exagerate a bit, there was one.

The NIC that comes on the mobo won't play in Windows. But I don't think it's a hardware prob wrt the mobo (nForce 3 based board), as when I loaded Linux on this box, it played just fine... XP driver issue is my best guess. So I plugged an old Intel NIC card I had lieing around and all is well...

It should all go fine for ya :)

Thanks for the warm wishes Son Goku, hopefully I won't have any issues. If I do, I'm coming after you :mad:

Later today the machine will be assembled

*dance*

now dont put in ECC ram this time haha.

Good luck :) you should have fun with the new pc.

celticfan11 said:

Shhhhh! :)

Just waiting on one more package, half came already today.

Why does the mobo have to be last ? :(

kcnychief said:
Why does the mobo have to be last ? :(

So you can sit and wait for ups and fedex and do the hard things first, lilke configure jumpers and plan the positioning of the dvd rw and HD inside the case etc.

I've been planning positioning every since I ordered the case. And as far as the jumpers, no need to do that because they are pre-set to cable select :)

I've already mounted the opticals, FDD, and PSU. Just waiting....

Dude I know you are itching. How much did all of that set you back?

Edit: You better be folding on that.

It wasn't that bad in regards to cost, and alot of the stuff has rebates :D

I'm going to start folding again too, I just posted in the thread about it :)

celticfan11 said:

ECC wouldn't be so bad... Now trying to squeeze registered memory into the thing (if it's not a socket 940) :eek: Now, that could be bad...

Oh, and running for cover, lest kcny ends up looking for a buns warmer, to place under my posterior :eek:

He was referring to a time when I ordered ECC ram for a mobo that didn't support it. 'twas rather interesting :p

Sometimes you need to read the fine print a little more carefully, when it says ECC in HUGE BOLDED letters, it's easy to miss ;)

Dude I am so jealous.

120mm Fan Recommendation

Keeping in mind that I don't want a fan that has variable control, can someone suggest a range of values for the following categories?

RPM

Air Flow (in cfm)

Noise level (in dBA)

I want something that will push air around, will be getting a pair (one for front intake and one for the back to suck out), and want something efficient and quiet.

I don't do any OC'ing, I have a modular PSU so there is NOT a bunch of extra cabling, and I have the cables that ARE in there tied together very nicely. Air flow isn't a problem, so I don't need something that goes really high/fast.

TIA!

Re: 120mm Fan Recommendation

I found a fan that meets my needs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835129248

Very quiet at only 19.6dBA while putting out 54.7 CFM.

I know it's a bit pricey, but I need something quiet that will keep the rig cool as it's in my living room where there is a decent amount of traffic :)

I'm going to poke around for a better price, but it's worth it none the less :)

EDIT: Crap, too big. I saw before it has a 120mm fan adapter, but that won't be good for fitting where the fans will go :(

Last edited:

well this thread went far dude lol

Still searching, just figured while I look I'll check for opinions from others ;)

Threads merged.

Derek, I merged these two threads since they have something in common.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back