Upload speed stinks, not sure why

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
Ok, I am using RoadRunner cable internet service with a 1.5MBit/250KBit bandwidth. But no matter what I do I cannot seem to upload at a rate faster than 45k/s. I called RR and they say everything is fine, but then again they always say their stuff is fine.

Is there a way I can check and see if anything on my end is bottlenecking my upload speed? I recently (last night) install a trial of Bulletproof FTP server to transfer a few very large files to my wife in CA and I couldn't get the connection to upload faster than 45k/s. We both have the same cable connection type.

I have also tried to upload large image files to other servers for testing but it still don't exceed aprox. 45k/s.

Kush

High On Life!
i wish i could even upload at a quarter of that speed without choaking my connection, cherish what u have my friend haha!

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
Bits != bytes.. know which one you are talking about.

Most ISP's state bandwidth in terms of bits.. most programs (like IE and mozilla) usually default to stating download/upload speed in terms of Bytes.

8 bits = 1 Byte

You do the math and see your 45KBytes is roughly equal to 360KBits which means RR is giving you MORE than your alloted bandwidth.

<sarcasm on>
That makes you one of the few people that have ever called their cable company to complain about them giving you more than what you asked for.
<sarcasm off>

--ftiz

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
You know what, your right! Crap, I got all my KBits and Bytes messed up with Megabytes and Bits when I was checking the specs. They are giveing me what I am supposed to get, but I miss read/understood the specs at the time and was thinking it was Megabytes, but that can't be cause my DL speed is only 1.5 megabytes/s.

DOH! I can be such an idiot sometimes.

And ofcourse my wifes DL speed from my FTP will be limited by my max upload speed, damn.

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
fitz said:
You do the math and see your 45KBytes is roughly equal to 360KBits which means RR is giving you MORE than your alloted bandwidth.
--ftiz
Thats because RoadRunner's speed is 2000kbps down and 384kbps up, not 1.5/256

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
Xie said:
Yeah your speeds are right on unless you upgrade to that new crazy pay out the arse level. :p
yea, but I don't use my FTP server enough to justify the additional cost. Plus I am too poor for more than $45 a month....LOL

Members online

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut