Windows Vista Build 5342 Ultimate (EDW / March Refresh)

Khayman said:
can i just install the new one over the old one? or do i need to format

Also, whats a good AV for vista?
They make a clean install very simple if you are installing over your old one. Just select the partition you had and click format. Done in a few seconds, then install.

I was away from the computer the entire time it installed, aside from when I input my key, and when I had to select my computer name.

NetRyder said:
Good job with the bug-hunting, GEN3RIC. :D

Yeah, that's new to this build. The desktop was one of the items in Flip (Alt+Tab) in the previous builds, but it's just been added to Flip3D (Win+Tab) in 5342. :)
Thanks.

I really like the ability to go straight to desktop. And I am just now getting use to Winkey+Tab, let go of tab but keep winkey depressed + scroll button. Its fun! I almost wish they would add some sort of bicycle effect to it, where if you scrolled faster and let up it would keep scrolling until 'friction' made it stop. Somehow I have a feeling it would be counterproductive...:D

GEN3RIC said:
They make a clean install very simple if you are installing over your old one. Just select the partition you had and click format. Done in a few seconds, then install.

I was away from the computer the entire time it installed, aside from when I input my key, and when I had to select my computer name.
Yeah, the setup process has been streamlined quite a bit with respect to user interaction. It's become a click-click-boom process. Now they just need to speed it up before RTM. :)

Agreed.. I watched an entire movie (granted it might have been idly waiting for me for a bit).

Another note: has anybody been able to activate using their key? When I use the key to attempt online activation, it just stops trying - giving no error - and keeps me at the screen where i would enter the key. Hmm...

GEN3RIC said:
And I am just now getting use to Winkey+Tab, let go of tab but keep winkey depressed + scroll button. Its fun! I almost wish they would add some sort of bicycle effect to it, where if you scrolled faster and let up it would keep scrolling until 'friction' made it stop. Somehow I have a feeling it would be counterproductive...:D
Haha. If you want to play around a bit with Aero, check this out. :D
http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?p=674693#post674693

GEN3RIC said:
Another note: has anybody been able to activate using their key? When I use the key to attempt online activation, it just stops trying - giving no error - and keeps me at the screen where i would enter the key. Hmm...
Yes. There's a problem with the new product keys and the activation system. It's a known issue, and it's being looked into. You still have a couple of weeks before the build stops working, and a fix should be announced by then.

Oh great, now you tell me. :) I just submitted the activation bug using the Microsoft Beta Client program. Nifty recording feature.

For that little mod you mentioned.. i had to add the key DWM, I imagine that was implied. But when I go to the services, there is no User Experience Session Management. ?

GEN3RIC said:
Oh great, now you tell me. :) I just submitted the activation bug using the Microsoft Beta Client program. Nifty recording feature.

For that little mod you mentioned.. i had to add the key DWM, I imagine that was implied. But when I go to the services, there is no User Experience Session Management. ?
No worries. They'll just close the bug report when it's fixed. You can watch as you get feedback on your bug reports on Connect.

And yeah, I forgot. The service has been renamed. I don't quite remember exactly what it's called now though. Looks for something related to the Desktop Window Manager (DWM). There should be just one, and that's the one you need to restart. The Shift key trick works on Flip3D too, by the way. :)

If I am using 64 bit, should it be a DWORD 32bit or QWORD 64 bit? I think the error lies in the key I made.

I ask because I restarted it and I dont see anything different about SHIFT+minimize. Is it blatantly obvious?

Try both. It doesn't hurt. I'm not even sure if the reg hack still works in this build though. If it does, yes, it's very noticeable - you'll see everything happen in slow-motion when you have the Shift key held down. Pretty fancy. :)

Yea nothing is working. I looked into it and I see it used to be in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. I simply have no DWM key where it says I should, so I think making one isnt going to help at all....

Its not gone, its just not where I think it is. Must find!

soo...now what :) whats some good stuff to install on vista? any funky apps or such...wheres the side bar!

Will you all cry when I tell you I'm getting 5MB/sec? :p

I just burned 5308 to dvd now I gotta burn this to dvd :( still I have 125GB for vista to play with :) will have more when I get a replaement hard disk back from scan :)

Ok didn't watch the installation this time, but I guess it went pretty smoothly, a few things over the previous builds.

Now has Microsoft drivers for my Mobility 9000 which is nice, although I still hate ATI for not bothering to support this card especially as Dell are making every effort to make sure these laptops are not wiped out by newer models by keeping the accessories compatible. Aynway,

Many of the taskbar icons seem to have been updated, the battery, connection and volume buttons now all have colour! At least on the non-aero side, I will be installing the 64bit version on my main rig a little later on (if NVIDIA releasesd 64bit drivers, I can't remember)

There are also a few new gadgets built in for us to play with!

Attachments

• Vista.PNG
    Vista.PNG
    847.8 KB · Views: 142
where the side bar activated?

i found it under accessories (rss gadget doesn seem to do much)

Last edited:
WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No BSOD when loading my SATA drivers, Vista installing now :)

Also noticed it didn't show 50+ items when it scanned my disk (now has an dont show incompatible device option).

the black line in the side bar only appears when you hove the mouse over it

also, just to note, if i tye "paint" on the start menu search then the program paint does not come back in the results. did in the last build

Attachments

• windows.JPG
    windows.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 167
Dammit! Why Me?

I go thru the initial install, it reboots and I see the progress bar and then it reboots. I get the Error Recovery menu. I tried all the options. When I tried loading safe mode it stops at crcdisk.sys.

Now before I attempted to install, I did a CRC check and it didn't match and I have no idea why. I uses the CRC app off of connect, as well I copied the iso to another computer so I could burn it. Would that affect anything?

I'm currently doing a CRC on the computer that downloaded it.

Mike, if the CRC values don't match, it's a bad burn or your DVD drive is having trouble reading the disc. If you notice the same thing when you run the CRC utility on the ISO file, then there might have been a problem during the download, unfortunately. =\

You seem to be making progress though. Good luck! :D

I'm going to start downloading the x86 ISO for my laptop today.

Well the ISO and DVD had the same values.

EDIT: Ok I got it installed but it's as slow as hell. Any ideas?
EDIT2: NM!

Last edited:
Anyone have any problems with MSN messenger? they install fine (tried both 7.5 and 8) but can't sign in. Can sign in fine from my XP machine

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back