Originally posted by Micah Burke
Ok, once more, I've replaced my uxthemes.dll and I can access my themes (but not vis styles) but I am not seeing them properly and if i load them it screws up my desktop so that I cannot read anything. I hate to be a whiner like this, but I am not sure what I am doing wrong.
It seems like this enabled the ability to change themes but doesn't appropriately activiate them and their styles.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!
Originally posted by andyp
Just choose the themes as you normally would with StyleXP!
how do you access your themes
Did just that and still not working.Originally posted by SnOoPy
What I did was:
install stylexp 3 after uninstalling any newer versions (style xp 3 and earlier just overwrote the UxTheme.dll...whereas stylexp 4 and above patch the UxTheme.dll)
then copy this file (C:\windows\system32\UxTheme.dll) to another partition, folder, floppy, CD-RW, etc.
uninstall stylexp 3.
Uncheck system file protection.
boot with a windows 98 bootdisk.
overwrite the file (C:\windows\system32\UxTheme.dll) with the one you previously created.
Originally posted by andyp
Here's a complete guide on how to hack your uxtheme.dll file. NOTE1: You don't have to do this if you have already installed an older version than the 4.0
NOTE2: If you still want to use StyleXP Email TGT, tell them you were using their beta software, and that it expired. They've always maintained that all betas will be free, so they should give you a registration key to fix the problem. Either that or just download the newest beta. They've also promised to always release a new beta before the old one expires. Either way - you should not have to pay a cent and hopefully you can get it fixed quickly.
1) Backup UxTheme.dll to UxTheme.000
2) Don't blame me if you screw this up, these directions are as is in their somewhat correctness and I am not responsible for the government raid that will happen if you conduct this change. I have tested this and it works for me and the 500 other folks who have used this method. Do not put tinfoil in the microwave.
This is very simple to do and amuonts to changes to 17 values and takes less than five minutes to do. This also assumes you don't have StylesXP installed on your system and that you are working with the original UxTheme.dll
3) Open UxTheme.000 in a hex editor, not resource hacker.
4) Replace the following 4 sections in the hex code with the values I provide. You will need to use the
search function in the editor to find the exact address within the file to perform each edit
New Value: 00
Address: 0x0000B624 --> 0x0000B629
Original: 0F 8C 80 00 00 00
New Value: 90 90 90 90 90 90
Adress: 0x0000B6BB --> 0x0000B6C2
Original: 81 EC 80 00 00 00 56 57
New Value: 33 F6 8B C6 C9 C2 08 00
Address: 0x0000B71E --> 0x0000B71F
Original: 7C 38
New Value: 90 90
5) Check your changes, make sure you did not use the letter O in place of zero. SAVE
6) Reboot to safe mode, rename UxTheme.dll to UxTheme.bak ... and rename UxTheme.000 to UxTheme.dll
Download hex-edit program here: http://www.tweakersguide.net/files/hexedit.zip