Windows Vista Build 5342 Ultimate (EDW / March Refresh)

Admiral Michael said:
Well the ISO and DVD had the same values.

EDIT: Ok I got it installed but it's as slow as hell. Any ideas?
EDIT2: NM!
theres some tools in Vista which might tell you what is causing it to be slow, and offer solutions. somewhere in the hardware options i think... might be out of date drivers

Im disappointed with the search in the 'start' menu.

Its a bit hard to find the program I want using the regular process of navigating through the folders, so when I try to type in the program name PAINT it come sup with nothing.

Also, Windows Mail, where is it hiding ? I can't find it and I want to use it to participate in the Newsgroups since Outlook 12 doesn't do newsgroups (or does it? I looked everywhere in it)

GEN3RIC said:
Im disappointed with the search in the 'start' menu.

Its a bit hard to find the program I want using the regular process of navigating through the folders, so when I try to type in the program name PAINT it come sup with nothing.

Also, Windows Mail, where is it hiding ? I can't find it and I want to use it to participate in the Newsgroups since Outlook 12 doesn't do newsgroups (or does it? I looked everywhere in it)
YEah, that was my problem with the start menu search.
worked fine on the last build

WIndows mail is the second one down from the top of the start menu...where it says emaill/window mail ;)

Got it figured out. This is my first post from Vista :D

Looks good but not sure if it's my kind of OS.

EDIT: Why cant I access application data? I want to copy a few things for firefox.

Last edited:
what does "not my kind of OS" even mean? its not that much different to XP in the general sense

Damn you all...I have to wait till I get back from March break to get it :(

Khayman said:
what does "not my kind of OS" even mean? its not that much different to XP in the general sense

I mean the look. My first impression is its too much. Altho I am starting to like it. I am so used to where things are in XP, alot of things are organized somewhat differently.

Wow this thread has been active. Kunal was right in the sense of the Tech Invites would really create conversations in this forum area :)

I have been a bit on the fence as if I want to really invest some time with it. I have used a few of the past builds, and it's pretty sweet. Reading over some of the cool stuff lately and seeing new screenshots, I think I'm going to slap together an older machine and run it off that outside of my LAN.

I figure a PIII 933MHz with 512MB of RAM should run OK, not great, but good enough.

AM - Keep in mind this is your first hands on experience with Vista. It's quite a change, but I'm sure you'll get used to it.

Well my first hands on experience has been a doozy. I access my network share on my server, vista made a link in "My Computer". So I deleted it not knowing it would DELETE ALL my downloads and reg tweak files :s

Running PC Inpector File Recovery now, I hope it finds it all as I made an oopsie by copying an older copy off my external. As long as it can find most I will be happy.

Could have done a "CTRL + Z", but that only works before another "explorer" action has been performed. Sorry bucko, good luck with the recovery.

Well I emptied the recycle bin and didnt click in to why there was like 3gb of files in it :s :s :s :s

I thought it was like one of those annying shortcuts that XP puts in the My Network Places when you access a share.

O how wrong I was :p

BTW does vista not have a boot screen besides the moving bar? I don't have a logo.

longhorn had a longhorn log current vista builds just have the bar.

BTW I've been testing out the screensaves and so far everyone has terminated with a BSOD when trying to exit the screensave - can anyone else confirm this??

Mike, the current bootscreen is a placeholder. As you can probably tell, the branding isn't done yet. It usually gets checked in much later in the cycle.

Anybody notice in System (winkey + break), advanced, startup, you are able to change default OS if you dual boot? I thought I was going to have to use their funky command prompt version to change that. Nope, just have to be logged in to Vista.

NetRyder said:
Mike, the current bootscreen is a placeholder. As you can probably tell, the branding isn't done yet. It usually gets checked in much later in the cycle.

Ok thats what I thought. Just wanted to make sure.

So I have been looking into how Vista uses IPv6 / Teredo Tunneling to transition IPv6 to IPv4. That's cool, I just dont know how easy its going to be to remember my IP now :) The interesting part.. in XP Pro SP2, I now use Teredo Tunneling. This just happened since I installed 5308. How or why did it transfer over? Did the router assign the same IP based on Vista's IPv6 knowing it would be compatible for both ? lol I've gotten so confused as to why its doing that Ive started to wonder if my router has feelings towards IPv6 ! :D

Example:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-F4-6E-E7-89-2C-FB
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 3ffe:831f:4004:1950:0:f46e:e789:2cfb

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5445:5245:444f%5
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.mn.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-01-64
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.100%2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Thank god for dynamic DNS client's, that's all I can say :p

Remembering an IP like that just WON'T happen.

I ordered some low level components last night, going to have a rig that tri-boots into VISTA/XP/Server 2003

I find it interesting that when you are in task manager, you can end "start" which will in turn create a "This program is not responding" screen. Which if you click on "end now" it will start all over.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back