Apple iPhone

Hey Vanq

Just so that you are self aware--You are as annoying with your hate of Apple as their fanboys.
Hey Brad,
That was a serious question, and you are just as annoying as i am when you make responses to me in stupid forms...

That was a serious question, what is 1 thing that phone can do that the cingular 8525 can not do.
Keep in mind you can purchase an 8gb sd card for the 8525 for a 100 dollars, and getting cheaper everyday.

Being on verizon i dont see phones like this often, the stupid v or env...i know it wont even make it that far, i hate verizon for what they do to phones, but my service is great and if im pissed i complain and get money back....

Hey Brad,
That was a serious question, and you are just as annoying as i am when you make responses to me in stupid forms...

That was a serious question, what is 1 thing that phone can do that the cingular 8525 can not do.
Keep in mind you can purchase an 8gb sd card for the 8525 for a 100 dollars, and getting cheaper everyday.

Interface, visual voicemail, backing by apple (who has fantastic customer service), touch screen, multi-input, full browser support

shall i go on?

Interface, visual voicemail, backing by apple (who has fantastic customer service), touch screen, multi-input, full browser support

shall i go on?
The only thing u got right on that was backing by Apple...
Everything else the 8525 has, oh yeah, and it has a keyboard, oops.

The iPhone probably wont even be called the iPhone. It already exists from Cisco. The more I think about this - the more I think this phone will bomb. It will be MUCH too expensive to be a viable purchase for a phone even WITH a 2 year contract. The phone probably costs $900 without contract / rebates.

It will be too handicapped to be a real iPod. Too large to be a trendy slim-phone (its a rather large handset.. only real nerds walk around with treo-sized handsets). It may not be unlockable, the OS is likely to be closed and it won't run any real desktop apps. Performance is likely to be less than stellar.

There are just too much cons for it to really be the "world changing" device Jobs claimed it to be. I want this phone to succeed 100%, but hopes and dreams aren't going to be enough to pull it off.

Another note:

Did Apple blatantly rip off LG's concept design award winner the KE850? Or is it really LG's model, rebadged?

LG-KE850.jpg

Either way - Apple, Inc. is looking extremely unimaginative!

Vanq, sorry, but they don't make an 8GB microSD card.

The more I think about this - the more I think this phone will bomb.

As soon as a few celebrities start being seen with these, that won't be an issue.

GEN3RIC said:
Either way - Apple, Inc. is looking extremely unimaginative!

I don't agree. I think it's innovative, and it's got that "Apple magic" - taking the simplest things and making them work smoothly. As muzikool asked, have you seen the video demos?

P.S. The iPhone has been in development for at least 2 years.

Last edited:
As soon as a few celebrities start being seen with these, that won't be an issue.

I don't agree. I think it's innovative, and it's got that "Apple magic" - taking the simplest things and making them work smoothly. As muzikool asked, have you seen the video demos?
Also, look at the sidekick II and SideKick III, that is an expensive phone, yet a billion people have it! which makes it unspecial, i know only 1 person with the 8125, and nobody with the 8525, so getting that phone would be unique.

Thanks for clearin that up NetRyder :)

Van its funny you say this, but you waste your money all the time on other stuff lol....

Yeah... I never waste my money on Anything Apple, i truly believe they have faulty business practices and overcharge.

More info on the lawsuit:

According to MarketWatch.com, financial analysts and legal experts are expecting Apple's iPhone trademark dispute with Cisco to be resolved quickly, citing claims from Cisco that a deal was close before the lawsuit was filed.
"We expect an amicable resolution," Prudential Securities analyst Inder Singh wrote in a note to clients Thursday. "The most likely outcome, in our opinion, is for Cisco to be a net recipient of financial payment from Apple for use of the name."

Apple "has until May to sort this out and then ramp up marketing, so there is time," said Gene Munster, an Apple analyst with Piper Jaffray.

Brian Banner, an intellectual property attorney for Rothwell Figg expects both companies to be able to use the iPhone mark, using corporate branding as one method of sufficiently differentiating the devices.
"Cisco could easily use the iPhone mark accompanied by its logo, and Apple could add the Apple logo"

Concerning 3rd-party apps on the iPhone:
A New York Times article reveals some information about Apple's iPhone and the possibility of 3rd party applications.

The article quotes Steve Jobs about why Apple does not want to allow any 3rd party developer make applications for the iPhone:
“We define everything that is on the phone. You don’t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn’t work anymore. These are more like iPods than they are like computers.”

While saying this, Jobs does reveal that there will likely be additional applications that can be bought later and installed, but that this will be in a "controlled environment". Apple adopts a similar approach with iPod game development -- only allowing specific products to be developed and released.

Of course I saw the videos. Some good stuff, but I was referring to the overall design. Its identical to the LG KE850!

Those diamond-studded luxury phones are seen in the hands of celebrities - and I don't see anybody copying them. They are just too expensive. Many people will find the iPhone too expensive too. Especially being so fragile..

it's got that "Apple magic" - taking the simplest things and making them work smoothly.
Jobs has a way of making people believe everything he says. :)

While I don't disagree with the fact that the iPhone does a number of things very well, I felt like I had a number of concerns with the true usability of the phone after watching the keynote. I already mentioned one of them earlier in the thread - relying solely on a touchscreen is impressive when you only see a quick demo, but did you notice how Jobs was using his index finger to push the tiny on-screen keys while holding the device with his other hand almost throughout the demo? How often do people need to use their phones while driving, carrying grocery bags in the other hand, hanging on to the metal bar inside a bus, etc? I see it happening all the time. One-handed operation is a crucial thing to consider, and the fact is, even the most precise touchscreens with tiny keys are terrible at that.

Another trouble spot I immediately noticed was in the phonebook - you scroll through the list by flicking your finger up and down. It looks sweet in a demo, but what if you have lots of contacts, like most people do in real life? You end up flicking several times, and it's very, very likely that you'll overshoot. I double-checked the video demo on the Apple site, and I didn't see any way to jump right to a particular letter if I wanted to. Just for comparison, the Windows Mobile phonebook has a clever way to solve this problem - if you push the D-pad to start scrolling down, it starts moving down one-by-one at first, then accelerates, and if you continue to scroll, it starts displaying letters so you can jump directly, thus avoiding the chance of overshooting and having to go back. It doesn't have the same "wow" factor, but simplicity/usability is not always about pretty graphics and fluid animation. :)

There were a number of other examples of such problem areas that I could spend a lot of time getting into. On the other hand, other things like the "pinch" and "stretch" gestures to zoom in and out are great examples of good usability where the interaction model is very simple and natural.

I also felt like Jobs was overly dramatic in his dismissal of current smartphones as being so very complicated to use. The demo in which he showed the so-called "ease" of setting up a conference call with Ive and Schiller was actually identical to the way it works on a Windows Mobile 5 device. I'm not kidding. Check out this comparison shot, where I superimposed a screenshot of my MDA making a call on an image of the iPhone just for effect. :)

calling.jpg

Notice how similar they are?

Basically, the point I'm trying to make is that calling the iPhone "revolutionary" is really pushing it. For something to be revolutionary, it really should be capable of shifting existing paradigms and changing the way we work. The initial introduction of the "smartphone" concept was revolutionary - it turned cellphones that were previously only used to make phonecalls into extensible pocket computers, capable of doing so much more.

The reality is that the iPhone takes existing features and ideas from current smartphones, takes a few steps forward in certain areas, takes a few steps back in others, and puts it all together in one nice, shiny package. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, but people need to accept it for what it is. :)

Last edited:
why?
Whats so special about it?
Hey Brad,

The only thing u got right on that was backing by Apple...
Everything else the 8525 has, oh yeah, and it has a keyboard, oops.
Also, look at the sidekick II and SideKick III, that is an expensive phone, yet a billion people have it! which makes it unspecial, i know only 1 person with the 8125, and nobody with the 8525, so getting that phone would be unique.
Yeah... I never waste my money on Anything Apple, i truly believe they have faulty business practices and overcharge.

*cough* *cough*

:p :) :eek:

Im gonna refrain from this conversation.

Jobs has a way of making people believe everything he says. :)

While I don't disagree with the fact that the iPhone does a number of things very well, I felt like I had a number of concerns with the true usability of the phone after watching the keynote. I already mentioned one of them earlier in the thread - relying solely on a touchscreen is impressive when you only see a quick demo, but did you notice how Jobs was using his index finger to push the tiny on-screen keys while holding the device with his other hand almost throughout the demo? How often do people need to use their phones while driving, carrying grocery bags in the other hand, hanging on to the metal bar inside a bus, etc? I see it happening all the time. One-handed operation is a crucial thing to consider, and the fact is, even the most precise touchscreens with tiny keys are terrible at that.

I haven't seen the keynote and I'm making assumptions (just like everyone else at this point, *cough* :p) based on the demos on the Apple website.

Oh and I've yet to come across a company that doesn't use hyperbole to describe it's products. ;)

Kunal has a crush on Jobs!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back