HD Drive

Found someone who had both on errr another forum apparently they work fine :)

Good to hear because I didn't know how in heck I was going to figure out from looking if it would work or not. I probably would have played stupid and called Zalman and asked them if they knew. :p

Or I should not of been lazy and taken my case apart to check :D

Thanks for all the info :)

So I just picked up 2 new blu-ray movies to watch.

I put them in the drive, open up PowerDVD 8, and click on the drive, it loads like it normally does (making vista go weird, no theme) and then the whole program becomes a black square and its Not Responding.

Nothing has changed since the last blu-ray disc I have had. Whats the issue?

*Got WinDVD 9 just to see, and at first it was the same, but got it working with WinDVD. Does that mean something in PowerDVD got corrupted?

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you are using the latest version of AnyDVD HD. Make sure you are using the latest version of PowerDVD8 Ultra. Make sure you are using the latest firmware for your drive which you already are. Make sure you have the latest graphics drivers installed for your video card.

If it still happens after that but works just fine with WinDVD then it very well might be a glitch in PowerDVD.

Latest Fireware, Latest PowerDVD 8, Latest graphic drivers, latest AnyDVD, same issue, works with WinDVD.

How can something go wrong within a week, with no changes made to the system?

Latest Fireware, Latest PowerDVD 8, Latest graphic drivers, latest AnyDVD, same issue, works with WinDVD.

How can something go wrong within a week, with no changes made to the system?

Because something may not have 'gone wrong'. There are some discs that get released that are problematic.

Prison Break (US), Street Kings (US), and Jumper (Japan) are three FOX titles that currently are problematic.

The Hunt for Red October is a problematic release and it's an older movie. According to the Arcsoft TMT forums they will be releasing an update to handle the issue. PowerDVD 7.3 also has issues with the disc.

Sometimes the problem is the way the disc is handled by the software player. Other times a disc may be simply created badly.

In short, unless a disc you had previously played without problems suddenly won't play then it isn't about what changed on your system. It's about what makes that specific title not play correctly.

Good to hear, sorta. Now I have both PowerDVD & WinDVD, I like both, not sure which one to keep. I like the idea of WinDVD upscaling normal DVD's.

I have licenses for PowerDVD 8 and WinDVD 9. WinDVD won't go into multi-channel mode for me any more though and I can't work out why. I'd prefer to use WinDVD since it'll play my HD-DVD stuff too.

May have to buy Arcsoft TMT too.

What do you mean you'd prefer WinDVD since it'll play your HD-DVD stuff too, the PowerDVD 8 that I have plays my HD-DVD stuff.

What do you mean you'd prefer WinDVD since it'll play your HD-DVD stuff too, the PowerDVD 8 that I have plays my HD-DVD stuff.

PowerDVD8 Ultra won't play HD-DVDs unless you apply the "fix" that allows it. There is no official support for HD-DVD in v8. BluRay, yes. HD-DVD, no. Official HD-DVD support died with PowerDVD7 Ultra.

I have applied the "fix" so that I watch all my SD DVDs, HD-DVDs, and BluRay movies via PowerDVD8 Ultra.

Is there another FREE program like AnyDVD HD? It's a bit expensive for me, and I can't seem to find the "free" version that works.

Is there another FREE program like AnyDVD HD? It's a bit expensive for me, and I can't seem to find the "free" version that works.

No, there is no free program that can fully handle all versions of AACS and BD+ on all current BluRay discs. There is no other shareware product that can handle all these discs, either.

It's not the cheapest program in the world but it has been more than worth my purchasing it way back when.

Last edited:
Look at it this way. US$118 will save you several thousand in HDCP compliant hardware :)

Look at it this way. US$118 will save you several thousand in HDCP compliant hardware :)

So true. :)

It's a solid investment, IMO. When you combine all the benefits of AnyDVD HD it is simply unparalleled.

It should also be noted that when not using AnyDVD HD the movie Jumper (Region A) played horribly using PowerDVD and it was due to the BD+ protection. Using AnyDVD HD removed the problems created by the BD+ protection. I'm unsure if other software players suffered the same problem but it goes to show you that once again protections are put ahead of the consumer in terms of a quality video release.

If I buy AnyDVD HD now, I know I will get updates, but say next version comes out, will I get that or have to buy it again?

If I buy AnyDVD HD now, I know I will get updates, but say next version comes out, will I get that or have to buy it again?

No. Once you purchase AnyDVD HD you will receive all future updates at no extra cost.

Quick question, what is the latest version you have for AnyDVD HD?

I thought that I should update this thread...

From ongoing discussions that I've had privately and from seeing discussions by other people I have come to find out that not everyone has found that their LG GGC-H20L appears to be limited when it comes to reading/ripping BluRay discs.

I patched my LG GGC-H20L firmware and noticed an immediate and dramatic speed boost in reading. Thankfully, I am not the only person to notice this change. According to the author of MediaCodeSpeedEdit there should be absolutely no change in the BluRay read speed since the patch for increasing read speed should only have removed the riplock for SD DVDs.

The question now is why are some people noticing this enormous speed boost and not others? Once I flashed my drive with the patched firmware the speed of the drive became exactly what the original drive specifications should be but hadn't. I could then flash the drive with any of the official unpatched firmwares and had no issues with read speed. What made the difference?

So, patching the firmware may increase the read speed for some people and may do nothing for others. It's a very odd situation with no known cause. Also, since the speed boost doesn't surpass the original specifications for the drive it shouldn't reduce the left expectancy of the drive.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back