How to hack the uxtheme.dll???

:( Ok, once more, I've replaced my uxthemes.dll and I can access my themes (but not vis styles) but I am not seeing them properly and if i load them it screws up my desktop so that I cannot read anything. I hate to be a whiner like this, but I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

It seems like this enabled the ability to change themes but doesn't appropriately activiate them and their styles.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!

Micah :confused:

Originally posted by Micah Burke
:( Ok, once more, I've replaced my uxthemes.dll and I can access my themes (but not vis styles) but I am not seeing them properly and if i load them it screws up my desktop so that I cannot read anything. I hate to be a whiner like this, but I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

It seems like this enabled the ability to change themes but doesn't appropriately activiate them and their styles.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!

Micah :confused:

Hmmm...my themes all work properly...did you replace uxtheme.dll in safe mode?

Originally posted by andyp

Just choose the themes as you normally would with StyleXP!

You say choose as you would in StyleXP? But you uninstall StyleXP and replace the .dll you no longer have the StyleXP Chooser.

Questions....

I have StyleXP installed... I want to use the .dll So what are the steps to do this?

Uninstall StyleXP
Go into safemode install .dll

Now if I want a Theme and download it now what do I do with it?
How do I choose the theme?
How do I save the themes I have now that are installed by Styles?

how do you access your themes

What do you mean? If you're running ver 5.0 of StyleXP, they got a new theme-chooser build in. Any eralier versions, just right-click desktop, properties, themes, and choose your theme from the drop-down list:)

I dont have style xp I just to create new themes and install them without the use of style xp how do I do this do I need to hack the resource Im not really sure what to do next when I replace the uxtheme.dll

You should be able to choose the themes as I said " right-click desktop, properties, themes, and choose your theme from the drop-down list". If you can't, you've done something wrong:)

What I did was:

install stylexp 3 after uninstalling any newer versions (style xp 3 and earlier just overwrote the UxTheme.dll...whereas stylexp 4 and above patch the UxTheme.dll)

then copy this file (C:\windows\system32\UxTheme.dll) to another partition, folder, floppy, CD-RW, etc.

uninstall stylexp 3.

Uncheck system file protection.

boot with a windows 98 bootdisk.

overwrite the file (C:\windows\system32\UxTheme.dll) with the one you previously created.

Reboot.

Originally posted by SnOoPy
What I did was:

install stylexp 3 after uninstalling any newer versions (style xp 3 and earlier just overwrote the UxTheme.dll...whereas stylexp 4 and above patch the UxTheme.dll)

then copy this file (C:\windows\system32\UxTheme.dll) to another partition, folder, floppy, CD-RW, etc.

uninstall stylexp 3.

Uncheck system file protection.

boot with a windows 98 bootdisk.

overwrite the file (C:\windows\system32\UxTheme.dll) with the one you previously created.

Reboot.
Did just that and still not working.

Safe Mode

:D Ok well ive downloaded the dll of this thread, but can someone give me in detail what to do with it, such as, how to get into safe mode ?? and what to do while im in Safe Mode???

;) thankz

To get into safe-mode: After the BIOS-test, before the XP-Bootupscreen makes it apperance, press F8, and choose to go into safemode there. When you're machine has entered safemode, just replace your original uxtheme.dll file, with the one found here. Restart and enjoy :)

Dear friends,
I download StyleXP BetaVersion 0.600000 andI replace 4 sections in the hex code in uxtheme.dll. But nothing happen.
The software expiration in 29 days yesterday and today in 28 days. Please, help me
Regards,
Sebastian

Heh, you are not supposed to use both StyleXP and modify your uxtheme.dll.
Uninstall StyleXP and modify your uxtheme.dll file if you dont want StyleXP...you don't need it!

Re: HOWTO

Originally posted by andyp
Here's a complete guide on how to hack your uxtheme.dll file. NOTE1: You don't have to do this if you have already installed an older version than the 4.0
NOTE2: If you still want to use StyleXP Email TGT, tell them you were using their beta software, and that it expired. They've always maintained that all betas will be free, so they should give you a registration key to fix the problem. Either that or just download the newest beta. They've also promised to always release a new beta before the old one expires. Either way - you should not have to pay a cent and hopefully you can get it fixed quickly.

Source NeoWin
1) Backup UxTheme.dll to UxTheme.000

2) Don't blame me if you screw this up, these directions are as is in their somewhat correctness and I am not responsible for the government raid that will happen if you conduct this change. I have tested this and it works for me and the 500 other folks who have used this method. Do not put tinfoil in the microwave.

This is very simple to do and amuonts to changes to 17 values and takes less than five minutes to do. This also assumes you don't have StylesXP installed on your system and that you are working with the original UxTheme.dll

3) Open UxTheme.000 in a hex editor, not resource hacker.

4) Replace the following 4 sections in the hex code with the values I provide. You will need to use the

search function in the editor to find the exact address within the file to perform each edit

Adress: 0x00009C27
Original: 02
New Value: 00

Address: 0x0000B624 --> 0x0000B629
Original: 0F 8C 80 00 00 00
New Value: 90 90 90 90 90 90

Adress: 0x0000B6BB --> 0x0000B6C2
Original: 81 EC 80 00 00 00 56 57
New Value: 33 F6 8B C6 C9 C2 08 00

Address: 0x0000B71E --> 0x0000B71F
Original: 7C 38
New Value: 90 90

5) Check your changes, make sure you did not use the letter O in place of zero. SAVE

6) Reboot to safe mode, rename UxTheme.dll to UxTheme.bak ... and rename UxTheme.000 to UxTheme.dll
"
Download hex-edit program here: http://www.tweakersguide.net/files/hexedit.zip

This was my first time trying this out and I'm pleased with the results. I don't see how people could come across so many problems if they follow the instructions. Thanks andyp and the rest who provided this information.

You know o_O if there were only more people out there like yourself it would be a better world...

Saying thanks is great ..... it makes people like these guys want to help ...

I dont know how many people i have helped and once their problem is fixed dont even post a small --- thanks

;)

Saying thanks shows the people that you appreciate their work and they are more likely to help you again next time. ^_^

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back