Apple iPhone

Also, it looks like Cisco has agreed to sell the trademark to Apple. All Apple needs to do is sign the paperwork and there will be no lawsuit.

i don't think you will be able to add those devices due to the lack of input methods, and it is a scaled down version of OSX. The only thing that i could feasibly see is a bluetooth keyboard, but I don't know if that would be implemented or not.
well, I would think it takes the keyboard as well as mouse, it's got "multi imput" something or other and it's got bluetooth

it also has GSM + EDGE

I can't imagine why someone couldn't write drivers for blue toothing moniters, keyboards and printers, and unless apple specifically designed the box not to accept the hardware, I think it can be done

Last edited:
The iPhone does not have EDGE capabilities.

The iPhone does not have EDGE capabilities.
grandmaster said:
other iPhone features include 8GB of storage, a 2MP camera, and support for the following wireless protocols: GSM + EDGE, Bluetooth, and WiFi. The phone has 16 hours of battery life for audio and 5 hours for talk time, video, and browsing.
Im going by grandmasters post, is this incorrect?

No, I am wrong. Confused. No 3G. Sorry.

I think that 3G is something that will come down the line.

With regards to your post, Perris, I believe that Multi-input is the ability to use the touch screen with two different fingers at once

Very Nice! .. Cingular?! Why would Apple do this? How hard would it be to let every provider in on this?

It would be neat if the bluetooth keyboards from Apple would work with this phone, more than likely though they will have a smaller version (if any)...

Battery is not all that great.

I would consider switching to Cingular just to get this phone/ipod, if they would develop an attachment for an existing iPod video to convert into an iphone. Problem is, 5gb just won't fit in right with my 80gb ipod video being over half full already :s

Just some thoughts... -tc

Im gonna refrain from this conversation.
I am completely against wasting the money on this...

Oh and Brad...
A 30k dollar Acura offers just as much comfort as a 70k dollar BMW, it is simply a status symbol...

There is a gigantic market for 3rd-party iPod hardware, so my guess is that there will be some types of hardware available for the iPhone as well. As mentioned here, some people will want a keyboard and I'm betting that they will be able to get one.

Two major advantages of this phone are 1) it's almost completely software and 2) it's supported by Apple. iPod software updates are available often, adding features or changing current ones to make them better. This is undoubtedly be the case for the iPhone as well. If it turns out that there is a huge outcry over difficulty using the keyboard, perhaps Apple will tweak some things and release and update. Problem solved.

Apple's support of the iPhone means that consumers will actually receive quality support for their phones. Apple is always highly-ranked in regards to customer support, so having a phone made and supported by Apple is great.

Im gonna refrain from this conversation.
I am completely against wasting the money on this...

Oh and Brad...
A 30k dollar Acura offers just as much comfort as a 70k dollar BMW, it is simply a status symbol...

Hmm.. nice show of restraint. :) :p

Gizmodo was given a couple minutes to play with the phone.. here is their quick takes on their brief experience with the phone..

Apple just gave us 15 minutes with the iPhone. To be frank, I was surprised -- Apple doesn't usually grace us with this kind of love. I guess they liked our iPhone posts from last month. The legends say Woz and Steve love to pull pranks.

What do I really think of it? Well CD players and iPods both play music. But elegant design at the fundamental level of how it plays tunes is what helped it transcend the category. From what I saw, first hand, I think the iPhone is going to do this for cellies. I have a bit of sympathy for our friends at RIM and Nokia

First thing I did? I called my mom.

"Mom," I said. "I'm calling you from an iPhone"

Mom says, "Where? Huh? Who?"

I said, "Uh, its a gadget people have been waiting for for a long time. Never mind, I'll call you later."

Then I dug into the features.

It's easy to say how it worked -- it did just the way it's supposed to, per the Keynote. The experience is very OS X like. So, lets go through each feature. Keep in mind this isn't the final firmware or hardware. They have months to fix whatever I bitch about.

Phone calling: Sound is clearer than average. The number pad is tucked away, so they depend on you having most numbers in speed dial. That's ok. Soft buttons are never going to be as fast as hard buttons. These were good, there wasn't much delay. But wihtout tactile feedback, its a little strange. (The faux dialtones are cool.)

Screen: Most gorgeous ever. Flawless. Dark, and contrasty. Bright colors. Photos looked natural. Touchscreen was better for multigestures, but the screen itself had a bit of rubbery feel as I flicked through with a single figner.

Gestures: They work! Multitouch is great for zooming photos. I likey.

Video: The pirates of the caribbean video was supposedly 640 by 480, but looked kind of blown up. I'm being picky, though. You can set the video to native res, instead of filling the screen. Maybe that was the 320 version of Pirates. I'm being picky.

Music: Um, I flipped through some songs, but without headphones, I didn't listen.

Images: You saw it from our liveblog. Thumbnails, and zooming using gestures. As you'd expect.

Browser: Perfect rendering of the page (saw the apple page and Google news) Like the opera browser, it scales down images. Didn't check Flash or Java/Javascript support. Flipped to landscape when I tilted (but only one side.) Zooming in with a touch and then back out made sense. And landscape mode is awesome.

Keyboard: The softkey, on screen buttons are small. Think index finger, not thumb. Maybe I wasn't doing it right. The keys pop up when I put my finger down on the keys, but do you think the proximity sensor knows when I get close (but before I touch), and if I hover with my digit, it'll blow up the keys so they're easier to hit? (Am I making sense?)

SMS: Didn't try.

Email: Typed around a bit. Wish the fields for To, and CC were smaller fonts. But I guess when you go to the main message field, it scrolls down.

Google Maps: Perfect. Maps DL'd slower than I'd have liked, esp considering the demo was on wifi (Was it on WiFi? I believe so, but will let you know if I am wrong.)

Widgets: Weather and Stocks are identical to the OS X Dashboard Widgets. Great

Camera: The camera didn't refresh fast in the dark meeting room. I wasn't that impressed, but it was pretty dark.

RAM Vmail: Didn't check, but looked at the messages, seemed straight forward.

Multitasking: Didn't have time to check!

Very slick looking, although I don't think it will be a hit over here in the uk. Just a hunch! ;)

I have 4 phone lines, two handsets are just phones

I might have been persuaded to get this for one of those two phones but for a couple of things;

1) sprint is without peer for bandwidth, internet speed tethering to my laptop, number of local antenae, low price, customer service. There is no way on the planet I would switch to anything else for the sake of a cute piece of hardware, applle made a huge mistake limiting distributers

2) there would have to be hardware ports of some kind, could be wireless I don't care, but I won't be restricted to the handset only just cuz some fool thinks they don't want me using the technology with anything else

Last edited:
The docking port opens up all kinds of possibilites I would think. There could be a dock manufactured that has all kinds of inputs and outputs. Who knows?

As for the carrier, I imagine the iPhone will be unlocked at some point down the road -- could be years, though. I've read that Sprint isn't doing too well right now, but it's good that you're happy with its service. :)

I've read that Sprint isn't doing too well right now, but it's good that you're happy with its service. :)

it's off topic, but real fast, sprint just picked up nextel, I think any reports of them not doing well aren't too accurate.

Will be a hit for most ipod fanboys i guess.

I think my xda orbit is better suited for me. Just pop in a memory card and it'll do everything this thing can do... except run osx and related apps.

Unbelievable. That pretty much single-handedly kills it for me. Pity, because it's such a sweet device otherwise. :(

:speechless:

I guess they are afraid of people breaking up the iTunes ecosystem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back