How much should one charge?

WolfShade

Ex-Xperiance Member
Just for curiosity sake im wondering your thoughts on what I should have charged to format and reinstall everything on my friends computer. Not to mention it is a compaq, I added a few extra programs she needed and did a few other things it took me 5 1/2 hrs. I seem to come across this a lot, people have come to think of me as this computer tech guy, although I have no formal training I do know a lot now and can do almost anything any thoughts?

tru, it is for a friend but now im geting people who arnt friends wanting me to do the same thats why i ask

I charge $80 to remove spyware and/or to update and clean a system, and $120 for a full format reinstall as well as updating. Family is done for free.

SPeedY_B said:
$80? Do you sleep well at nights? :p

I do laugh my way to the bank :D

Seriously though, it usually takes around 6 hours, thats less per hour than I make at my real job.

i generally charge nothing for friends and family, 50 bucks for crapware cleanouts, and general troubleshooting and full formats and reinstalls is $50/hr. I have image files that makes most things go really fast.

*edit- and for systems i have built people, i include 3 months full support. generally on those it is usually a crapware cleanout every few months.

j79zlr said:
I charge $80 to remove spyware and/or to update and clean a system, and $120 for a full format reinstall as well as updating. Family is done for free.
Wow, send some of your friends over to me. I'd be glad to do it for the same price.
ohmy.gif

:-| incredible.

i usually just tell them "whatever it's worth to you" if they want to pay me. i've never run into any problems doing that :) especially since i know most of the people i do work for, and would do it for free.

I've never had a single complaint.

My rate varies with how many serial numbers and credit card numbers I can lift off the system. I of course tell people this ahead of time. For some reason nobody asks me to work on their systems anymore....

Wow love the responses, keepem coming im finding this valueable information :)

i work at a computer repair shop - reloading windows xp does cost $69 without data backup- more if there is---

people pay it ALL THE TIME

well...for that compaq i fixed a few weeks ago i got payed 20 dvds...

Tell me does ones enemies come to you for your services? food for thought an old business man asked me that one time and it stuck in my frogg noodles.
frogg_mann

wolfshade,
Establish your prices by the local competions prices and adjust it by your overhead and what profit you think won't push your prices to high. Keep your costs and overhead as low as the market allows you. And then buy new toys. Granted, there are a few more things but I hardly now you. te he he It has worked for me for 25 years. 8) frogg_mann

look at these prices:

Best Buy – $60/hr

CompUSA – $99.97 (reformat reinstall) their solution for most problems

Geeks on Call - $99 to show up and if it can be fixed in 15 minutes or less, if it takes longer than 15 minutes it will range from $145-275 ($275 if they take your pc to their office and reformat and reinstall Windows).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back