AMD vs INTEL

Re: in the long run

Originally posted by mgargan1

Oh and by the way, all you people praising Hammer CPU's, AMD's own Jerry Sanders said not to expect too much, and stop bringing all this hype to the new processor. And Intel has a little trick up their sleeve with Prescott and Yamhill...

I'd like to see where you saw this interesting tidbit of information. "Don't expect too much from it." If they didn't bring hype to the processor, then why the heck even sell it? That's like telling your own children you don't love them. Please...I have a hard time believing that someone would try to play down the hype of their own product..unless...AMD has a trick up their sleeve... And Prescott, don't get me started. Yahmill: x86-64 in disguise. Clear and simple. It's Intel's way of saying "Oops...why didn't we think of that?" However, I know that in the past AMD has been known to steal a few technologies...but following coming from the industry leader? Now that's shocking!

The market will get very interesting in the next 2 years. What intel and AMD are trying to to is get a processor that can enable Hyper-Threading. it is a fasinating technology, and it can work on a dual-Xeon system, but is not perfected.
I read the article in Macimum PC in the July 2002 edition, intel hopes to have it in consumer machines in 2003.
Overview:
http://www.intel.com/technology/hyperthread/
In detail:
http://www.intel.com/technology/hyperthread/download/25000802.pdf

And a non partial party:
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-830470.html

what do you think will make the bigger difference... hypertransport with 86x-64... or hyperthreading with a .09 process... I think that's what the next generation processing will come down to... also I think intel is making something called 3GIO which is supposed to be faster than agp 8x... but we'll see what happens in the near future... all that is for sure, is that both companies will have processors that are damn fast!

Price always comes with a catch

It may seem AMD processors are cheaper than INtel processors but take a minute to think about something besides speed, waht about stability and heat? Pentium 4s may be more expensive but they are better quality and release less heat than any amd. Also the Frontsidebus and Cache of the new Pentium 4s are alot bigger than Amds. If you have the money Intel is a better choice, intel has been in the processor business longer than amd, they know better ;).

I love my P4 2.2GHz. I have always been with intel and probably always will. My only regret was didn't wait 30 days longer to buy my computer because I could have gotten a 2.53GHz for not a penny more.

Well i have to admit at the begining of 2001 intel did make big mistakes which amd is making right now. First Pentium 4s came out with only one type of memory RDRAM so its sales were in a slump. Now take a look at Amds i think most of them only support DDR. Amd is going on a slump pretty soon unless they release their new processors. BTW Technology wise intel has the lead with the 0.13 micron the 533 mhz FSB and the 512kb Cache, also Pentiums are hell of alot better to overlock than AMDS, they can overclock pentiums by the GHZ, LOL. :cool:

dont AMD generate more heat than a P4? ie with the retail fans

I hear thay do run hotter. good idea to check the heatsync every few days, to make sure its still on :)

The last thing you want is to have a AMD w/o a heatsync running. (unless your into arson)

Originally posted by catch23
The only way they run extremely hot is if you have a warm ambient air temp or you have a POS stock fan on it...60mm fans don't do crap to cool high-speed (actually high performance compared to Pentium 4s) processors.

Actually you are quite wrong there, my XP 2000+ consistently ran at 50-52C idle and 58C load. That is with a thermaltake volcano 7+ on high speed and artic silver compound.(sounding like a Fu*&ing hair dryer)

My P4 runs at 39C and 42C load with stock heatsink/fan(nice and quiet) with supplied thermal compound on bottom of heatsink.....Not to mention it is a hell of allot faster....
:D

LOL whatever dude, but its still faster.

And for the record I have 5 fans in case 2 in 3 out with AC on at 69 Degrees down here.

When I took side panel off I got temp of amd down to 49C Idle.....but it was just too damn noisy!

Just posting the facts.

I would spend the extra cash and go with the Intel.

If its faster....whats your point?

and more overclockable??? give it up dude

mabye when the "clawhammer" comes out we can talk....hell if its faster Ill switch....

benches dont lie, Im sticking with Intel for now.

Thats why they run so warm, they are naturally "overclocked" from the factory...If you want to call it that.

If you do that with a p4, you get the same effect.

You can overclock a Intel and get the same damn performance(and heat as amd) If not slightly better.

Intels are more stable in my opinion because they run cooler.

I am convinced they are damn near equal processors...just intel has the upper hand right now and amd seems to be at a standstill.

And you cant argue with 533fsb.

And isnt speed the goal, no matter how it is achieved?

Believe it or not I was a die hard amd fan like you till last week.:rolleyes:

But I digress

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back