Apple iPhone

Concerning 3rd-party apps on the iPhone:

The article quotes Steve Jobs about why Apple does not want to allow any 3rd party developer make applications for the iPhone:
“We define everything that is on the phone. You don’t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn’t work anymore. These are more like iPods than they are like computers.”
This is something I really don't understand, especially after the big deal that was made on stage about the phone running "OS X" (obviously not true) and "desktop class" applications. What makes Steve Jobs think he knows what's best for everyone in the world? Seriously.

What if you don't want to pay your cellular carrier ridiculous international calling charges and want to use a mobile version of Skype instead? What if you want to sign in to MSN Messenger or AIM so that people can IM you rather than sending you SMS messages? What if you want to use a full-fledged navigation application with a Bluetooth GPS unit in your car that would make Google Maps on the iPhone look like a joke?

If Steve doesn't think you need any of those things...well, tough luck.

Can you imagine how successful the Macintosh would have been, had they taken the same approach there?

Last edited:
This is something I really don't understand, especially after the big deal that was made on stage about the phone running "OS X" (obviously not true) and "desktop class" applications.

Yeah that is a very weak excuse, especially after touting off about having an actual OS, and a "full fledged web browser"...

Like I said, the real reason is to keep the iTunes ecosystem intact.

Oh and I've yet to come across a company that doesn't use hyperbole to describe it's products. ;)
Definitely, but that's not the problem. The problem is when everyone else believes the hyperbole like it's reality. :)

I also felt like Jobs was overly dramatic in his dismissal of current smartphones as being so very complicated to use. The demo in which he showed the so-called "ease" of setting up a conference call with Ive and Schiller was actually identical to the way it works on a Windows Mobile 5 device. I'm not kidding. Check out this comparison shot, where I superimposed a screenshot of my MDA making a call on an image of the iPhone just for effect. :)

calling.jpg

Notice how similar they are?

Basically, the point I'm trying to make is that calling the iPhone "revolutionary" is really pushing it. For something to be revolutionary, it really should be capable of shifting existing paradigms and changing the way we work. The initial introduction of the "smartphone" concept was revolutionary - it turned cellphones that were previously only used to make phonecalls into extensible pocket computers, capable of doing so much more.

The reality is that the iPhone takes existing features and ideas from current smartphones, takes a few steps forward in certain areas, takes a few steps back in others, and puts it all together in one nice, shiny package. There's certainly nothing wrong with that, but people need to accept it for what it is. :)

I agree, i think this is just another scheme of Apple to make people buy something that they were "Late at the controls to"
I think, if Apple really wanted to succeed they would have needed this phone back when the first smarthphones came out, 2003 at the very latest. Now that Apple does not have anything unique to claim, they might as well lie about it, right?

Vanq, I had the 8125 and upgraded to the 8525 in November. As NR said, the 8125 uses miniSD and the 8525 uses microSD.

Back to the conversation at hand...

Anyone read how Microsoft has warned Apple over the iPhone?

Anyone read how Microsoft has warned Apple over the iPhone?

I did a search and all I could find was marketing advise, they warned apple that their marketing team ruled out for now zune and pocket pc for marketing reasons.

what's missed in that warning though is that this iphone is probably the most advaced pocket computer to date, from the video it runs rings around mobile pc...from what i've seen I would have ordered one if it had a keyboard and could be used with sprint, and I'm a pc guy

people are going to get it for it's capability, the ipod part of it is just a bonus and the microsoft marketing team doesn't understand that part of the iphone equation

Last edited:
This is something I really don't understand, especially after the big deal that was made on stage about the phone running "OS X" (obviously not true) and "desktop class" applications. What makes Steve Jobs think he knows what's best for everyone in the world? Seriously.

What if you don't want to pay your cellular carrier ridiculous international calling charges and want to use a mobile version of Skype instead? What if you want to sign in to MSN Messenger or AIM so that people can IM you rather than sending you SMS messages? What if you want to use a full-fledged navigation application with a Bluetooth GPS unit in your car that would make Google Maps on the iPhone look like a joke?

If Steve doesn't think you need any of those things...well, tough luck.

Can you imagine how successful the Macintosh would have been, had they taken the same approach there?

Buy the new sPhone* today!!

You can run only the software Steve wants :p

@Vanquished: Honestly rest a little, we know you obviously bare the same contempt for Apple as I do for Linux**. But we are just discussing the iPhone on its merits and issues. I really don't think everyone in this thread thinks Apple are the wonderdogs of the tech world. We are just evaluating the iPhone not Apple, post your gripes with the iPhone itself. We dont overly want to know more of your opinion about Apple. Don't take this the wrong way or anything it just gets boring watching the thread turn into an Apple bash ;)

* s for Steve
** Its not an operating system for the love of jeebus!!! :p

Buy the new sPhone* today!!

You can run only the software Steve wants :p

@Vanquished: Honestly rest a little, we know you obviously bare the same contempt for Apple as I do for Linux**. But we are just discussing the iPhone on its merits and issues. I really don't think everyone in this thread thinks Apple are the wonderdogs of the tech world. We are just evaluating the iPhone not Apple, post your gripes with the iPhone itself. We dont overly want to know more of your opinion about Apple. Don't take this the wrong way or anything it just gets boring watching the thread turn into an Apple bash ;)

* s for Steve
** Its not an operating system for the love of jeebus!!! :p
Ok,
Ill try, i dont think its an apple bash thread though :)
I think only I am a true apple hater :)

Anyways,
Will it most likely be that the phone will get just as scratched and scuffed as the Ipods?

Some more details from two different sources -- David Pogue (NY Times) and iLounge:

- Does the Web browser support Flash or Java? –No.
- Can it open Word and Excel documents? –No. (Steve Jobs says it can open PDF files, though.)
- Will it sync with Outlook? –No.
- Does it connect to standard iPod accessories like car docks and speaker systems? –Yes!
- Won’t the screen get smudgy? –It does, but you don’t see it except when the screen is off. The one I played with was pretty streaky, but wiping it on my sleeve cleaned it completely.

- iTunes songs can not be set as ringtones
- As reported, battery is not user replaceable
- Gestures / Scrolling interface has brief learning curve
- Screen appears resistant to smudges
- No Voice over IP support
- No wireless iTunes downloads/purchases

Some of this is disappointing, but the ones decided by the software can change if Apple wants them to.

Details concerning Cingular and possible future iPhone models:

PCMag, MobileBurn, and TelephonyOnline reported on comments on the Apple iPhone from Glenn Lurie, Cingular's president of national distribution. Cingular, of course, is the exclusive provider for the Apple iPhone in the U.S. and this deal has been said to last until 2009. As part of the branding, the "Cingular" word will appear on the iPhone screen, but will not appear on the body of the phone itself.

Of particular interest, Cingular's exclusivity contract "covers 'all models' of the iPhone, including several other devices in the works that may be 'coming out very quickly'". Unfortunately, the exact details surrounding the quote were unavailable, but appears to be related to the possibility of future 3G implementation on the iPhone -- a feature which Steve Jobs stated during the keynote was on the roadmap for future models.

vanquished said:
Will it most likely be that the phone will get just as scratched and scuffed as the Ipods?

I was wondering that myself... Apple has used that same *cough* space age *cough* material for quite some time now... Did they finally hop on the bandwagon and use ABS plastic ?!

It was probably already mentioned somewhere, but what material is this new phone made of?

Some of this is disappointing, but the ones decided by the software can change if Apple wants them to.

That is disappointing. I am becoming less and less impressed with this device as more information is released. Maybe Apple will hear this and things will have been changed by the time they actually release it.

Personally I still think I'd rather have a cheaper iPhone with less storage on it and ditch the iPod functionality of it (or a large proportion of it) and have a stand alone widescreen iPod. I've probably said it before but I'd rather run down the battery on my entertainment device than on my communication device and actually need to make an emergency call. Besides at the mo my iPod and PDA sit side by side in my pocket perfectly. It doesnt even feel like extra weight.

That is disappointing. I am becoming less and less .

I'm more and more impressed with the actual device as I see it work, it's steve jobs that I'm dissapointed with

trying to keep people from developing software and forcing people to use a particular carrier is a total sell out as far as I am concerned

Last edited:
Some more details from two different sources -- David Pogue (NY Times) and iLounge:

Details concerning Cingular and possible future iPhone models:
Whoa. The user can't replace the battery?
How does that work?
Its a phone, how could u get to the sim card?

Whoa. The user can't replace the battery?
How does that work?
Its a phone, how could u get to the sim card?

Look at the pictures or watch the video and you'll see that there is a slot at the very top to insert your sim card.

Look at the pictures or watch the video and you'll see that there is a slot at the very top to insert your sim card.
ok. thats ok, i guess...
Still kinda really silly that u cant change the batt :(
That pretty much kills it for me right there...

I think Apple needs to think of this device more as a phone with iPod capabilities than an iPod with phone capabilities

That is disappointing. I am becoming less and less impressed with this device as more information is released.
This is exactly how I feel. Right after the keynote, I was honestly quite impressed with the device, not because of its capabilities per se (as has been pointed out, current devices can do all that and more), but because of the attention to detail and "niceties" that many others lack. I was willing to discount some of the smaller downsides for something that I thought would turn out to be a great package overall, since no device is without its flaws, after all.

But as more information becomes available, I feel like the issues and limitations are clearly outweighing the positive aspects from a practical point of view. Sure, there's an impulsive side of my brain that's telling me I want one, but I think the rational side is making more sense at this point when it tells me that this is definitely not for me, at least not in its first iteration. I can see how someone who has been using a regular phone like a RAZR would love this thing for what it is, but I honestly don't see it swaying many smartphone users who truly appreciate the versatility and flexibility of their devices.

Last edited:
I think Apple needs to think of this device more as a phone with iPod capabilities than an iPod with phone capabilities
Bingo.
Anyone who is going to buy this phone, most likely already has an ipod, and 90 percent of the people probably have a rather new ipod, with video capabilities.
I dont think they will simply up-and trash there 300 dollar ipods because the have a phone that can do it as well.
I like the smartphone approach, make it cheaper with less space, but offer upgradeable space(Min-sd, micro-sd, sd), that way people like me, who wouldn't use the phone for music, can get it cheaper. and those who want to use it for music as a priority (Minority) can purchase extra space via cards.

I would get one if it were not for the Cingular contract. While I am not in love with T-Mobile (my current provider) Cingular/AT&T dont seem to be a step up so far.

I just had an odd thought, the only times I have ever pulled the battery out of my previous phones was when they locked up for some reason. So long as iPhone OS X doesnt ever lockup I'd be fine with not being able to get at it :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back