Bit Torrent

mike09

OSNN Senior Addict
how can i raise my share rating. how do i share files. i know this sounds noobish because im new to this program. thanks in advance.

BitTorrent works differently from other traditional P2P software. You don't need to specifically enable sharing of files. While you are downloading a particular file, you are also uploading parts of it to other people. Even after your download is complete, you will continue to upload the file to other users until you explicitly cancel it or close the window.
Basically, "seeders" are people who have finished downloading the entire file and are serving it to the rest, while "leechers" are people who are downloading the file, but are also uploading the part that they have already downloaded to other people (hope that made sense? :p)

And AFAIK, there isn't a "share rating" as such in BitTorrent, but I could be mistaken.

Your download speed on BT is relative to your upload speed. If you upload more than you download, you will have a positive share rating and will be able to download at faster speeds. Positive share ratings can be very helpful on a highly requested file, but don't really matter on files that aren't as popular. There is no way to increase your share rating except by uploading more than you are downloading.

ok bit torrent does have a "share rating" if you care to call it that .. if you share lots you get favored over others that aren't. the best way to make sure you can send back what you get is by making sure the correct ports are open/forwarded by going here and giving that a read thru. Also if your looking for a real nice BT client I would suggest ABC as its much nicer looking and has bunch more features that the "official" release doesn't have.

remember to share though ...

NetRyder said:
BitTorrent works differently from other traditional P2P software. You don't need to specifically enable sharing of files. While you are downloading a particular file, you are also uploading parts of it to other people. Even after your download is complete, you will continue to upload the file to other users until you explicitly cancel it or close the window.
Basically, "seeders" are people who have finished downloading the entire file and are serving it to the rest, while "leechers" are people who are downloading the file, but are also uploading the part that they have already downloaded to other people (hope that made sense? :p)

And AFAIK, there isn't a "share rating" as such in BitTorrent, but I could be mistaken.

NetRyder, what are you doing in this thread ?... it smells like bad warez... :(

We usually give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to P2P software. Pretty much any P2P application can be used to obtain illegal material.
However, there are several legitimate downloads on BitTorrent as well, one example being Linux ISO's. It helps to relieve the load on regular download mirrors.

"How do I share files" sounds like a legitimate question to me, and I personally don't believe in enforcing a draconian policy in situations like this.
If anything illegal does come up though, this thread is being monitored, and will be locked.

Thanks for the concern, though. Appreciated. :)

Sometimes BT is a nice way to get Red vs. Blue episodes, too. 3dGamers.com usually has BT downloads of most game demos (like the recent Far Cry demo).

I use it for music .. yes legit music :) PJ boots to be correct, from here.

Compared to other P2P clients, BT is very legit. A lot of software that would normally require lots of mirrors now utilize BT. The last Mandrake ISOs I got through BT as well as America's Army and Enemy Territory.

BT is the don for getting demo's, beats fileplanet and all it's spin-offs any day. I also found it the quickest way to get Enemy territory :)

There's nothing illegitimate about it.

i entirely take NetRyder's opinion on these things. allthough they MAY be a way for some people to get warez, they also have some other helpful things that are shared on them, such as (what i like downloadin sometimes) music videos for songs that i like.

Torrents are awesome, i've downloaded atleast 3 gigs worth of public "e-books" which are helping me in my CBIS classes.

Open and/or forward at least one of the ports from 6881 to 6889. That will allow you to upload/share your downloads, which will then allow you to download faster. Before I opened the ports, I would typically download files from torrents at about 20-30k/sec. after opening one port in my firewall, typical download speeds are 110-150k/sec (depending on the popularity).

'm behind a firewall/NAT, can I use BitTorrent?

Yes, but you will get better performance if other peers can connect to you. By default, BitTorrent listens on port 6881, trying incrementially higher ports if it's unable to bind, and gives up after 6889 (the port range is configurable). It's up to you to figure out how to poke a hole in your firewall/NAT.

BT is the slowest and most stressful downloader there is. I tried to download Red Hat with it, I waited three days for it to even start and this is with it saying it had over 2500. When it did start it went about 10% and just died. It reminded me of the gnutella network. Needless to see I came to the conclusion that it sux just like gnutella. Now if you have about a month to wait for the download to start or finish then it's deff for you. Otherwise I would advise staying away from it :) You can get the Os's faster from their respected sites or you can go to regular distro and use an ftp. You would get them downloaded by the time BT even starts to download

Johnny said:
BT is the slowest and most stressful downloader there is. I tried to download Red Hat with it, I waited three days for it to even start and this is with it saying it had over 2500. When it did start it went about 10% and just died. It reminded me of the gnutella network. Needless to see I came to the conclusion that it sux just like gnutella. Now if you have about a month to wait for the download to start or finish then it's deff for you. Otherwise I would advise staying away from it :) You can get the Os's faster from their respected sites or you can go to regular distro and use an ftp. You would get them downloaded by the time BT even starts to download

you need to find a better torrent site.

Johnny said:

Did you try opening the ports on your router/firewall. See dax-'s post above yours. Unopened ports are usually the main cause for sluggish downloads on BT.

NetRyder said:
Did you try opening the ports on your router/firewall. See dax-'s post above yours. Unopened ports are usually the main cause for sluggish downloads on BT.
So true. After I formatted and activated my firewall, I tried to grab a torrent, and kept getting tracker errors, realised the next day I hadn't added the filter to my firewall.. voilla full-speed downloads :)

Johnny said:
your either not opening ports or your not sharing back ... you may have gotten a bad torrent but I doubt you could get a bad official RH torrent :(

I didn't know that there were other Bit Torrent clients, thanks for the link to ABC Xie!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back