Windows Registry

Ok, seems to be working well. Got a couple questions.

It still picks up (reads) all these GUID entries, i'm taking for granted that you just haven't updated that particular part of the program pending this test. Will that be your next step - so they won't display after a scan?

Whenever i try to delete one of the GUID's i get an error message display telling me it can't be opened. This is your "exceptions" work, correct?

Now, and this one i think will be a toughy. Each time i pick an item and delete it, the scanned entries all disappear and i have to do a rescan if i want to delete any more entries.... is there any way to prevent this? If not then i think this is impractical because it takes several minutes for each scan to complete. I think once the GUID's no longer show up then that will help because i could then highlight the whole kitten kabootal and whack em, but picking them out individually is too time consuming when a rescan needs to be performed each time.

Things are looking good. I still have my help and support center after "attempting" to delete a dozen or so GUID's.

I ran the test using the version you have posted here. Is this the same as the latest one you emailed me?

lol, ok, but make sure you give credit to XP-erience.org in the same breath... wouldn't be happenin w/o this venue, well, at least my involvement.

In fact, didn't one of the posters, Enigma X, first person who tried it, like it alot & say it found more "Bad entries" than Microsoft's OWN RegClean 4.1?

Heck, mine has better features & control that the one from Microsoft does man! At least you can SEE what it is doing!

Yes, I like the interface and control yours offers. I would also like to see one aspect in yours that is in Regclean - saving everything to and easily re-integratable .reg file. That, and the ability to select mulitple lines for copying or saving, etc. I think those two added features would make your program second to none.

heehee APK and Lonman, that was me saying that :D

good work, both of you...:)

i'd like a copy of this new version...

hopefully, it won't go and delete something else in windows ;)

j/k. good work guys.

more saavy users would have gone to those areas & done an export themselves...
You got the right guy on this then, cause I am saavy, but there are just some tasks that i don't really think old Joe common user (like myself) ever really wants to learn, like registry editing. If you can develop it to take the guess work out of it, it will be successful. Kinda like coolinfo - i don't have a clue "how" it does what it does - i'm just pleased as punch that it does it as "cool" as it does. KISFSP "keep it simple for stupid people" lol. You gotta know that most people will run something and do what it says just because. We're sheep for the most part and trust is ingrained (thank God). Most of the time something like this is used is when someone trusted someone else's program to do what it was supposed to and now they have a bunch of junk being called from the registry that is no longer there - and windows loves to show off it's prowess by reminding you it's not there, lol (probably 99.9% of your users will be using it, or have been referred to your program for this reason).

Oh, i haven't got the email yet, had some time to kill, lol.

Same thing on my end. Still showing all the GUID's. I'm kind of concerned about this in case something got missed between us - i don't want to look for it by just trying to delete each and being denied access in case i actually find one.

Each time i pick out something to delete everthing vanishes and i have to rescan to do more tinkering. I want to keep most of the junk in there so i have something to keep scanning for and testing your changes on. I think this is a major issue (that i have to rescan each time when i delete something).

LCD position looks good.

From email: I will be working on the line by line registry .reg files creators... One line at a time, or all at once you think?
Both, if it's possible, or those that are highlighted.

One more suggestion. Can you get the the window to scroll using the wheel mouse feature? And i noticed that it's not a "dynamic" scroll using the scroll bar - i drag it and the window doesnt "follow" but jumps to the position i stop at. The up-down buttons work as they should though so take this as a "nit-piky, like to see" features.

Ok, still got help and support center, but i haven't tested every key just in case we missed one.

Oh, the deal about coolinfo. No big deal, i appreciate your position. I was only using it as an example. I'd rather have simple that works like it's supposed to over complex that doesn't any day of the week was really my point.

this site will have that EXCLUSIVELY!
Now THAT's cool!!

One more thing i forgot to mention. When i open up system information (nice feature btw) i'm told my processor is an intel pentium - i'm running a T-bird. again nit-piky so take it or leave it.

In the credits :D need to change it to .org - got .com now.

I know you gotta be tired. I'm loathe to post this, but help and support is gone again. I've been deleting and scanning, deleting and scanning. All of the GUID's like this:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT: TypeLib\{0D3DEBA1-DEBE-11D1-8B87-00C04FD7A924}\1.0\0\win32
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT: TypeLib\{0D3DEBA1-DEBE-11D1-8B87-00C04FD7A924}\1.0\HELPDIR
seem to be protected.

All the ones like this:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE: Software\Classes\TypeLib\{1C565858-F302-471E-B409-F180AA4ABEC6}\1.0\HELPDIR
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE: Software\Classes\TypeLib\{29894293-C0FE-11D1-8D87-0060088F38C8}\1.0\0\win32
deleted without a problem.

I'll reboot and verify, but right after i deleted them help and support wouldn't start. Oh, the ones that wouldn't allow me to delete them didn't show up on the next scan. The scan came up zero.

I won't restore until i hear back from you in case you want me to try something else.

Oh, question. Can i make a .reg file from the .txt file i created with the keys i think caused this, are they in the correct format for that?

DAMN, one of the most biggests threads ever...and i don't even know what it's about.

Yeah, damn, get some rest. Geez, you'll be able to do more with a clear mind, u know that. MAKE yourself NOT work on this. Distract yourself for a bit.

I'll go ahead and do a restore and wait on your next release SOMETIME TOMORROW (busily tapping foot in a motherly fashion).

I can appreciate the burn-out factor so i'm harping - friends don't let friends code drunk, or something like that, lol.

What a way to spend a Saturday nite! lol... apk
What!? Aren't we having fun, yet? :D

Fire when ready Capt'n, goin to make a restore point right NOW, lol.

Man, i had a hell of a time with Ramdisk... but that's a whole nother issue - got it working again though. I'm having fun installing different stuff on it. Man, talk about fast, it's a kik.

No, it was a problem with system restore. I had it loaded when i restored to get my help and support back. Problem was i didn't restore back far enough and evertime i tried to reinstall i'd get the error "already here, gotta go to add/remove and reboot, then try agin" type stuff. Would do that over and over and over with no joy. Finally restored back behind the Ramdisk installation and all is well in Lon's world once again.

I'm not really setting it up to be dependent on it yet. I don't have the cash at the moment to purchase it. But what i've seen so far, it's one of those "must have" items. So i'll play with it for now, until it expires, then i'll figure out which bill goes unpaid to get it. The possibilties for this program are really promising, i really like it. I've got 1.5 gig of memory so it's a way to actually use it. I figure i'm safe dedicating a full gig to it and still not lose out on regular performance at all (that's what i just set it up to).

When i can buy it i'll probably put my page file on it. I don't think using it for temp files is practical. The only real benifit for doing that is privacy - not wanting someone to see my tracks. I've got software that can clean those up. As far as performance though, i don't think it's an enhancement because Interneting is always going to be slow compared to what the computer can actually do. I think that's more of a marketing ploy.

Yours is actually the one that got me started. It immediately intrigued me. My first thought was "has anyone cracked this to make it bigger?" In turn that prompted my research for a bigger one and lo and behold, what do i find??? Your name on the instructions page at SuperSpeed - i'm impressed man, really.

What i actually want to use it for is installing applications to it, zipping those babies up, and using it that way. Man, doing that alone will cause me to rethink how i use my computer. One thing immediately apparant is that my primary partition size could be reduced quite a bit - in turn setting up a storage partition for the zipped installations.

Are you working on developing yours beyond the 32 meg size? That barrier is the restriction, especially in the age where RAM has finally gotton dirt cheap and the limits, just for the home PC, are currently hitting 4gig. I really expect this technology to develop to the point almost everything is going to be loaded to RAM - that's where i'll be researhing next, how to put as much of my OS in there as possible - now THAT will make a fast computer.

They are the future, no doubt about it. Solid State mirrored to harddisk RAMDRIVES, like the Quantum Rushmore are it!
I think that and wireless is where everything is going to. If you can get in on this ground level in either of those, and have the saavy that you appear to have, you could become a VERY rich man, almost overnight. I'm serious, I think the dependancy on these two technologies alone is going to grow exponentially very soon.

Cool. This might take a little bit. If i have to delete items from between items that won't delete then i'll have to rescan a few times to get everything.

I'll keep an eye on the aesthetics and make my suggestions. As they say, no worries mate :D

Man, your isp email server sucks, lol. I'm still waiting on it.

Got it. be with you when i'm done.

Working on a list on the fly while i'm scanning and deleting. You've already caught some of this stuff.

Neet to edit icons, set backgrounds transparent.

APK_icons.jpg

Don't forget to bundle instructions.txt with the final zip package.

When i delete something the quick menu "Analyze" button greys out and won't let me perform a new scan from there, have to use the pull-down menu.

If I delete using the quick menu option, it doesn't. Have to delete using the right clik pop-up or main menus.

Is there a way to set-up a progress meter in the tray icon or open program button? Handy for monitoring progress while minimized.

"Done, Errors Found (See above and below):" Suggest rephrase - something a little less dramatic, more descriptive of what the "error" is. At first i thought the program was having difficulty completing due to undefined errors.

On the quick menu at the top of main program window it says "Export Selected." Does that mean i can highlight all i want and then export? The pop-up menu says "Export selected grid entry." Is this the same function? And, where does it go when i export? I select something to export and i get no indications if it's done or where it goes.

That's it so far. Scanning and deleting.

Update to previous. I can't get anything to delete. I highlight and chose delete (quick menu button, right clik pop-up menu) they don't. I'll try the main menu now, let you know if it works after scan.

Are we having fun now?? :D :p

Too bad i couldn't put my registry on my ramdisk, bet that would perform a fast analysis.

Nope, i can't delete anything. All three avenues aren't working in this copy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back