• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Cricket World Cup 2003

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political User
#1
It's been four years, but its finally here. I will probably have to order satellite or pay extra to my cable company to watch..:( But the real problem is going to be the time difference...South Africa is about 9 hours ahead...:eek:

Anyways, what team would you like to see winning the cup? Being originally from Pakistan, I would have to pick them...=oP

I also see Australia having a good chance at retaining it, and South Africa has a great chance too...
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#2
Originally posted by o_87
It's been four years, but its finally here. I will probably have to order satellite or pay extra to my cable company to watch..:( But the real problem is going to be the time difference...South Africa is about 9 hours ahead...:eek:

Anyways, what team would you like to see winning the cup? Being originally from Pakistan, I would have to pick them...=oP

I also see Australia retaining it, and South Africa has a great chang too...
I am going to go with india and australia... pakistan has a great chance too.. they have one of the most talented squads in the world..

I like india coz of tendulkar and the fact that they are built for odi's... the way they play...

with a little more practice under their belt they should be fine

and australia is australia :)
 
R

rick_422

Guest
#4
good points from sazar about india
but...
they are only really good at home, on the low and slow wickets of the sub continent, and the wickets in SA are a bit different to them
cant believe you guys didnt mention New Zealand, they have good a good bowling attack, and some v good batsmen in the side, and arguably the best captain in the world (not my words, read it in the paper) there team is also not a team of one or two superstars, rather than good even spread of talent so to speak

South Africa SHOULD have a lot of home support and play well, and they generally have a strong showing

Being an aussie, id love it for our guys to get up
it depends a lot on injuries, shane warne is having an awesome recovery after dislocating his shoulder, back after 3 weeks, and it looks like he will play there, and for mine, will be the player of the tournament... a few other injury problems during the current tri-nation one day series here, mcgrath has a slight niggle, but is playing, gillespie is been rested and thats about it

should be a good tournament
my pick, aussies
dark horse, new zealand
player of the tournament SK Warne (bowler) RT Ponting (batsman)
there maybe some bias there, but who cares!
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#5
Originally posted by rick_422
good points from sazar about india
but...
they are only really good at home, on the low and slow wickets of the sub continent, and the wickets in SA are a bit different to them
cant believe you guys didnt mention New Zealand, they have good a good bowling attack, and some v good batsmen in the side, and arguably the best captain in the world (not my words, read it in the paper) there team is also not a team of one or two superstars, rather than good even spread of talent so to speak

South Africa SHOULD have a lot of home support and play well, and they generally have a strong showing

Being an aussie, id love it for our guys to get up
it depends a lot on injuries, shane warne is having an awesome recovery after dislocating his shoulder, back after 3 weeks, and it looks like he will play there, and for mine, will be the player of the tournament... a few other injury problems during the current tri-nation one day series here, mcgrath has a slight niggle, but is playing, gillespie is been rested and thats about it

should be a good tournament
my pick, aussies
dark horse, new zealand
player of the tournament SK Warne (bowler) RT Ponting (batsman)
there maybe some bias there, but who cares!
well heres teh thing...

the BEST batting lineups belong to 3 countries...

australia (good depth) ... pakistan (oustanding though routinely underperforming talent) and india (good depth, excellent individual)...

the indian teams batting is tailored for odi's... on any surface... their bowling may suffer on faster/harder tracks... their consistency may be in question but I think the fact that on recent tours they have blooded many young talents a la australia will play into their hands...

sri lanka/south africa and new zealand are all dark horses for me.. they are probably along with australia and india among the favs to win...

west indies/england ? I dunno... they have the talent... but the experience is lacking.. as is the depth...

imo... autralia could well walk away with it... but the whole affair with mark waugh has soured aussie cricket for me :(

I still mourn his retirement...
 

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political User
#6
Well living in the fantasy world that I do I'd quite like to see England winning the world cup!!!

You never know hey??


Mubbers
 
C

Code_Cutter

Guest
#7
Enough with all the lame predictions and statistics, here is some real insite on the far superior team and world cup champions.

Aussie, Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi, Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
Aussie, oi Aussie, Oi
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi Oi Oi.



Thank You....................:p :p
 
R

rick_422

Guest
#9
that chant has lost meaning now
it used to be good, when at the MCG, in the southern stand when people would shout it at the cricket!
but after the olympics and that, its just cruddy now....:confused:
 

djwhite

OSNN Senior Addict
#11
Well we can't all go and learn a new chant, that would be hard work. We like to stick to what we know. And that is:
Aussie, Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi, Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
Aussie, oi Aussie, Oi
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi Oi Oi.
 
R

rick_422

Guest
#14
if someone cant figure out how to get adam gilchrist and matt hayden out
look out
those blokes will make some very big scores this world cup
cant wait till the aussies play a side that isnt that crash hot, and they make 400 odd!:p :D
 
R

rick_422

Guest
#16
yah
what mubbers said
it would be interesting if they did play there, and the players decided not to shake mugabe's hand....
i wonder what would happen
*mugabe puts hand out to shake*
*players stand there, staring straight ahead, hands behind their back*

i wonder what would happen....

(but i heard he wouldnt be attending anyways)
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#17
Originally posted by rick_422
if someone cant figure out how to get adam gilchrist and matt hayden out
look out
those blokes will make some very big scores this world cup
cant wait till the aussies play a side that isnt that crash hot, and they make 400 odd!:p :D
they haven't been that hot recently and hayden has looked more human in odi's recently :)

however they do have a nice 1-2 punch with hayden and gilchrist...

but I would have to give the best batting lineup to India over the other teams... they can put some runs out there in a hurry... IF they stay in :)
 

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political User
#18
Originally posted by rick_422
yah
what mubbers said
it would be interesting if they did play there, and the players decided not to shake mugabe's hand....
i wonder what would happen
*mugabe puts hand out to shake*
*players stand there, staring straight ahead, hands behind their back*

i wonder what would happen....

(but i heard he wouldnt be attending anyways)
That would be a memorable moment indeed and it would send a powerful message to regime that is no better than South Africa was during the worst days of appartheid.

However that scenario looks unlikely now as England and Australia are working together to put pressure on world cricket to cancel the Zim' matches. Good.

Mubbers
 

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
#19
Originally posted by Mubbers
That would be a memorable moment indeed and it would send a powerful message to regime that is no better than South Africa was during the worst days of appartheid.

However that scenario looks unlikely now as England and Australia are working together to put pressure on world cricket to cancel the Zim' matches. Good.

Mubbers
I think that is highly hypocritical...

mugabe is doing basically what was done by both england AND australia so where is the logic in asking and pushing for a boycoot?

it is HIS country in effect... he IS in power... so why the problems? the ICC also agreed to hold the matches in the venues of THEIR choice... the point should have been raised and pursued more diligently before.. now is not the time for it...

hopefully sports will cause discussions through the proper channels and make the international community more privy to detrimental decisions such as what mugabe has undertaken
 

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political User
#20
Originally posted by Sazar
I think that is highly hypocritical...

mugabe is doing basically what was done by both england AND australia so where is the logic in asking and pushing for a boycoot?


What are you talking about? What exactly did we do that is compares to the political situation in Zimbabwe today? We (Britain) have done lots of bad stuff but at the time we were doing the kind of stuff that is even remotely comparable to what Mugabe is doing now Australia had not even been discovered by Europeans and neither had your country!

If by bringing the Australians into this you are referring to the 'Aboriginal' situation I cannot comment directly. I have my own views having visited the Australia and I can assure that it in no way compares to the evil being done by Mugabe to HIS OWN PEOPLE as well as those of other races.

And so what? Bad things happen and the world has learned by the mistakes of many nations. Surely the we should stand up against any dictatorial regime that bases its power on racism and the brutal repression of its people. [Iraq anyone?]

it is HIS country in effect... he IS in power... so why the problems? the ICC also agreed to hold the matches in the venues of THEIR choice... the point should have been raised and pursued more diligently before.. now is not the time for it...
Well it's not HIS country - the last elections were so blatantly rigged as to be a joke. He only maintains power by the brutal repression of political opposition and by dint of the fact that all the 'citizens' of that country are now so poor and hungry that they are too weak to resist.

We are right to boycott the matches. If the ICC had any guts whatsoever they would have banned Zimbabwe from international cricket years ago. Their country is no different and should be treated no differently from Apartheid South Africa. To say otherwise is to be utterly hypocritical. In many respect the Mugabe regime is worse as it has taken a prosperous country that provided food for the entire region and ruined it. He has brought famine upon his people and those of surrounding countries. Something incidently that never happend in South Africa.

hopefully sports will cause discussions through the proper channels and make the international community more privy to detrimental decisions such as what mugabe has undertaken
Well the aren't are they? So that is why we're here today.

Mubbers
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,961
Messages
673,239
Members
89,014
Latest member
sanoravies