"System Idle Process" Explained

Re: system idle process

is it good or bad to have the system idle process over 90?

that depends on what your definition of good or bad is

if the process is over 90 it means your processor is doing only about 10 percent of what it's capable

this is good if you all of a sudden want to do something else there are plenty of resources available

it's bad in the sense that most of your computing ability is being wasted

all the process does is indicate how much of your processor is not being used...90 means your processor is not using 90 percent of it's capability
Well like you said (the bad ways), how can I increase my computing ability. If its security issues, I'm not sure thats the problem. I have 2 virus scanners working together. Same with spyware. I also have 2 programs that help boost the computers performance. I usually run them once a week. But some are daily. What can I do to boost it then. I

Just a suggestion - never run two AV's at the same time! Oh BTW - which two, as some AV's are real resource hogs - which would slow you down. System Idle Process is not your problem! That said - I'll go back into hibernation and let perris handle your answer! :speechless:

Just a suggestion - never run two AV's at the same time! Oh BTW - which two, as some AV's are real resource hogs - which would slow you down. System Idle Process is not your problem! That said - I'll go back into hibernation and let perris handle your answer! :speechless:
I have AVG and Multi-virus cleaner. I can take off the multi one though. thats not a problem. But it seems to me for sure I have a virus, but neither one picks anything up. Spybot always works fine.

I posted a screenshot:

http://www.the-dowds.com/Misc/Idle.htm

It shows "CPU Usage" at 50% at the same time that "System Idle Process" is at 94%.

Doesn't 50% and 94% sum to more than 100% ?
that's interesting, I have no explanation for that what so ever

however if you add up your processes the system idle is correct and the reported cpu useage is wrong

if it's not a photoshpped picture I think a root kit might be able to access the taskmanager and give some faulty readings but I have no other idea for you

I posted a screenshot:

http://www.the-dowds.com/Misc/Idle.htm

It shows "CPU Usage" at 50% at the same time that "System Idle Process" is at 94%.

Doesn't 50% and 94% sum to more than 100% ?

This post actually scared me.

In any case, I brought up the trusty TM and messed around, opening 3 or 4 apps at once. The 'CPU usage' at the bottom (in above screenshot on our 1 post wonder's link it's 50%) lags by about a second. So it's easy - take a screenshot while it lags. If you catch it, the 'System Idle Process' value is correct, but the CPU usage only catches up about 1 second later - giving you a scary snapshot of a Desktop OUT OF CONTROL !!!!

The sky is falling !

;)

Yea, I Photoshopped it or caught it during a lag.

How many screenshots do you "experts" need?

Geez, my system had slowed to a crawl, I opened Windows Task Manager, watched it for a while being inconsistent with your theories, captured a screenshot and it's "photoshopped" or I caught it during some lag.

Thanks for all the help.

Appreciate it.

BIG HELP

Give us more info yosef.

we have a screen shot so far, if we can help we need more info.

Type of system - processor, memory.

Have you run adaware, spybot, crap cleaner, can we get a hijack this log post as well?

See:

http://www.the-dowds.com/Misc/Idle2.htm

for what my system is doing right now.

This is the config of my system:

Item # Item Description Unit Price Qty. Extended Price
1014230R Gateway NX860XL $1,768.48 1 $1,806.71
3402488 Genuine Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 1
3402430 Genuine Microsoft Windows XP Media Center OS Backup Media 1
3402853 No McAfee Security Subscription Selected (XP) 1
9535915 Platinum 1
3408008R Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2.00GHz, 667MHz, 4MB L2) 1
3402544R 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-1024MB modules) 1
3402462R 80GB 7200rpm Serial ATA hard drive 1
3402787 Cyberlink CDRW and PowerDVD Solution 2-Channel 1
3408291R 17.0" WSXGA+ Ultrabright TFT Active Matrix (1680x1050) Plati 1
3408212R Chassis w/ Intel 945PM Chipset & IEEE1394 (Sonic C)-Platinum 1
3402773R nVidia 7900 GS 256MB Graphics Card (for Sonic-C) 1
3400473R 120 Watt AC Adapter and Power Cord for M460/M680/M685 1
3402443R Integrated Intel 802.11a/b/g Wireless Networking 1
3402445R Bluetooth Wireless Networking Module 1
3402635 Intel WLAN to Bluetooth Cabling 1
3402647 Napster Trial Download 1
3402750 Non-Microsoft Software EULA - US 1
3402777 Out of Box Experience - US English Version - Retail & Direct 1
3402804 Consumer 1 Year Standard Limited Warranty Documentation 1
3402329 Brand, Gateway (DWL) 1
3402349 System Type, Notebook (DWL) 1
3402339 Locale, English (USA) (DWL) 1
3402327 Channel - Direct (DWL) 1
1535429 Microsoft Works 8.5 1
1533628 C-ValuePln 3yr Parts/Labor/NoOnsite/TechSup-MBHigh1Yr 1
2522002R Addtl. 120 Watt AC Adapter (for Mys/Mys-C/Son/ Son-C) 2
3408299R 8x Multi-Format Dbl Lyr DVD Writer(DVD¦R/¦RW/CD-RW) Plati Ed 1
3402448 Primary 8-Cell Lithium Ion Battery w/ 1 Yr. Limited Warranty 1
9100532 ROYALTY FOR NON MICROSOFT SOFTWARE 2
9100534 ROYALTY FOR MICROSOFT OPERATING SYSTEM 2

Yosef,

Frustrated or not, being offensive to people trying to help you will not benefit you in anyway.

That said run this over your PC: https://europe.f-secure.com/exclude/blacklight/fsbl.exe

It's F-Secure's rootkit scanner. I do not know how effective this is however so it may be incredibly useful, or it could be as helpful as a wet tissue.

LOLA,

My apologies.

Apparently, on your forum, being referred to as a liar and as "our 1 post wonder" are comments intended to, as you put it, "trying to help."

WRT:

> That said run this over your PC: https://europe.f-
> secure.com/exclude/blacklight/fsbl.exe
>
> It's F-Secure's rootkit scanner. I do not know how
> effective this is however so it may be incredibly useful,
> or it could be as helpful as a wet tissue.

reports: "Scan complete. No hidden items found."

Spybot, which I use every couple weeks, reports everything fine too.

I use BitDefender virus protection.

I hope my prior post satisfies "Mastershakes" request for "Type of system - processor, memory."

WRT his request "Have you run adaware, spybot, crap cleaner, can we get a hijack this log post as well?"

I don't know what "crap cleaner" or "Hijack this log post" means.

Please pardon my offensive ignorance.

Yosef,

While I understand you are frustrated, aggressive posting will not be tolerated. Period. Cool down and you will find the rest of us vastly more accommodating.

Crap Cleaner can be located at http://www.ccleaner.com
HiJackThis you will need to search for on google as it tends to move around a lot.

Further to this I suggest removing BitDefender temporarily (or really permanently) and running the nod32 trial over your pc. This can be obtained at http://www.eset.com/

Here is Hijack This Download it, and run it. Post the results here.

Get another screenshot as well of the CPU usage / System Idle - this time organize the CPU usage column so we see what .exe is taking the CPU - I spotted a scroll bar - so try moving it around til we find the executable taking up the processing time.

As stated by Lord - get Nod32 on there - I notice you didn't choose Mcafee from your bill there ... good move.

Nice system.

another question - is spybot up to date? is adaware up to date?

Note for mods / admins - I saw this thread get merged earlier as we talked of System Idle - perhaps give it back it's own thread since we are now troubleshooting this Gateway comp?

Last edited:
OK... it's a laptop....
I may also suggest getting this running -
http://www.pbus-167.com/chc.htm

to see if it overheats at all.
Anything my google results are giving me, the only issues so far people seem to report on this laptop is that it overheats after awhile. ... but they were playing Doom III at max settings.

Basically we need to assist you in removing all the bloatware Gateway has installed. I'm still trying to track down a good list.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back