Firebird Discussion

Nice pic.

Muzikool, unless you want to change daily, or everytime you have a bad build, i dont suggest you change. Stick to whatever works for you, people like SPeedY_B however, are special and like to download the latest builds.

Originally posted by X-Istence
people like SPeedY_B however, are special and like to download the latest builds.

...and me. I download a new build almost every night. ;)
I actually have a batch script that does it automatically for me. I remember posting it in a thread here once.

SPeedY_B is special? Oh yeah, I forgot. :eek:

I understand the reason for the nightlies, but I also understand that some are less stable than others, while some are even less stable than the latest public release. I would like to see what improvements have been made on the way to 0.7, but if there is nothing too significant, then I will just stick with what I've got. Basically, it would be cool to use a newer build if it's as stable as the public release... I just want to make sure and get the right build.

Originally posted by muzikool
I understand the reason for the nightlies, but I also understand that some are less stable than others, while some are even less stable than the latest public release. I would like to see what improvements have been made on the way to 0.7, but if there is nothing too significant, then I will just stick with what I've got. Basically, it would be cool to use a newer build if it's as stable as the public release... I just want to make sure and get the right build.

Well, technically, it is true that nightlies contain more bugs as compared to the latest milestone builds. However, the more important thing to check is whether these bugs are major ones or minor ones that you don't usually notice.

For example, as I mentioned earlier, I've been downloading a new build every night for quite a while now, and rarely have I ended up with an unusable build.
Most of the times, the bugs are so minor, that they're not even noticeable during normal day-to-day browsing, and are spotted by people while running specific tests, or visiting specific sites.
On other occasions, you might see a significant bug or two that still allow you to use the browser, but are quite inconvenient. Those are the builds that I avoid, and revert back to the last relatively-stable nightly that I was using.
And then there are those rare occassions when the build is completely in crumbles, causing more problems than you can handle. Some builds end up on the FTP server although they can't even be unzipped. But again, these builds don't come by too often.

So what am I using currently?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6a) Gecko/20030929 Firebird/0.7+
It seems to be working fine for me, although I do know that it causes problems rendering pages with ads if you use the HOSTS file method to block them. Another relatively major bug in this build is that it crashes Java on Linux, but that doesn't affect Windows builds. All-in-all, a very usable build, in my opinion.
If you like, you can download this official nightly here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firebird/nightly/2003-09-29-08-trunk/MozillaFirebird-win32.zip

Hope that looooong post was of some use ;)

yay, I'm special :p
Nightlies can be unstable yes, but the last un-stable build I had was a nighlty from between 0.6 --> 0.6.1 which just crashed every 5 minutes (seriously, it was awfull).
You can always install the nightlies to a seperate folder and revert to a stable release if your nightly goes all wierd on you, I have the whole Mozilla suite installed in case that ever happens. to be honest, if you're content with the stable build (0.6.1 at the moment) then stick with it, you get to enjoy new features when new builds are released, you get a proper change log, and all that.. the nightly builds where only ever intended for testing and finding bugs before a final/stable release is put out there.

Thanks NetRyder and Speedy. I will probably end up running that nightly, cause I like change. :)

And Speedy, concerning your title... "slightly?" ;)

Yeah, thats what they all say when they are in the mental institute.

i got this weird problem with firebird, can anyone knows how to fix this?? it happens with ntfs and some sites, the borad works fine but the homepage not, look at the att.

Firebird

FireBird problem, nothing to see here, move along :p

There's more info on it earlier on in this thread :)

can't get Java plug in to work with Firebird. I installed it (trough Firbird) but when i go to the plug in control panel and select the browser to use with it, it says browser not installed

not sure if I attached it to this thread, so here it is again.
Change .txt to .reg, double click and you're set

[edit] Argh! forgot the attachment completely fecks it up.
put this in a reg file and run it.

Code:
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mozilla\Mozilla Firebird]
"GeckoVer"="1.0.1"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mozilla\Mozilla Firebird\bin]
"PathToExe"="C:\\program files\\MozillaFirebird\\MozillaFirebird.exe"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mozilla\Mozilla Firebird\Extensions]
"Plugins"="C:\\Program Files\\MozillaFirebird\\Plugins"
"Components"="C:\\Program Files\\MozillaFirebird\\Components"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\mozilla.org\Mozilla]
"CurrentVersion"="1.0"

Excellent! (had to change CurrentVersion to 1.1 though)

now all it needs is a spell checker and offline browseing!

In IE you can browse sites you've visted (cached sites) offline. Its very useful if on dial up

aah, that feature is in the main mozilla suite (just click the little connected icon in the bottom right to set it to disconnected) not sure if it's available in FireBird though.

sorry but cant find how to fix the problem of firebird displaying ntfs homepage......can someone point me?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back