• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Free Download Manager 2.5 - Great (Free) Download manager!!!

SkyFuser

Techtard in Training
Political User
DAP= Download Accelerator Plus. Free version is adware, has dubious and almost nonexistent privacy policy and EULA until people complained. Don't like it.
FDM= Free Download Manager. Don't like it. It doesn't handle multiple connections and resume support where it's allowed.
Personally I found Internet Download Manager the best. Trial was pretty good.

SkyFuser

Techtard in Training
Political User
I don't really believe in using accelerators though. And FlashGet reminds me of FlashGot which I'm certain was infected wth Cydoor...
Unless the server is slow and you don't have dial-up they don't do much.

Perris Calderon

Staff member
Political User
I don't really believe in using accelerators though. And FlashGet reminds me of FlashGot which I'm certain was infected wth Cydoor...
I happen to agree however the cue feature of some programs is priceless

I can set up hundreds of downloads and set the downloader to download one at a time

with this method you don't have to wait for anything to finnish before you click the next download, for me this is invaluable

SkyFuser

Techtard in Training
Political User
I happen to agree however the cue feature of some programs is priceless

I can set up hundreds of downloads and set the downloader to download one at a time

with this method you don't have to wait for anything to finnish before you click the next download, for me this is invaluable
That is indeed invaluable. However, it's not useful if the url changes like for filehosting.

Oh, you mean queue!? I was thinking, now why would you handle an .ISO/.CUE file set with a download manager? :laugh:

I still stick with GetRight, although I don't use it's built-in torrent handling. uTorrent is what I prefer for that.

Perris Calderon

Staff member
Political User
That is indeed invaluable. However, it's not useful if the url changes like for filehosting.
the program tells me which downloads fail, there is a time out and a number of tries which can be raised or lowered according to your needs

I allow three tries and only 5 seconds between tries, if a download fails I'll get it manually

SkyFuser

Techtard in Training
Political User
the program tells me which downloads fail, there is a time out and a number of tries which can be raised or lowered according to your needs

I allow three tries and only 5 seconds between tries, if a download fails I'll get it manually
I agree that the retry thing is indeed useful.
But that kinda makes you lose more time if you fail and then decide to get it manually ;D

American Zombie

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
I still stick with GetRight, although I don't use it's built-in torrent handling. uTorrent is what I prefer for that.
I have licenses for Getright and Reget. In my opinion, Reget beats Getright hands down. One thing I like about Reget over Getright is the exe does not have to be running in the systray to snag downloads like Getright does. Getright has these options but they have never worked correctly (at least for me). I have complained to the author of Getright many times about this but it never gets fixed.

BUT - This thread was about freeware so I will now go.

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political User
Flashget is the best. Flashgot is the plugin for Firefox to use Flashget. You will find that a lot of download managers are using the same gui as flashget, as it around the longest .. I like using it with my connection, I ave broadband. The resume feature and sorting of downloads is the best things. You don't have to guid to a folder every time you want to download something ...

Dap is free with adware, when you purchase it you have to buy a monthly subscription to use the resume feature.

Personally, I can't wait for Flashget 2.0 to come out in english, it looks like it is going to be a good one ..

SkyFuser

Techtard in Training
Political User
A lot has happened, strange that I'm using FlashGet now too XD
I actually got the original Chinese version. Then I realized the computer won't show the characters correctly so I downloaded the English version.
I agree that it's better than FDM... FDM has a lot of flaws that I didn't see up until a while ago. Lots of sites don't get multiple connections or resume support that FlashGet supports. Hmph...
I'd wonder if they allow user translations, I'd be happy to translate the Chinese 2.0 into English :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies