NvNews + OSNN + SP Folding Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am folding on three machines with three different operating systems: at work on Windows NT and Windows 2000 and at home onWindows XP. Since I am an accountant, I get lost in the different systems. Since I run reports on weekends using pcAnywhere, I keep my two work machines folding 24/7. I had to run the console version on the Windows 2000 machine and just noticed that I never have to control/alt/delete to get onto the system anymore. The system is just sitting there open. I want to control/alt/delete after 10 minutes or so of inactivity, just like it was before.

If I logoff, the folding program stops, so I can't do that. I hope I'm making sense. Just need some help getting some security back on my work machine.

Thank!

I experienced the same problem as Tom on XP Professional machines I installed the client on. In the end, I ended up creating a single account since people who logged in didn't really need security. I don't see how this can be fixed. Perhaps a look at the folding forums?

I'm guessing you could have the folding client put in the start-up for All Users. Just make sure one user is logged out before the other goes in. In XP, when I tried using Fast User Switching, it ran two copies of the client under two different users and it crashed the whole system.

Currently we are 498 of 34364. We've been going in and out of the top 500. A few more machines should be able to stamp our mark well within top 500 for good.

Got a new 2.4 Intel folding and should get my machine count up to 13 by the end of the week

Why don't you try to run the DOS console as service.That way it will be part of the system and will run despite the fact who will log-in.Also noone will know that a folding console is running.Of course if this machine is someone elses, you must have his perimission to run the console, either is illegal nad you may have problems. You can check your progress either with the program I mentioned above (Fahlogs) or manually by checking the file FAHlog.txt . :D

Three things:

1- Congratulations Steevo on reaching 50,000 points!
2- Congratulations to all of us for reaching and staying in the top 500!
3- Thanks for your help with my earlier problem - I got it solved. I also think I'm going to change and run FAH as a service on my work machine as Maddoctor has suggested.

If it weren't for my PC's at work.........

Everyone is doing a great job. Every bit helps, so if you have a few CPU cycles you aren't using.....:D Join up and help, it's for a good cause.

yeah Tom - service is definitely the WTG IMHO - much less hassle - so long as you have stable system and temperature monitors etc in place it cannot be a problem and makes the whole process transparent and painless to control.... unless you do weird stuff like me and move your whole windoze envorinment from IDE to SATA HD - I did find at one point that stuffed folding and needed me to run the console again with a -config.... but hey! you could expect that kind of issue in that kind of situation.

Let us not forget to greet our latest folder - FreddyForum! :)

I love watching guys like him and Zedric rise up and overtake EP and... when they get real serious.... the likes of Brad and Vetrius - would be nice to see Vetrius or Brad active again (I have a feeling they may have joined other folding teams :eek:)

Anyway - I have a feeling we are in the top 500 to stay.... the question I would like to put to all OSNN members is - who wants to make the top 100?!!! :cool:

Arrrgghhh my #1 rig is unable to collect a work unit - is the folding server in trouble.... or have I stguffed my rig (been messing around with installing extra TCP/IP services and then uninstalling them - because they were not the answer.... as it happened)....

Anyway, just made last reboot and Folding is not happening as a service or infact as anything - despite a FAH502-console.exe -config etc etc

Of course this does depend on anyone else out there being a folder around this time....

so if you haven't done it yet why not now?

there are rep points going for the begging for those that choose to fold.....

My work machine just finished a big 241 point WU and can't get another WU. I guess the servers are down or busy.

I lost a big WU on my home machine when I was testing a console version as a service. When the new setup didn't work on my old WU (my error I'm sure) I went back to the old GUI version. It had a problem and wrote over my data. You'd think the FAH software would see how far along the WU is, and try to save it. They must be a division of Microsoft, whose software doesn't always communicate with its operating systems.

You guys why you are loosing points!?Don't you know that you should put some extra commands in the command line, in ordewr not to loose anything and work better and faster!?
You should add this commands: -local -advmethods -forceasm -svcstart -verbosity 9
Run regedit and go to the key below.(This is from my pc)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\FAH@D:+Fold+FAH502C.exe]
Find the command line end edit it as shown:
D:\Fold\FAH502C.exe -svcstart -local -forceasm -advmethods -verbosity 9
Close regedit and reboot.Now you loose nothing and the console will send the result when it cans.If there is no server on, downloads a new one, works on it and when it finishes it will upload them both.
For checking whether a server is on look at this link: http://vspx27.stanford.edu/serverstat.html
Also a command-guide can be found here: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/console-userguide.html

I have many things written in my site, but they are in greek :D .If anyones wants any info, please tell me about it or he can just try the links.

The only one that affects the speed is -forceasm, which isn't needed if the client detects things correctly (mine does) and none affects how the client handles downloads as far as I can see.

My expirience says that you should better use these commands in the command line.Now if you don't want to ..... it's your choice and I cannot do anything about it. :D

well - I applied your regedit as suggested (thanks) so some of us will probably use it.... BTW the folder can vary from controlset001, so you may have to look in others.

Anyhow, have some rep.

Also - since you seem to take an interest - do you have any knowledge of a rumour I heard that different folding work units can load the CPU in different ways and give rise to fluctuations in the CPU temp you get when folding heavily. And by fluctuations I mean changes as dramatic as 10oC or so when folding with 90-100% of the CPU.

I'll look into the forums if you do not know.... thanks again.

Mainframeguy said:
Anyhow, have some rep.
Thx for the rep

BTW the folder can vary from controlset001, so you may have to look in others
It will vary if you have more than one consoles running in your system

Also - since you seem to take an interest - do you have any knowledge of a rumour I heard that different folding work units can load the CPU in different ways and give rise to fluctuations in the CPU temp you get when folding heavily. And by fluctuations I mean changes as dramatic as 10oC or so when folding with 90-100% of the CPU.

I'll look into the forums if you do not know.... thanks again.
I'll tell you what I know. It depends from the number of the consoles running at the same time in a machine, what cpu is and I think of the proteins you fold. So in a Pentium with activated the Ht, the cpu load is no more than 60-70%, even if you are running 2 consoles at the same time. I have heard that running more than one console in athlons, uses too much cpu load.This reduces the ability of the user to work and increases even more the temperature in the machine. Last I think, I'm not sure, that tinker are more heavy from the gromacs, but I'll have to get back to you for this. :)

The heat produced depends on how the calculations are done. If the process uses much of the processor at one time (like all ALU:s and so on for those who know what that means, this is pretty low level stuff) the heat will be greater. The CPU can still be at 100% regardless of how much of the CPU is used for a given instruction.

Check the second image on this page. It allows the user to set how the processing is done in Prime95. So the heat development will differ depending on option, but the CPU will still be at 100%.
http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041114/p4_560-04.html

More than one folding process shouldn't affect this (on non-HT anyway) as the processes are just interleaved anyway. Many processes can slow down the computer for the user as the processes still get a little CPU time even if they are at low priority (as the folding process is unless you change it).

The idea that one core is heavier heatwise that another is quite probable. For instance Tinker could use a scheme that uses more of the processor at one time than Gromacs.

Welcome logisticprism to the "fold". You'll be the ninth regular folder, along with some irregular folders.

Also, congratulations to xsivforce for reaching the 40,000 point level and to ribbed.us(vern) for reaching 20,000 points.

The team going to reach a plateau at some point and not get any higher in the standings unless we get more folders.

tom9042 said:
Welcome logisticprism to the "fold". You'll be the ninth regular folder, along with some irregular folders.

Also, congratulations to xsivforce for reaching the 40,000 point level and to ribbed.us(vern) for reaching 20,000 points.

The team going to reach a plateau at some point and not get any higher in the standings unless we get more folders.

I'm still waiting on two more 2Ghz + machines to report in. And hopfully I will be building another soon.

Congratulations Mainframeguy for reaching 30,000 points.

At my 4,000 points per month rate, it will take me six more months to get there. I guess I need to get some cooling for my wife's machine, so I can add her to the "fold". My old AMD 1.4gig always ran really hot--so I got a new CPU and motherboard and gave her the hot CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back