Canonical Ltd. is giving away free CDs of their Debian based desktop Linux

TittleBitties said:
U talking about me xie :p.
Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out. ;)

Do you honestly believe you can get 500 people to start using Ubuntu? I mean, something like 50 CD's would have been reasonable, but 500 is just way over the top.

SPeedY_B said:
Stupid isn't it. Ironically, I'm sat at my x86 machine installing ubuntu right now :D

Last i read it failed :p

And yes it is stupid, only reason i could see to justify 500 CD's is that it is for some HUGE Linux User Group like the one in NJ. They literally have over 2,000 members.

But for a simple person? It is just wrong to ask a company to send you that many.

I ordered a few more, granted, but i gave all my other ones out at a BSD User Group, and people are asking me if i have more so they can give out to their family and friends as well.

Haha, yes. Yes it did. Posted that during the initial install which seemed to be going Ok.. guess not though :D

I am gonna be giving a few to some people and then the rest to my networking teacher to put on the computers for the linux part of his class. Plus they havent sent them yet so i doubt they are gonna send them.

got mine a few days ago and waiting to find a machine to try it out on. was thinking of dual booting but I don't want to do that since it's my first go at linux. well when ever I get another machine to mess around on I will probably use it, like it, and never look back...I have a few friends here that say that once I use linux I won't go back...hopefully that's the case

Linux is pretty good but i didnt like it cause u cant run alot of programs u use with windows and its not easy to install crap. I wouldnt dual boor cause last time i did it fooked up windows.

TittleBitties said:
Linux is pretty good but i didnt like it cause u cant run alot of programs u use with windows and its not easy to install crap. I wouldnt dual boor cause last time i did it fooked up windows.
That's why there are Linux alternatives, like Gimp for Photoshop, OpenOffice for MS Office etc. Certain Windows-only programs can also run with Crossover, although it's not free. But if you're familiar and comfortable with Windows apps, you might as well just use XP. I'm a Windows person myself - have always used Linux only for the learning experience, never as a replacement desktop OS. It hasn't reached that stage yet - well, at least in my opinion.

Dual-booting isn't dangerous either. Have done it plenty of times with several different distros. You just have to know what you're doing. If you're a newbie, that means reading the documentation, or asking questions. :)

Well it appears my damned hdd is dead in my x86 machine, so I don't get to play with ubuntu in it's full glory, only from the LiveCD. May be purchasing a notebook soon though, which shall have it's Windows install eradicated and ubuntu put in it's place.. we'll see :)

TittleBitties, the only software you can't get really, are mainstream games. If you know where to look (Sourceforge and freshmeat are a good start) then theres software to do everything.. and more. There's a "Favourite apps" thread here on OSNN for linux, I'd suggest reading it, there's some fun stuff in there to play with :)

Just got mine today. kinda surprised that it came with both the Install disc AND the Live disc. didn't try it yet though.

Whip that live disc in the drive and boot up. It's great fun :D

Yes ! I received my 6 Ubuntu cd's this morning

Probably gonna test this night the AMD64 version at home on my brand new AMD64 system !

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 106
I just got my cd's today. I only ordered 5 cd's...instead I got 10 and also 5 for AMD64. Must have been a mixup at the plant. Works for me :D

Managed to get it installed on t00t (my x86 machine) tis great, nice and easy to set-up, use, configure, update. Definitely a thumbs up from me :)

SPeedY_B said:
Managed to get it installed on t00t (my x86 machine) tis great, nice and easy to set-up, use, configure, update. Definitely a thumbs up from me :)

Howd you fix it?

X-Istence said:
Howd you fix it?
I don't think he had a problem with the x86 version in the first place.
I think the trouble was with the PPC version.

Haven't tried to install the PPC version yet, Tiger still occupies my spare drive :p

I just disconnected the drive and re-connected it... seemed to work, and has worked for 3 more boots/shutdowns, I'm guessing a loose connection was the problem. Either that or the drive's just on it's way out and will fail when I boot up again :)

I'm going to try the live cd first tonight :)
Then do an install at work tomorrow!

NetRyder said:
I don't think he had a problem with the x86 version in the first place.
I think the trouble was with the PPC version.

His blog said t00t, which is his x86 machine. As he will specify in a reply after yours it was indeed his x86.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back