Our Favorite Tweaks

the batch worked even though I posted it wrong...I guess the breaks weren't seen.

this is the batch with the breaks

Code:
@echo off
start /B "internet explorer" "http://www.osnn.net/forum/search.php?do=getnew

start /B "cookie wall" "C:\Program Files\AnalogX\CookieWall\cookie.exe"

start /B "star downloader" "C:\Program Files\Star Downloader\stardown.exe"

start /B "clip trak" "C:\Program Files\ClipTrak\ClipTrak.exe"

start /B "ad watch" "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE Plus\Ad-Watch.exe"

do this if you want to send a courtesy copy of an email but you don't want the first recipient to know about the copy going out to other people...this is great for documentation

usee the Bcc (blind courtesy copy) field. it might be hidden in your Outlook Express...just make it visible from a new message window, pull down the View menu and hit "All Headers."

forgot this one when I got my last laptop;

you can create a diary, or log, that time stamps everytime you open it...I'm starting my diary today;

first, open notepad...(winkey+run, type notepad)

paste the following...it must be caps

.LOG

hit file, save as...name it whatever you want, I call mine "diary"

I saved mine on my desktop...that's it...everytime you open it, it'll have a time stamp...cool

Its been a long time since I last visited these forums. Glad to see all the great info to still be resourced here.
This more then likely a repeat somewhere in these forums, but a simplistic one for entering an address with a .com.

Instead of typing "http://www.msn.com" type only msn and hold ctrl and enter and IE fills in the rest

perris said:
I JUST HAD TO RENAME MY "RECYCLE BIN"...sheeesh, who came up with "recycle bin"

...it's a trash can, or garbage can, or anything you want, but you can not call it "recycle bin", so here's how to give yourself access to re nameing it.

hit that regedit shortcut you have on your desktop by now, and go here;

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder

change "Attributes" to show 50,01,00,20
change "CallForAttributes" to show 00000000

now you just right click on the bin, and "re name" becomes available.

you might as well give yourself a new icon for it too, thus;

right-click on the desktop and go to Display Properties, Desktop Tab, Customize Desktop Button and change icon for trash.
Thanks, I have been trying to get rid of that stupid "recycle bin" for a long time. Now I called it for what it is "GARBAGE BIN"
Thank you

A better way(rather than the registry hack) would be to right click on Recycle Bin, click Explore, then in the Explorer window click rename and then rename it to anything you want.

after installing autopatcher it installed tweakui and that removed my shortcut arrows, no matter what i do in tweakui to restore it, it wont. i want the arrows back

These are the keys that AutoPatcher changes, if you run this it should be fixed.

You must restart explorer.exe for the changes to take effect.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile]
@="Shortcut"
"EditFlags"=dword:00000001
"NeverShowExt"=""
"IsShortcut"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\piffile]
@="Shortcut to MS-DOS Program"
"EditFlags"=hex:01,00,00,00
"NeverShowExt"=""
"IsShortcut"=""

probably posted this before, but it's really a good one for anyone that doesn't know it;

Pretty darned convenient;

right click the start menu>properties>customize>advanced

scroll down to control panel and click;

display as a menu

now, you don't have to open the control panel to get what you want, the complete ncnsole will pagedown when you click on the link on your start panel

you can do this with "my computer" the "my documents, music, etc

it's really VERY helpfull in the control panel, give that a go first

My collection of Scripts, Custom Programs and Registry modifications, updated.

*Updated May 2006*

Attachments

• Scripts.part1.rar
    976.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Scripts.part2.rar
    320.1 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
perris said:
this is pretty important for biginners;

a little ditty for those of you that don't know how to prevent malicous cookies from gettin on your box;

first, you need to open security properties...the easiest way to do this, is to double click the tiny planet icon that's on the bottom right of your browser...then hit security, then hit restrickted sites.

now paste the following sites...include the little *...this is a wild charachter, so just include it;

*.valueclick.com
*.valueclick.net
*.phase2media.com
*.admonitor.com
*.admonitor.net
*.190.com
*.flycast.com

there are others, but this is a start
Thanks for all these great tips. I'm a Firefox user, and just wanted to note that to restrict these sites in Mozilla, go to the Tools menu and select Options. From there go to Web Features and click on Exceptions. You can "block" all of these sites from there.

A good firewall and virus/adware/spyware scanning.

There are some tweaks for faster browsing if you use Firefox.

This is for broadband connections, .:)

*Make sure your logged on as actually "Administrator".
*Start->Run->type gpedit.msc
*Expand the "Local Computer Policy" branch.
*Expand the "Administrative Templates" branch.
*Expand the "Network Branch".
*Highlight the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in left window.
*In right window double-click the "Limit Reservable Bandwidth" setting.
*On setting tab check the "Enabled" item.
*Where it says "Bandwidth limit %" change it to read 0.

Effect is immediate on some systems, some need to re-boot. This is more of a counter what XP does. some programs can request up to 20% of the bandwidth be reserved for them, even with QoS disabled.

Last edited:
I thought we'd come to the conclusion that QoS has no effect? AFAIK, it only uses bandwidth if necessary.

qos has no affect on your bandwidth...it's there for critical downloads and it is almost never invoked

even if a program is set to use qos, it will only affect bandwidth when a download is in progress

security updates would be one instance of qos reserving bandwidth

I suppose there are some programs that could be written to invoke qos but I don't know which ones, and as I say, it would only affect the bandwidth during an important download

the simplest method to disable qos is tp turn off the service

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back