Safari 3 (browser) Public Beta available now!

BTW, Safari was never meant to be customised. It was meant to be plain, and as such easier to use.
I don't really buy this, btw. The "fewer features equals easier to use" argument makes sense in certain cases, but this isn't one them.

The ability to customize UI elements (which is what Saz was referring to) doesn't take anything away from ease of use, if implemented properly. A new user could sit in front of a computer running Firefox and would be able to navigate his way around the web just fine without ever knowing that the toolbars in the chrome can be rearranged, or that the entire chrome is skinnable. A power-user, on the other hand, is free to change things around to suit his/her needs.

It's one of those things that not many applications are able to achieve - staying out of a user's way, but at the same time, allowing for customization and extensibility. Firefox, despite some of its other issues, has addressed this aspect wonderfully well, I think.

I don't really buy this, btw. The "fewer features equals easier to use" argument makes sense in certain cases, but this isn't one them.

The ability to customize UI elements (which is what Saz was referring to) doesn't take anything away from ease of use, if implemented properly. A new user could sit in front of a computer running Firefox and would be able to navigate his way around the web just fine without ever knowing that the toolbars in the chrome can be rearranged, or that the entire chrome is skinnable. A power-user, on the other hand, is free to change things around to suit his/her needs.

It's one of those things that not many applications are able to achieve - staying out of a user's way, but at the same time, allowing for customization and extensibility. Firefox, despite some of its other issues, has addressed this aspect wonderfully well, I think.

They haven't pushed it out to Windows but Mac side any application which uses the NSToolbar class can have its toolbar customised. This uses the applications plist as far as I know which is not something they appear to have pushed out to windows. On the Mac you can right click on any toolbar and choose "Customize Toolbar", so every applications toolbar is customisable, though admittedly some more than others.

No session saver in the standard install, and this is supposed to be "the world's best web browser"?

LOL.

You are all fooled, except Saz because he knows better.

And this is precisely why, despite it's faults, I continue to use it. FF@ is not a bad browser precisely because of the many facets it offers.

I LIKE the fact that I can actually play around with this tool and, unlike a nix based o/s (such as Ubuntu) use it to my liking without having my hair turn gray figuring stuff out.

I pray for the day IE is as customizable. But it likely wont be due to security concerns.

No session saver in the standard install, and this is supposed to be "the world's best web browser"?

LOL.

I lol'd on that too, but at the same time people say Firefox is the bestest ever, but you need a bunch of extensions for it to be that way :p nowts perfect ;)

Reality: A Distortion Field :p

Not a fan of teh inq, but they make a funny once in a while :)

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=40266

Some golden nuggets in that thing :D
Teh hilarity.
rofl.gif

Looks like Apple left in all the hooks into the OS X application security layers in the Windows version of Safari which obviously dont exist Windows side so WinSafari is a possible intrusion vector into your machine now.

Details

Maybe its a plan of Apple. "Want a Secure Browsing experience with Safari, Get a Mac" :p

Did anyone read my review?

What makes you think I can read?

But I agree with whatever it is you may have though.

Except where we differed.

In which case I think your midgethood comes into question.

The browser has been updated to 3.0.1 to fix several issues.

The security improvements in Safari Beta 3.0.1 include correction for a "command injection vulnerability," corrected with additional processing and validation of URLs that could otherwise lead to an unexpected termination of the browser; an out-of-bounds memory read issue; and a race condition that can allow cross-site scripting using a JavaScript exploit

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back