Apple iPhone

See thats the thing I don't like

the iPhone supports Cocoa which is an amazingly powerful framework, one of the nicest I have ever had the pleasure of working with and its almost completely controlled by apple. If they were to just make a Cocoa framework for the iPhone which maybe limited your level of access then conflicts or problems between third-party and core applications should be a non-issue.

See thats the thing I don't like

the iPhone supports Cocoa which is an amazingly powerful framework, one of the nicest I have ever had the pleasure of working with and its almost completely controlled by apple. If they were to just make a Cocoa framework for the iPhone which maybe limited your level of access then conflicts or problems between third-party and core applications should be a non-issue.
all they have to do is limit the amount of total processor time allowed for anything but apples apps

that's it, it's simple scheduling and steve is just being an a hole

Was this from another part of the article, or are you extracting it from how he spoke about the phone in general?

Apple has every right to control what goes on the phone, and the consumer has every right not to buy it for this reason. The market will determine whether Apple's stance on this hurts or helps the phone's success, or has no real impact either way.

Apple limited the iPod in similar ways -- doesn't seem like that had much effect on its success, though. ;)
clearly they don't unless you are renting or leasing the unit, it's your hardware, it's not leased and you can put on it what you want

apple has every right to keep you from accessig their operating system and you are right there, we then have every right to boycott the hardware...that is my very point when I say I can't understand why steve enjoys such fanboyism, he is a sellout of the highest order, he takes advantage and in my opinion abuses his customers by making the bizarre statements he's made for why there are no 3rd party apps allowed..these reasons are clearly false and I think his fan base should abandon their loyalty for listening to those clear falshoods

I guess I'm a little peeved becuase believe me, I would have gotten this device and now I won't

the ipod is a music machine, the iphone is a persoanl computer

it's simple philosophy as far as I am concerned, if they don't want developers on this os that is surely up to them, you are right

Last edited:
I wouldn't go so far to say that the iPhone is a personal computer. The OS is not even close to being full-blown (I think it's less than 500MB in size).

We're talking about the software here, so we're talking about accessing the OS to load that software. You said yourself that Apple can restrict access to its OS, so it looks like we're in agreement. You say we should be able to put what we want on the hardware -- I don't understand what you mean.

Apple works with 3rd party developers for the iPod's games, so there will be 3rd party apps for the iPhone -- it just won't be completely open for anyone to develop for. The good thing is that we're talking about software here, so Apple has the ability to change its mind and open up the OS, or allow for other changes. If these issues were hardware-based, then these "upgrades" wouldn't be so simple.

We're talking about the software here, so we're talking about accessing the OS to load that software. You said yourself that Apple can restrict access to its OS, so it looks like we're in agreement. You say we should be able to put what we want on the hardware -- I don't understand what you mean.

I think he means that Apple has every right to put what they want (or not want) on the iPhone, but it is every users right to put whatever they want on the iPhone after that. And Apple is placing restrictions on that.

Sort of like buying a car and then not being able to tweak with it.

I wouldn't go so far to say that the iPhone is a personal computer. The OS is not even close to being full-blown (I think it's less than 500MB in size).
I don't have the quote handy but I believe an Apple spokesman said it was around ~1GB. I could be wrong though. :p

Oh and I still want one even after all the debating/issues/comments, I just can't afford it. :(

I think he means that Apple has every right to put what they want (or not want) on the iPhone, but it is every users right to put whatever they want on the iPhone after that. And Apple is placing restrictions on that.

Sort of like buying a car and then not being able to tweak with it.
that's exactly what I'm saying

imagine if windows would only allow you to install programs that they wrote or written by people who paid them...rediculous and every one of you would be screaming about it too

we'd all switch to apple if they allowed us to write programs for their os, or linux or free bsd

but we would NOT get an os that only allowed us to install what they liked

... now that the shoe is on apple's other foot, people are gonna find some kind of excuse for it...

look, it's their os, we only rent it, they can do whatever they want with their software, if they're successful windows is gonna do it too and then nobody is gonna be able to write any programs for any operating system

wonderful

Last edited:
Apple limited the iPod in similar ways -- doesn't seem like that had much effect on its success, though. ;)

Actually ipod music sales topped out last year and stock price was down sharply until Steve pulled out the IPhone. The claimed reason music sales were down being that consumers have started "resisting the limited usability of iPOD downloaded music".

People are starting to speak with their wallets. Those cheap, generic MP3 players with their cheap generic downloads are getting very popular.

As for the Cisco Apple thing. Cisco is trying to cash in on having grabbed a name that it never really used (Germany and I think England? have told Cisco to screw off). That goes along with all this "damn intellectual property bull****". People aren't innovating to make product and money. They are making unused patents to drive litigation.

Just for this once I'm an Apple fan boy. Give Steve his IPhone trademark. He is at least going to make significant use of it. Cisco just wants big bucks to let Steve use a name that is an obvious derivative of his sginificant iPOD product line. Cisco has not established a generally identifiable product line so has no claim to that Trademaek other than an antique paper filing.

GO STEVE!

Actually ipod music sales topped out last year and stock price was down sharply until Steve pulled out the IPhone. The claimed reason music sales were down being that consumers have started "resisting the limited usability of iPOD downloaded music".

People are starting to speak with their wallets. Those cheap, generic MP3 players with their cheap generic downloads are getting very popular.

good on em too

and I can't believe the iphone can possibly be successful if it's limited to cingular...how obsurd, that's gotta change for apple to score on this unless cingular is paying them enough dollars to compensate for the people loyal to their provider like myself

Just for this once I'm an Apple fan boy. Give Steve his IPhone trademark. He is at least going to make significant use of it. Cisco just wants big bucks to let Steve use a name that is an obvious derivative of his sginificant iPOD product line. Cisco has not established a generally identifiable product line so has no claim to that Trademaek other than an antique paper filing.

GO STEVE!

well, steve is making a big deal out of it too, not only cisco, for instance the hardware could have been called the maciphone, the appiphone, anything at all, and he would have lost exactly zero dollars in marketing if they used any referance to the ipod

for instacne, the "podphone" would have been just as effective if not more effective then "iphone"

hey, I'm gonna copywrite "podphone" and get steve to pay me for that too...nice

I think O2, Orange, Vodaphone and T-Mobile are all currently vying for the UK rights to iPhone from Apple.

To be honest I think we all want greater control over the hardware we get. But I guess as the iPhone is more software than say the WM implementation, which is to a large degree ROM based for the OS, it would be more susceptible to interference from third party apps. If WM was the same then I might be able to get rid of the useless pile of dog turd that is ClearVue PDF which is currently stuffed on the ROM ;)

You might want to edit that post, muzi...his advertisement is still in one of your posts.

Throwing frag!

:p

sorry was playing bf2142 quite a bit last night ;)

Hahaha!
Perfect for everything except what its supposed to do :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back