Upload speed stinks, not sure why

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
Ok, I am using RoadRunner cable internet service with a 1.5MBit/250KBit bandwidth. But no matter what I do I cannot seem to upload at a rate faster than 45k/s. I called RR and they say everything is fine, but then again they always say their stuff is fine.

Is there a way I can check and see if anything on my end is bottlenecking my upload speed? I recently (last night) install a trial of Bulletproof FTP server to transfer a few very large files to my wife in CA and I couldn't get the connection to upload faster than 45k/s. We both have the same cable connection type.

I have also tried to upload large image files to other servers for testing but it still don't exceed aprox. 45k/s.

i have road runner too and i upload at those same speeds. tho it may seem slow its a lot faster than most people can upload.

i wish i could even upload at a quarter of that speed without choaking my connection, cherish what u have my friend haha!

250 Kbits = about 31 Kbytes, so it looks to be doing alright (unless you mean bits when you say 45k/s)

Bits != bytes.. know which one you are talking about.

Most ISP's state bandwidth in terms of bits.. most programs (like IE and mozilla) usually default to stating download/upload speed in terms of Bytes.

8 bits = 1 Byte

You do the math and see your 45KBytes is roughly equal to 360KBits which means RR is giving you MORE than your alloted bandwidth.

<sarcasm on>
That makes you one of the few people that have ever called their cable company to complain about them giving you more than what you asked for.
<sarcasm off>

--ftiz

haha true, couldnt have said it better fitz. <begging on> i need fast internet!<begginr reamains on> LOL

You know what, your right! Crap, I got all my KBits and Bytes messed up with Megabytes and Bits when I was checking the specs. They are giveing me what I am supposed to get, but I miss read/understood the specs at the time and was thinking it was Megabytes, but that can't be cause my DL speed is only 1.5 megabytes/s.

DOH! I can be such an idiot sometimes.

And ofcourse my wifes DL speed from my FTP will be limited by my max upload speed, damn.

fitz said:
You do the math and see your 45KBytes is roughly equal to 360KBits which means RR is giving you MORE than your alloted bandwidth.
--ftiz

Thats because RoadRunner's speed is 2000kbps down and 384kbps up, not 1.5/256

Yeah your speeds are right on unless you upgrade to that new crazy pay out the arse level. :p

Xie said:
Yeah your speeds are right on unless you upgrade to that new crazy pay out the arse level. :p
yea, but I don't use my FTP server enough to justify the additional cost. Plus I am too poor for more than $45 a month....LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back