Undeletable Folders

darkforce898

OSNN Newbie
Undeletable Folders [Solved]

Yay, another post. Friend recommended the forums (X-istence) so I guess I can knock out all of these problems I have.

Windows Xp Professional 64bit

I have two files on my computer that I cannot delete, at all. Even from a different operating system.

They are both in this folder. It used to be the windows folder of a previous Windows installation but I had to reinstall and didn't want to lose my files. Went to delete the whole old windows folder and couldn't delete these. Closed explorer and tried to delete them from Command Prompt. No go. So i renamed the folder hoping to be able to delete it next time I booted up. Still no go. Booted into Windows Vista on a different partition still no go.

C:\1\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\
FlashUtil9c.exe
FlDbg9c.ocx

I looked at the properties of these folders and they say Read Only and I tried to change that but it said I didn't have permission. Yet I am on the Administrator account.

I used to use a tool called Unlocker on my old computer when something like this would happen but it is not compatible with 64bit Windows.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Two things to try

(1) Boot up into Safemode With Command Prompt and delete from there

(2) Boot up from your XP CD and get into the recovery console and delete from there

you will need to change ownership on the file/folders - cant remember the layout of this on vista, but on xp you would select the folder, right click selct properties - secuirty - advanced - owner, click on the name of the person - click apply

I gave myself full ownership of the folder and it still will not let me delete or change anything about it. It gives me Access is denied.

Last edited:
Ok, I got it. Even though I had ownership and gave Administrators Full Access to the files, they still had Everyone on the deny list. Once I changed that everything worked fine and I was able to delete. Thanks guys :]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back