Building a new system!

Yeah, people don't seem to realise that a good power supply is very important.

I did state it's my personal experience with the boards of late.
Not a statement of fact.
Glad you've had better luck with ASUS than I had :)

You did say that it was your impression, I was just pointing out that they have a great track record as is posted on-line... all manufacturers have some bad components come off assembly lines, its simple math easier to replace then repair... :)

Yeah, people don't seem to realise that a good power supply is very important.

A LOONG LOONG time ago, I was one of those "people" NEVER again...

:laugh:

I was lucky, I only lost a mobo, and it was brand new, so I just took it back to the comp show and told them it was bad...

:speechless:

Mike A!

You did say that it was your impression, I was just pointing out that they have a great track record as is posted on-line... all manufacturers have some bad components come off assembly lines, its simple math easier to replace then repair... :)

A LOONG LOONG time ago, I was one of those "people" NEVER again...

:laugh:

I was lucky, I only lost a mobo, and it was brand new, so I just took it back to the comp show and told them it was bad...

:speechless:

Mike A!

Agreed regarding the psu...

As for Asus i would say they are great, i use the p5 one, not sure on the whole name, but it has run 24/7 for over 365 days, with fah on and almost constant batch rendering and never ever has there been an issue with it; admittedly one of the heat pipes is lose, but that hasn't seemed to affect anything. overall the next mobo will probably be and asus or possibly a gigabyte which is my other fav. primarily because it comes in pretty colors. :)

One word about PC P and C. They have great PSU's, but some of the models can be a little loud.

Go for 2 x 2GB on the ram it is cheaper to buy 2 sticks than 4 sticks and the more sticks the higher the risk of timing issues creating instability. 2x2gb will also allow you to upgrade when Vista XP comes out...

The above said. Be wary of ASUS. It is very finicky with ram. Another reason 2x2gb might be a better choice. Make sure you buy ASUS certified RAM if you buy an ASUS MB.

Couple of points worthy of consideration.

"all manufacturers have some bad components come off assembly lines, its simple math easier to replace then repair" - Very true.
Some manufacturers have a lot more than others, and as such receive a bad reputation for build quality. Something that was reiterated in an above post by lancer re; heatpipe assembly.
Ergo one of the reasons why you consider PCP&C to be good: High Build Quality... no?

Whilst PCP&C are undoubtedly one of the best, if not the best PSU manufacturer
(although I feel Zippy might have something to say about this. They're their main competitor) You seem to have missed the point.

EP expressed interest in modular PSUs. PCP&C do not offer any such solution.
They do not make modular PSUs period.
My recommendation came as a result of the original asking criteria not a link to the best PSU I could find at any price :)
If it was a matter of listing what's the best PSU no-expense-spared I can buy for my home PC then PCP&C would have been a worthy recommendation. However 'Zippy' would have also been up there as would 'Silverstone'.
PCP&C PSUs are powerful, but also noisy, expensive and geared primarily for the commercial sector.
Plus buying one at a reasonable price in the UK is an exercise in futility. ;)

I like the explanation of the RAM, I might be a chump and go for 8 gig ;D

EP, I seriously suggest waiting till Nehalem comes out :)

If you've waited this long, you can wait a little longer. Heck, I'm still running my old X2 4400+ and 1950XT video card with 2 GB ram :smoker:

And I am still playing tf2 @ 1920x1200 ;)

-edit-

But if you do build,

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?quicklinx=4YCV should be your new processor.

Last edited:
Yeah 9450 is at the sensible price point.

So you are only using a dual core machine? Poor you...
remember where I am at :D

Yah, but apparently your video card is pants :smoker:

So wait for Nehalem and work everything then.

You don't have to go for the gigantor versions :)

The lower/mid range versions should suffice. The on-die memory controller is the kicker for me :D

9800GTX is pointless. It uses the same G92 core processor as the 8800GTS and 8800GT as well as some of the newer 8800GTX models. An 8800 Ultra is a better performer than a 9800GTX.

The new highend graphics card will be the 9800 GX2. That is suppose to take on the 8800 Ultra.

All information on the 9800 GTX is speculation at the moment.

I honestly don't know what I'd do if I were going to build a new computer without recycling any parts in the next couple of months...... NVIDIA has new stuff coming out.... Intel has new stuff coming out.... Both Intel and NVIDIA have some very good stuff out already. Tough choices right now..... I'll post what I have running at the end of this post to give you an idea of the hardware that I like (other than the 680i motherboard).

Go with a dual core instead of a quad core (I have quads mainly because of World Community Grid)? I've seen some test results on the new dual cores (E8*** series) that looked very promising. If quad core, QX6850, QX6800 (both can be found cheaper than the QX9650), QX9650 or wait on the Q9450???

Buy parts that are compatible with DDR2 (DDR2 is a lot cheaper than DDR3) or buy parts that are compatible with DDR3 because it's the future?

Video cards...... Whew! Tough choices here too. The 8800GTX is very good. The 8800 Ultra is supposed to be a little faster. There's the 9800GX2 coming soon and the 9800GTX a little later..... Buy what's available now or wait???

I'm glad I'm not trying to decide on what to buy at this moment.......... That said, I'd probably buy an Intel DX38BT. The draw back to that board is that it requires DDR3. http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/DX38BT/index.htm

Concerning the PC Power & Cooling power supplies..... The Silencer series is not noisy. Some of the Turbo-Cool series are noisy.

I built a new computer for my son back in the fall. The parts I used are as follows:

Cooler Master 690 case
Intel DG965WH motherboard
Q6700 CPU
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme CPU cooler
8800 GTS 640MB video card
X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty sound card
3GB (2X1GB + 2 X 512MB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2 800 RAM
320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (perpendicular recording tech) hard drive
PC P&C Silencer 610 power supply
Vista Ultimate 32 bit

I switched out the rear 120mm fan for a medium speed 120mm Yates Loon. Changed the 120mm fan in the side panel to a low speed 140mm Yates Loons. Added a 140mm low speed Yates Loon in the top and switched out the front LED fan for a non-LED low speed Yates Loon (son didn't want the light from the fan to bother him at night). That combination is cool and quiet.

The computers that I have are as follows:
Note 1: I'm running World Community Grid on all of my computers < main reason for quad cores.
Note 2: None of the following are what I'd call quiet due to the extra fans that I've added and the CPU's running at 100% 24/7.

Main rig (the one I'm on now):

32 bit XP PRO
CM Stacker 810
Intel D975XBX2
QX6700 @ 3.5GHz
8800GTX
3GB Ballistix PC2-8000

2 X 150GB Raptors in Raid 0
320 GB Seagate 7200.10
PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU
X-FI XtremeMusic

Computer that I built to play around with Vista:

Vista Ultimate 64
CM Stacker 810
Intel D975XBX2
Q6600 @ 3.4GHz
8800GTX
8GB
G.Skill PC2-8000
150GB Raptor
750GB WD Caviar SE16
PC P&C Silencer 750 PSU
Using on board sound....

Just a cruncher.............

Vista Business 32 bit
Cooler Master Centurion 5
XFX 680i SLI motherboard (I do not like this mobo as well as the BadAxe2)
Q6600 @ 3.2GHz
2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500
ATI X300 SE
Enermax Noisetaker

Another cruncher that will be running as soon as I get the money to buy a power supply (either a PC P&C Silencer 470 or 610) and operating system (going to use Vista Home Premium 64).

Cooler Master Centurion 5
Intel D975XBX2
E6700 @ ???
2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500
Zalman 9700 CPU cooler
ATI X300 SE

I have pretty much decided on the X48 Intel/ASUS Maximus Rampage which Overclockers got in stock yesterday. DDR2 so thinking 8 gig just to be obscene for not alot of cash.

Video card, still undecided but waiting to see how the 9800 GTX plays, I rather like the sound of having 4 video cards as in the two 3870X2, would be amusing.

PSU is dependent on wheter I do that.

Still waiying for the Q9450, very popular and might cheat and go for the Q9550 which is a huge markup so should be more available?

That's going to be a sick and expensive system. Benchmarking should be fun :D

I have pretty much decided on the X48 Intel/ASUS Maximus Rampage which Overclockers got in stock yesterday. DDR2 so thinking 8 gig just to be obscene for not alot of cash.

Video card, still undecided but waiting to see how the 9800 GTX plays, I rather like the sound of having 4 video cards as in the two 3870X2, would be amusing.

PSU is dependent on wheter I do that.

Still waiying for the Q9450, very popular and might cheat and go for the Q9550 which is a huge markup so should be more available?

I have a 9450 on the way you narb, and my "build" was an impulse buy last night.

Get with the program already before you end up an old granny with a walker and an old 286 clunking away in the background :smoker:

I caved:

2x HIS ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 1024MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express)
2x Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator PC2-8500C5 TwinX (2x2GB) Supplied with Airflow Fan (TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF)
Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition QX9650 "LGA775 Yorkfield" 3.00GHz (1333FSB)
Asus Rampage Formula Intel X48 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Enermax Galaxy 1000W EGX1000EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU
Pioneer BDC-202BK 5x BD-ROM + 12x12 DVD±RW Serial ATA Dual Layer ReWriter - (Black)

Try that for impulse buy :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back