NvNews + OSNN + SP Folding Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are really doing well lately. Thanks to all who are contributing! Anyone else interested, you won't even know it is there. A very easy way to help a great cause!

We are getting closer to 300.

C'mon people, for teh win!!!

I will stick it on my dads, until I have my issues sorted!

Steevo said:
We are getting closer to 300...

Frankly we are doing better than I thought we could.... Especially given team size person-wise (hint- we could do with more active members folding!)....

But if you want a daunting target, then that would be to climb to the top 50 (which gives you some degree of kudos as you feature in the online leaderboard then). At that level you have individual folders who are targetting and counting in the millions :eek: - I can only imagine they are building racked farms of opterons running linux and folding......

Mainframeguy said:
At that level you have individual folders who are targetting and counting in the millions :eek: - I can only imagine they are building racked farms of opterons running linux and folding......
University computer rooms are pretty common I'd bet. I know my university runs or has run Seti@Home and some crypto cracking thingy. A computer room with 30-40 computers that run idle half of the time can fold a pretty pile of proteins in notime. ;)

I'll get my new computer around christmas and hopefully I'll be able to keep the old one. So that doubles my capacity. I have a friend's 2.6 P4 in the closet, but I think folding on that would cause a meltdown (or at least a fire), so I'm avoiding it. It's tempting though. ;)

Mebe I could convince teh college here ......

My first time there last night, Gig network and TWO dedicated T1 lines. Dells all oer, bout 120 of them, none less than 2.0

All that power seems to be far away from me. My third machine is a 650 MH Pertium III, which is working on a 264 point GROMACS and is cranking out 12% of the WU a day. It will take 8 days to finish at about 33 points a day. I guess everything is relative. I'm happy to be able to use it to fold.

Hell, that much power gave me a hard on.

tom9042 said:
All that power seems to be far away from me. My third machine is a 650 MH Pertium III, which is working on a 264 point GROMACS and is cranking out 12% of the WU a day. It will take 8 days to finish at about 33 points a day. I guess everything is relative. I'm happy to be able to use it to fold.
My second folder is a PIII 450 MHz. It's slooooww. ;)

Hey! I just got Linux as a dual boot on my second rig and was wanting to fold under Linux - I have downloaded the client OK, but does anyone else here fold with Linux? I am slightly at a loss as to how to execute the .exe - found something like the "Run" but not quite, seems I have to enter a command- no?

Mainframeguy said:
Hey! I just got Linux as a dual boot on my second rig and was wanting to fold under Linux - I have downloaded the client OK, but does anyone else here fold with Linux? I am slightly at a loss as to how to execute the .exe - found something like the "Run" but not quite, seems I have to enter a command- no?
I run Fedora Linux on the 450.

Either you do chmod +x FAH502_Linux.exe to make the file executable and then start with ./FAH502_Linux.exe & .

OR

Start the folder by typing sh FAH502_Linux.exe & .

The & will give you back the prompt and run the program in the background. Add any command line options before the &.

For people who have used the Linux client, do you guys have it run at start-up? I had it start by putting a line in rc.local and when it reaches that line, the system stays there. Units are being processed, but the system is unusable.

On another note ... I think we've hit a wall. :(

vern said:
On another note ... I think we've hit a wall. :(
Two weeks ago we picked 25 places, while last week we only picked up 5. But looking at the Top 1000 team stats, we ran through a lot of teams doing less than 5,000 a week a while ago. Now we're getting into a group that is scoring more then 5,000 a week, and it will take longer to get by them. We could get to 350 in a couple of months.

It looks like a number of guys aren't folding right now. There's only seven of us. We need more folders!

Harrr!!!!

As soon as teh boss gets back I'm supposed to havce a laptop plan ready, I'm thinking the 2.5 Celery D's as I can tell them to keep em plugged in all night and folding away!!! One for me too mebey :sneaky:

The other option is a "M" chip, Panasonic Toughbook. But $2,500 for ONE!!! (from the company) Newegg has the Toshiba's on sale for less than a grand, any ideas?

Zedric said:
I run Fedora Linux on the 450.

Either you do chmod +x FAH502_Linux.exe to make the file executable and then start with ./FAH502_Linux.exe & .

OR

Start the folder by typing sh FAH502_Linux.exe & .

The & will give you back the prompt and run the program in the background. Add any command line options before the &.

Thankyou Zedric, I think I tried both those (and I do realise they are mutually exclusive!) but for the sh I am getting cannot execute binary and for the ./ I am getting Permission Denied.... So back to folding under XP for now....

I'll probably post on this at LinuxQuestions.org too - they seem pretty knowledgeable, so do not sweat it about replying. Oh yeah, and I am running SuSE rather than Fedora, not that this should make any difference for folding I think!

vern said:
For people who have used the Linux client, do you guys have it run at start-up? I had it start by putting a line in rc.local and when it reaches that line, the system stays there. Units are being processed, but the system is unusable.
Sounds to me like you're missing the & sign at the end of the line. Otherwise the program won't be put in the background.

I have a shell script called startfold which is put in the FAH catalog. The file has execution rights. FAH502-Linux.exe also has execution rights.
Directory listing (partial):
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  249236 Aug 20 07:10 FAH502-Linux.exe
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root	  33 Oct 11 10:13 startfold

startfold
Code:
#!/bin/bash
./FAH502-Linux.exe &

The startfold script is run at startup to kickstart the folding.

Mainframeguy said:
Thankyou Zedric, I think I tried both those (and I do realise they are mutually exclusive!) but for the sh I am getting cannot execute binary and for the ./ I am getting Permission Denied.... So back to folding under XP for now....
If you get permission denied it means that the user you are using to start the file with doesn't have rights to use the file. Do ls -l FAH502-Linux.exe to see the rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back