Our Favorite Tweaks

Disable Image Preview (Windows XP)
When you open an image file in Windows XP the default action is to "Preview" it using the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. This tweak can be used to disable the Preview image option.

Registry Settings
System Key: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview]
Value Name: (Default)
Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
Value Data: Blank or {e84fda7c-1d6a-45f6-b725-cb260c236066}

Clear the value of "(Default)" to disable the default image preview action. You can restore the preview action by set the value to "{e84fda7c-1d6a-45f6-b725-cb260c236066}"

i'm trying to disable the pic and fax viewer(image preview) but cant find that in the registry can someone help?

EDIT:

nevermind i found it!!! damn those small fonts!! :D

Don't know if this is in here but to completly disable the "Send to" context menu remove the following registry key:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Send To]
@="{7BA4C740-9E81-11CF-99D3-00AA004AE837}"

To remove "Pin to Start Menu'":
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{a2a9545d-a0c2-42b4-9708-a0b2badd77c8}]
@="Start Menu Pin"

To remove "Open with...":
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Open With]
@="{09799AFB-AD67-11d1-ABCD-00C04FC30936}"

Or run the attached registry files.

Attachments

• remove 'send to'.zip
    321 bytes · Views: 150
  • remove 'pin to start menu'.zip
    324 bytes · Views: 153
  • remove 'open with'.zip
    306 bytes · Views: 153
I zipped up my entire 'resources' folder, in which I like to put all my favourite tweaks or just dump important notes on programs that I want to use later.

Included is my Firefox Adblock filter list, notes from the developer of admuncher on how to use advanced filtering to remove blank tables, a list of shell modifications (context menus), custom scripts, and a list of registry entries I've gleaned from here and there over the years, and a few other misc things.

Mainly I'm posting this for people looking for information on such things, I know I learn how things function by looking at the way they work and extrapolating their uses. Basically this is just a big treasure trove of interesting information, providing a good start for anyone wanting to create their own batches or registry mods. If you were to pull apart any of my scripts you could get a pretty good idea on how to use the commands I used, and with a little googling the possibilities are endless.

NEW LINK

Oh it was a sweet day today, I finally killed the "Scanners & Cameras" place in My Computer and it was so bloody easy, figures... :rolleyes:

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\DelegateFolders\{E211B736-43FD-11D1-9EFB-0000F8757FCD}]
@="Scanners & Cameras"

You know...if you REALLY, REALLY wanted to you could easily add your own files/folders to My Computer with a bit of modification of this tweak. (HINT) ;)

Attachments

• RemoveScanner&Cameras.zip
    405 bytes · Views: 156
your being busy chaos

great zips...I've saved your notes zip...thanx for that

restart icon ?

perris said:
MY PERSONAL ORDER, FOR TURBO CHARGING MY OS,
AFTER REFORMAT
1)

a restart button on your desktop:

1. Create a shortcut (Right-click on desktop, select New > Shortcut).

2. For location, type the following:

shutdown -r -t 0

3. Click Next, enter a name for the shortcut ("Restart" is appropriate), and click Fini
Where do I find the restart icon ? I found the shutdown one easily but not restart...

Perris, where are you ? I'm sure you have a solution for my above question...

Restart and Switch user icons

Attachments

• icons.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 189
when you right click and go to properties on this shortcut, there is no icon, but your icon folder shouold open up when you hit ok on the choose folder window that pops up

this doesn't happen on your box howling wolf?

if not, then you won't be able to look for icons in other folders either.

let us know if the option to search for icons pops up after you hit enter when you go through the change icon dialouge

if it does open, khaymans icons are pretty nice, just download them and paste the location into the window that pops up

this should be the default locaation for your other icons

%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll

I remember somewhere that there was a tweak to speed up LAN browsing in XP. Can someone help ? Sorry if this has been asked before

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]
@="Scheduled Tasks"

FYI, its in my NOTES posted above.

I just updated them too, couple new things.

found something I never knew;

first, open a new browser window with control+n

(so I don't mess you up)

then double click the icon in firefox or ie on the very top left!!!!

I never knew that

when yahoo games opens up always press ctrl + n to see coding.

Howling Wolf said:
Where do I find the restart icon ? I found the shutdown one easily but not restart...

Attachments

• MyIcons.zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 165
if you have the google toolbar, hit the tiny scroll down arrow that's just to the right of the word "google"

hit "options", hit "open in new window"

this should be the default I think, but I like it better

Here is an update from my resources file. It is a compilation of my favourite tweaks gleaned over the years, and my own scripts. My resources folder also contains programs that are not included in the main update but you can get them at the following links.

Kill-Wait-Start (KWS)
An infinite number of kill_processes and start_processes can be defined.

Wait-Go
This program can be used to run up to 7 different paths in succession.

Go
This program can be used to run up to 4 different paths in succession.

StartClock - please direct questions to my email or the StartClock thread
This program will completely replace the tray clock on the right hand side of your start menu bar by replacing the 'start' text with the current time.

Automated Disk Optimizer
Executes disk optimizing utilities such as, spybot, ad-aware, regclearner, DIRMS, cleanmgr.

*scripts & Regs Updated Below*

Last edited:
Chaos, i love those auto-it routines.
Im using them for sure.
Waiting for more of ´em :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back