NvNews + OSNN + SP Folding Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Folding@home Team page created.

maddoctor said:
Guys, guys, guys, you did not understood my point.Thething was not touse my sig (which is from my Folding Team - HellasFolding), butsomeone to go to the liquid ninja site and register/createyour teamssig (like ours).This you should do. :nervous:

Oh, you can do that? *heads over*

vern said:
Just curious ... do any of you actually understand whatfolding is? I've read the FAQs ... but thats like me trying tounderstand quantum mechanics ... just repeating what someone else hassaid. Also, to those who have the graphical version ... what are weactually seeing? What are the blue and red atoms? Are they atoms?Cells?

It's atoms. Proteins are huge molecules. If you "build" a molecule, itsorts out the atoms at certain angles depending on what atoms arearound it and where (intra atomic forces, stuff about electron cloudsand what not). The thing is, everytime you add an atom (theoreticallyof course) it affects the atoms around it. They shift slightly to forthe most stable (i.e. lowest energy) structure. The more atoms you add,the more difficult it is to calculate what the result will look like.If the atoms are many the molecule will "fold" into certain structures,like the double helix of the DNA molecule.

So, since proteins are really big (generally thousands of atoms,folding projects range from 165 to 165k atoms) the structure will bevery difficult to predict. This is basically why work units take a longtime to finish.

Anyway, the practical end to this is that folded proteins take certainshapes that can "grab on" to other molecules, and in doing so performcertain tasks. The example with HIV is that HIV attaches to importantproteins and wrecks them. If we can find a protein that HIV would likebetter (i.e. attaches to HIV and stops it from attaching to theimportant proteins), we could find a cure.

All taken from the top of my head. I hope most of it's true. ;)

There we go! The first of two OSNN.net folding team sigs are done. Thisis the bigger, squarish version of the two, the other one will be lowerand wider.

ln_dc_sigs.php

The url to the sig is:
http://dc.liquidninjas.com/dc/ln_dc_sigs.php?xskin=OSNN&xfahteam=35216&xfahuser=YOUR_USER_NAME

Just replace YOUR_USER_NAME with... Why am I doing this, you all know how it works! :D

Comments are welcome of course, both positive and negative!

Zedric -- the OSNN.net sig is great.

Thanks!

Nice. Thanks Zedric.

Very nice! *waits for lower, wider one*

Rep+++

Good job guys!!!! :)
Perhaps you could add some more color, but and this one is very good.I'll keep you up to date for any news developments...... :)

Zedric said:
There we go! The first of two OSNN.net folding teamsigsare done. Thisis the bigger, squarish version of the two, the otheronewill be lowerand wider.

Love it - Can't wait to see the next one.....
You deserve it.

Bad news...
I lost two Pentium 4 PC's today from the fold, two new staff arrivedunannounced so I'm going to have to go back on the scrounge for somereplacements. They were 2.4GHz each too... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Sad and depressed !

sharob said:
Bad news...
I lost two Pentium 4 PC's today from the fold, two new staffarrivedunannounced so I'm going to have to go back on the scrounge forsomereplacements. They were 2.4GHz each too... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Sad and depressed !
Ouch. :( That's quite a few points down the drain there.

Thanks everyone btw, I'll get started on number two.

Zedric said:
OK! Number two is finished.

... and I am using it! Thanks Zedric, not all is Fubar if you come up with neat sig like that ;) Rep++++age>>>! :D

[EDIT] hehehe note that with my username your number two sig gets a little.... err how to say it? Well not FUBAR but maybe FUAR? (usual plus And Recognisable?) :) [/EDIT]

Mainframeguy said:
[EDIT] hehehe note that with my username yournumber two sig gets a little.... err how to say it? Well not FUBAR butmaybe FUAR? (usual plus And Recognisable?) :) [/EDIT]
Oops. Acctually I did think about it since your name is so long, but I forgot to test it. :D *doh!*

I'll fix it. [edit] *fixed*

Zedric said:
OK! Number two is finished.
Sweet! I will have to get back to you on the rep cause I gotta "spread it around" before I can give it to you again. ;)

Thanks again Zedric -- the new sig looks sweet.

BTW, I'm waiting for you to pass me again. You must be working on some large WU's. I've got a 600 pointer ending this evening. After that, no more big WU's for a while.

tom9042 said:
Thanks again Zedric -- the new sig looks sweet.

BTW, I'm waiting for you to pass me again. You must be working on somelarge WU's. I've got a 600 pointer ending this evening. After that, nomore big WU's for a while.
Thank you! Acctually I've turned off one of the folding processes, it'sbroken somehow. It will finish a work unit - in tons more time thanusual, plus it was a 600 pointer - but then hang on exit. Whenrestarted it just gets a new unit and starts cranking again. Nocredits! :( And then I can't remove the core file or the work folder,they're locked even if I turn off the program (and core). I'll look atit when I have to.

well I am sort of folding again - processor count reduced from six to three so will be around half thee folder I was and unlikely to catch Vern again..... for now ;) But the point is I am putting something back in now I have emerged from dial up hell.... infact about to boot this box to Linus fo a stable folding period.... until i have to work again - congrats on all the progress while I've been away - never thought the top 200 would really become a proposition, so now what about getting down to double figures? Maaaan that takes some serious folding!

I just got two of mine that were down, as we are remodeling at work, back up. Christi's computer still hasn't died....... damn.

dunno if he's posted on thread (/me lazy!) but thought I would welcome FalconGuard after seeing him on a stats page (made one unit this week!) - /me goes to give him rep+++age :cool:

does mine work?

yes it does. sweet.

*gives reps to zedric*

Looking at the Top 1000 Teams Totals - Stats Report, I did some math and at the current rate of 31,413 a week (assuming other teams don't change too much) we should be at 300 in 15 days and at 290 by the end of February.

When I worked up the numbers on December 28, we were only earning 16,000 points a week. We've almost doubled because of the folders who've started since then. That's why my December estimate of reaching 300 by the end of March has been crushed. Hurray for us!!!!!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back