AMD 64-bit single-core processor club

Re: Athlon 64-bit processor club

lancer said:
gonaads to you see any kind of speed increase with the o/c on the cpu? ANd i mean real world increase not spec increase. like to games run faster, or the pc boot up quicker?!

Boot does seem to be a bit quicker. As for gaming, I haven't tried yet. I will need to up my Video Card to really give any kind of reasults as to that (gaming speed).

But as to my imaging proggy (PSP 9), it does do tasks more briskly. Overall windows do open with more of a "snap" than before. Gonna have to try more proggies and report.

I am using the AMD heat sink and fan that came in the box with CPU. MBM 5 shows CPU temp at 51c MoBo temp ranges up to 80c under heavy load on first day. After that it has been around 60 to 65c (still checking into that, not sure what actual temp for this MoBo and CPU setup is normal). But I think if I install a NorthBridge fan it should cool down more (asus heatsink is the only thing ATM). I may look into a better/bigger copper CPU heatsink/fan in the near future.

What's the difference between San Diego and Venice cores?

What I found was:

* Venice 3000+, Venice 3200+, Venice 3500+ and Venice 3800+ should start shipping on April 4, 2005;

* San Diego 4000+ should start shipping on April 15, 2005.

San Diego and Venice are the current names for the E0 revision of 64 bit chips from AMD.

From what I read the San Diego is a new AMD 64FX core and the Vence is going to continue on from the winchester core.

The Venice might be slightly faster than winchester due to its new revised memory controller. Also Venice will have SSE3 supports.

Please, anyone correct me if any of this is wrong. :)

what new stuff can be found underneath the surface though?
more cache? SSE3?

or is everything the same apart from being 90nm?

Well, here is what I have done. Mind you that this worked (so far it's still stable :D ) for me. It may not work for you. Plus this also depends on the quality of your CPU. I will update my Heatsink and fan this weekend (don't wanna cook breakfast on my CPU :p).

Now as to my first post you all know what MoBo/CPU?Memory setup I am using.

In my BIOS I have set under the "Configure System Frequency/Volage" the "AI Overclocking" to "Manual".
Set the "CPU FSB Frequency" to 215 Mhz

I Set the "CPU Speed/Voltage Setting" to "manual" and set the "CPU Voltage" to 1.55v

And I now have a stable (for now :rolleyes: ) setup at 1.94 GHz... up from the stock 1.8 GHz.

cpu-z_screen.jpg

Funny tha CPU-Z shows the voltage at 1.456v... Hmmmmm

Also Proggies seem a bit more "snappy" and quicker. My WS_FTP Pro pops open much faster than before and all transfers are quicker. Windows Explorer opens faster, refreshes quicker. Ad-Aware SE Pro runs like it's possessed (fast as hell). My Virus Scan flies through it's testings. WinZip 9, quite fast. And so on... Bottom line I am quite happy. :)

Yeah, the AMD64s overclock nicely. I have a 3200 OCed to 2.4ghz at 240FSB. It's idle at 38-40c at load it's about 47c

Finally have time to welcome myself to the club!

Nice rig NathanA. :)

Never bothered posting here but I just built 2 rigs mine in SIG

And the kids machine is ASUS A8V deluxe , AMD 3000+ 939 pin , Gigabyte 6800 Fanless , 1 gig Kingston ram ect ect ..

Very happy with both our AMD 64's great motherboards as well .

And I want to be king of the world... It ain't gonna happen. :D

I know... Would make me look bad. :p

I now have one in my Laptop :D. To bad it's gone back for a new DVD Burner ¬_¬.

Just joined the club with one of these. I think I'm a permanent AMD convert now. :devious:

a64-4000.jpg

Last edited:

Is anyone else running the Asus A8V deluxe MoBo?

I've noticed an issue with MBM5 and the way it monitors the temps of the CPU and of the MoBo. They do not seem correct.

I uninstalled MBM5 and installed SpeedFan 4.22 now all my temps seem correct.

CPU temp with MBM5: 51c
With SpeedFan 4.22: 42c

MoBo temp with MBM5: varried from 50c to as much as 81c (this within a few seconds)
With SpeedFan 4.22: 36c

Any input?

[edit]
Oh yeah, CPU is 3000+ (1.8GHz OC to 1.94GHz).

I use that board 2 of them one with the 3000+ one with the 3500+ and I use the ASUS probe that came with the board it has all the features I need and never seems to be wrong , it has fans speeds, temps, and voltages

Now there's a thought.

D00h! :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back