Bit Torrent Rant (Contains Strongish l33t language)

GoNz0 said:
i read a post last week about the new windows firewall only allowing so many connections to help stops worms spreading so fast. there was a fix posted with it tho'
It's not the Windows Firewall. It's a change in the TCP stack itself. As you mentioned, the purpose is to prevent the spread of worms. The fix is merely a hacked tcpip.sys file that allows an unlimited number of connections.

I wouldn't recommend using it at all, unless you're sure that SP2 was responsible for causing any problems with your P2P apps, and you're willing to face any consequences that come with it.

The great part of BitTorrent is that it was designed for people to share with others what you have while you wait for someone to have the part(s) you need. By capping or limiting (largely) the number of peers you connect to you shaft yourself as your download speed is greatly dependent on how much you share. :) You don't share you don't get anything. Also helps if you have more then a handful of seeds compared to leechers.

Lee said:
I forgot to add I use this one from here:

http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/download.html

Thats the one I refered to as "standard no frills attached" app that people were uploading from me at about 20 times the speed as I was downloading... the dl/ul ratio looked something like... 1.5/20

paul2-0-0-2 said:
Use ABC or Torrent Storm
..five words... Macintosh user...not Windows user.

Xie said:
Other then the overall low speeds (could be due to not forwarding ports) the ratio looks normal (sometimes the ratio changes as you get more of the file that others need or they get what you need). Are you on dialup? If so I would say all is well

I have the relevant port range forwarding on. It doesn't make a whole heap of different. I'm on an ADSL connection. Upload speed-wise its right for my connection, but download speedwise I'm equal to or worse than my mate who does still use dialup and Bit T'

PseudoKiller said:
yeah it sux when you cant d/l your warez fast enough .... oh I mean pr0n ... oh I mean linux distro ... yeah linux distro is what I mean ...

Yes it does suck not being able to d/l warez fast enough. Why share if you're going to keep me waiting :p Pr0n is the route of all evil and linux makes me giggle to much to use it :p

Straylight said:
I find that the number of concurrent uploads you allow can greatly affect your download speed. There is a setting for this in Azureus, and simply increasing/decreasing this by 1 can have fairly dramatic results!

I run on a cable modem with 1.5mb dl/256kb upload, and my simultaneous upload setting is 4, which seems on average to be best. This did however take quite some experimentation to discover, as a change doesn't have immediate affect. Also don't have too many files seeding as this will reduce your upload cappacity for the files you're still trying to get! It follows that having multiple files downloading at the same time doesn't seem to be a good idea, as each one creates its own p2p network, and as your download ability is pretty much based on your ability to upload on a given connection (unless connected to a seed), then by spreading your bandwith too thin, you simply reduce the efficiency of each connection. Make sence?

The first part of your post is networking obvious, increased traffic load over a medium naturally by defualt will cause congestion and slow up data transfer
Settings-wise whenever I use a P2P app / network, I never spread my bandwidth too thin as you put it; I don't normally go above 4 downloads / 4 uploads.

Unwonted said:
What happened to bittorrent is what happened to Kazaa...selfish masses of people started capping their uploads and not sharing at least 100%. They don't understand where their downloads come from. That's why I turned to usenet.

Thats very true. Its also what happened massively on Haxial's KDX too.
I only cap my uploads becuase:
1. I see no fairness in someone(s) using up my bandwidth, uploading at 20K or more, while I'm sitting here like a fool getting around 1.5K. Thats why I cap at around 10K
2. Out of ...darest I say curtosy since I share my connection with family. (And no, my brother wasn't on trying to dowload 20 gigs worth of "Hwat Monkey Lovin' :p )

GoNz0 said:
SP2 is gunna fek up torrent speeds as it caps the amount of connections per app unless a 3rd party tool is used, and yeh sounds like u is firewalled or behind a router for speeds that low..

Thats nice, though since once again I point out that I am a Mac user and as such this is irrelevent to me. Argueably yes, it may affect P2P apps if said restrictions are in place, but as history tells me, I doubt it will impact me greatly :p

GoNz0 said:
lol yeh i missed the mac part ;)
hhmmm maybes someone needs to lay off the lollypops for a while ay? :p *points to title of Forum section* ;)

______

That is all for now :)

Scooter said:
hhmmm maybes someone needs to lay off the lollypops for a while ay? :p *points to title of Forum section* ;)

______

Poke.gif

I've had no trouble getting good dl speeds using Azureus on OS X. The only time I see poor speeds is when there are few seeds, like Dave already mentioned. I'm sorry you're not having a better experience with it and I wish I could offer you more suggestions than you've already been given.

with reference to users capping their upload speed I'd liek to make this point:

In our house we have 512/256 ADSL. In our house we have 5 people using this at peak times, 3 or 4 most of the time.. In our house my brother uses bittorrent. If he uncaps upload, none of us can use the internet for love nor money as bittorrent just wiped out the limited upstream that we need to send requests to servers and just swallowed up all the downstream.

Therefore he is required to cap his up/down speed.

Do think about this and not call everyone selfish little bastards that wont share what they are downloading, and stop whining that you cant get your stuff fast enough because of it.

On the flipside if I use bittorrent myself, I usually use my servers which are sitting on a 2mbit/2mbit dedicated leased line with no caps and frequently get 240kb/sec in both directions. I will always endeavour to leave that seedong for 24 hours as a minimum.

On the whole Bittorrent adn other P2P applications for filesharing are horribly inefficient, you would do bettuer using ftp or http where the choice is presented.

Well if you don't want to allow any uploads then modify the files (being open source you can) not to upload or upload at 1k.

I downloaded a service pack (beta, my only use of it) at first it was really slow, then after 20 minutes got faster till 40 minutes later I was fast down and very slow up.

It's just a matter of luck I guess.

LordOfLA said:
Do think about this and not call everyone selfish little bastards that wont share what they are downloading, and stop whining that you cant get your stuff fast enough because of it.

I had the same problem on cable back home (having to cap the upload speeds). The way I see it, people can cap all they want as long as people share to 100%. They're giving at least as much as they're taking--download one copy, give the equivalent of one copy away, and Bittorrent lives on.

muzikool said:
I've had no trouble getting good dl speeds using Azureus on OS X. The only time I see poor speeds is when there are few seeds, like Dave already mentioned. I'm sorry you're not having a better experience with it and I wish I could offer you more suggestions than you've already been given.
Azureus! :eek: Kill it! :p

I wish they'd intergrate a bit torrent manager into safari or some other decent browser :p

*wields cabbage* Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrr.......... oh wait, I have to go to work, no time to nip over to Texas. Damn.

Personally i always seem to get awesome download speeds, around 300 KB/secs when uploading at 50 KB/secs

Arf! I've actually resorted back to Azureus, this version doesn't give Kernel panic's. All's good :p

Azureus Rox !

I have my upload set to 10k and my download set to unlimited .. It works great .. They say to set your upload to atleast 80% of your upload rate. I think that is bull, the way I have it set get me about 50 to 100k download :)

You should have both set to unlimited. :rolleyes:

Just for reference, the latest Azureus gave me Kernel Panics yet again, I've given up and gone back to the official client. I've been informed that Azureus does the same on Linux too, so basically it's crap on anything except Win32. Bah.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back