How much should one charge?

i would charge like 30-50 bucks cause of course best buy is a store soo that is gonna kinda be high

Personally, I charge $22-27/hr. Depends on the mood i'm in. I know I should charge more, but the market I'm in is kinda inudated with small shops. And I end up doing way too much for free.

Haven't checked up on this too much. But in my current area of Albuquerque, NM, I was told by some friends I knew who ran a computer business that standard out here is about $65/hour if one comes to the shop, or $110/hour for a house call (plus the timer on house calls starts when leaving their driveway, not when they arrive).

The peeps in question were computer engineers (one got ahold of a business, and the other left Silicon Valley to come out and help a life long friend with her business) and they also did a lot of work as network consultants. Some of their clients were like a bank, UNMH (University of New Mexico Hospital), and when I was in there, there was a network admin working out a contract for several systems in his dept at Sandia National Labs, though...

If you don't have certain training/education, it would perhaps be prudent to charge a bit less then the average, for your area...at least until you establish a good, solid reputation in the community... A lot of it comes down to what people are willing to pay/aka supply and demand.

But, a friend, eh, just help him out I'd say... It might also help (if he's willing to learn) to teach him how to do it, for the next time around as well :)

Son Goku said:
But, a friend, eh, just help him out I'd say... It might also help (if he's willing to learn) to teach him how to do it, for the next time around as well :)

For friends I like to teach them things but most of the people I know shouldnt own a computer :p, you know the ones; you teach them the simplest of things and they have to phone you 5 times before they know it. I dont know how many times I have used XP's remote assistance to help someone. And as for a solid reputation well my name must be a good one at this point because I get phoned at work "non tech" for work or about work

Tell me about it. After I moved out to New Mexico, my father called me quite frequently (sometimes several times a week) for what would seem like the simplest things... He hasn't needed to call me so much for support as he used to though...

j79zlr said:
look at these prices:

Best Buy – $60/hr

CompUSA – $99.97 (reformat reinstall) their solution for most problems

Geeks on Call - $99 to show up and if it can be fixed in 15 minutes or less, if it takes longer than 15 minutes it will range from $145-275 ($275 if they take your pc to their office and reformat and reinstall Windows).

:eek:
Im not charging enough!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back