AMD 64-bit single-core processor club

Re: Athlon 64-bit processor club

dragonbeat said:
just been reading about your booting up etc with your Asus board and -x64bit programme.following what you wrote about bios having to be 1009 or above ,i opened my copy of everest home edition and according to the programme my reading is 1010.003 ,is this okay for the new board or do i need to upgrade the bios . :rolleyes:

That one should be fine.

You can also download CPU-Z and click the Motherboard tab at the top and you will see all about your Board. Plus it gives ya all kinds of info on yer CPU and it's Cache, Memory and again, the Motherboard.

http://www.cpuid.org/index.php

Last edited:

:) many thanks for the reply,its good to know that your doing something right ,following this i think i might venture and order myself a copy of the xp pro 64,so hopefully it should be here waiting for me when i get back off my holidays :laugh:

I'VE FINALLY GOT MY AMD64 PROCESSOR!!! YAY!!!

sorry for the caps... I'm sooo happy to have got my hands on the new cpu.
It's an Athlon64 3700+ San Diego 1mb cache. Been waiting too long for the 3500+ so took the plunge and spent £40 more to get the 3700+ instead.
I'm in the process of installing windows now. Not sure how long it'll take before I've got all my programs and other files sorted and start using the machine properly. :D

Woot!!!

Windows x64?
I got my Commerative Edition today... thanks Kunal :D

Nah, I'm sticking to 32-bit for the time being. Will sort out all my data files and stuff before trying the 64-bit OS.

Go ming Go! :D

Let us know how that 3700 runs and if you are using CPU-Z post a screen shot.

Update:

Well since I have been pushin my 3500+ to 2.64 GHz it has been a tad warm and every so often, "twitchy". I thought of throttling back a touch but then, I thought it out... Hell no. :D

So I do the only thing that should be done. Change the cooling solution without getting exotic. I thought of the Zalman CNPS7700-Cu Cooler. Yeah the huge beast. But way too heavy, and I don't care what they say about it not hurting the MoBo or anything else due to the weight of it. I don't trust it. Not the cooling mind you, just the way that thing would hang off the side of the CPU. So I went with the Arctic Cooling ACFZ-64 Freezer 64. I like the design, weight, and the price (was on sale for 27 dollars U.S.).

My original temp readings with the stock AMD heatsink and fan was:

CPU Idle - 48c to 49c (sometimes it would drop to 45c)

CPU Full Load - 51c

MoBo w/CPU at Idle - 32c to 36c

MoBo w/Full Load on CPU - 38c

-----------------------------------

Now with Arctic Freezer 64:

CPU Idle - 44c

Basic usage (Imaging work, music, pdf viewing, CD burning, etc...) - 45c

Full Load - 48c

MoBo w/CPU at Idle - 29c

MoBo w/CPU at Full Load - 31c to 32c

Suffice to say that this CPU heatsink and fan solution works well. Luv them heat pipes.

If anyone else uses this setup, please post yer readings and pros/cons.

gonaads said:
Go ming Go! :D

Let us know how that 3700 runs and if you are using CPU-Z post a screen shot.

I'm enjoying every moment of it. :)

here's CPU-Z for ya.

Attachments

• AMD1.JPG
    AMD1.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 102
  • AMD2.JPG
    AMD2.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 102

Wait a moment Ming... Ummmm, your Memory is runnin at too low of a speed. That is very inefficient. It's DDR400, that's 200MHZ per channel. 157.9MHz is sloooooow. You should be able to go into the BIOS and set it 1:1

Hell your Memory is rated at 2-2-2-5 timings at 200MHz

Your HTT or Bus speed is 200.9MHz, your Mem should easily run at that speed.

My Mem is the Corsair Value Select and it's running at 188.9MHz. I can't make it get any closer to 200MHz since my CPU is peaked out at 240MHz HTT

Found this about that Mem.

Bizarrely then, for such a well-specified product, the SPD on the chips was programmed to boot at less strenuous timings, meaning you won't get the best out of the product at its standard settings. We had to manually edit the timings in the BIOS to get to the correct settings, which seems odd.

In the CPC Media Benchmarks, the Corsair produced some very good scores at stock speeds, reflecting the aggressive timings. However, we were unable to overclock it very far without lowering the latency timings, and had to drop them to 2.5 - 3 - 3 -7 to reach 215MHz.

Yeah, I thought I saw 167MHz on something during bootup.. I think I left the BIOS setting at manual rather than optimised OC.

HyperTransport I set to 4x. You think 5x is best for OCing?

Read this, it could give you a good starting point.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1734&page=4

If I find anything closer to your setup I'll post it.

[edit]
If this board is the K8N Neo4 Then I also found this little tidbit.

It seems that the board is limited to a 235MHz FSB with the Aggressive timing option in the BIOS Cell Menu screen enabled. Anything above that FSB and the system will not post. However, it is a vastly different story with the Aggressive timing option disabled.

And this kinda worried me.

4 Dimms at 2GB

Finally, we populated all 4 DIMM slots with 512 MB DIMS in each for a total of 2GB of system memory. With all 4 DIMM slots full, we found that the board would not post at all regardless of what memory we tried. We attempted to boot the system with matched sticks of Mushkin, Kingston, and Corsair modules, all to no avail.

I would think this is something that can be easily sorted out by MSI with a BIOS revision.

Last two quotes from: [H]ard|OCP

Last edited:

thanx gonaads... wouldn't have given it a second thought if you didn't point it out to me. :)
here's another stab at it.

Attachments

• AMD3.JPG
    AMD3.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 93

gonaads.. did you get my reps just now?? got probs with connection at the moment.

Yes I did, Thank you. :)

Post a couple of pics. One of your SPD tab and one of your Memory tab. This way we can see your Mem timing and such.

These be mine.

Last edited:

Asus A8V Deluxe (Rev 2.0) BIOS ver 1011.005

Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 (ACFZ-64)

Plus I also put a fan on the Northbridge Chipset heatsink (just for the shiits of it :p).

OK, here's the rest... you've already seen the first tab in CPU-Z. :)

I'm sure there are other 'slow' things happening on my machine... but after changing the memory clock.. menus and windows are loading even faster. lol :p

Attachments

• AMD4.JPG
    AMD4.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 104
  • AMD5.JPG
    AMD5.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 108

Very nice... now that is much better. Just keep an eye on any system quirkiness. But I think it all should be really smooth.

wats with the DRAM idle timer? you're showing 16 but mine is 256 cycles.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back