AMD 64-bit single-core processor club

Re: Athlon 64-bit processor club

Sazar, I believe what you are looking for is posted in my original posting.

go, now they were advertized at the same speed though granted I got them from diff. companies that shouldn't theoretically matter. The first post was the first slot and here is slot 2:
spd2.gif

Both are supposed to be rated at 200mhz.

That first one you have in "slot #1" is the one that is screwy. How long ago did you get it? And is there any way you can exchange it for another one. Very very strange that it has two (2) sets of timings.

Strange that I can't seem to find any info on a Mem stick that has two (2) timing tables.

if you have 4 sticks of the same ram can it still run in dual channel mode?

yes, I have 4 sticks of the Corsair ValueSelect DDR400 PC3200 (total of 2 Gigs) and it is all dual channel.

is the 2 gigs a noticable diffrence over 1 gig? score wise in benches and such and gameplay? i may just keep this replacment set of sticks coming to me if it is. What you think gonaads

gonaads said:
That first one you have in "slot #1" is the one that is screwy. How long ago did you get it? And is there any way you can exchange it for another one. Very very strange that it has two (2) sets of timings.

Strange that I can't seem to find any info on a Mem stick that has two (2) timing tables.

Will check on return policy. It is the one that I originally picked up with the mobo and cpu.

VenomXt said:
is the 2 gigs a noticable diffrence over 1 gig? score wise in benches and such and gameplay? i may just keep this replacment set of sticks coming to me if it is. What you think gonaads

Well since the AMD 64 CPU has an integrated DDR Memory Controller it reduces DRAM latency and allows for better performance from memory intensive applications. Plus the 512KB or the 1MB on-die L2 cache helps a ton also (depending on what CPU you have). Now just like in da old days when we threw more and more memory at the Windows OS I think it's still the same today. That we have more RAM and that the OS doesn't have to go looking on the HDD as much for running an Application. Today it's just controlled/used more efficiently.

So in game play, yes. Scorewise in Benchmarks and such, it depends on how your system is configured. You could be pushing your CPU and RAM to the OCed edge and get louzy scores. Or maybe you got lucky and got a good core and scores are great. You could also have your Memory timing all wrong or too slow (frequency) and since your Mem is not running efficiently you will get crappy scores. Someone that is running their RAM timing rite to it's max but their CPU is not OCed or just barely, they will get consistently better scores than you.

It's trial and error until you get what you want or what you think is the best that you can get out of your system. Someone that plays a ton of games may want to have their systems set up a different way than say, a person that does a ton of spread sheets and/or music editing, or someone that does nothing but graphics.

Lots of RAM is good if it is set up correctly. If not, then it's a waste. 512 MBytes or 2 GBytes, all depends on how efficiently it is configured and how the system is running.

Oooh, my head hurts. :p

Please post any corrections to what I have posted and/or additional helpful information, so we can learn and understand more. Me included.

Here is a quote about, "How much RAM". It's about 8 months old but I think it's a good read.

How Much RAM Do You Need?

Most new off-the-shelf computers come with 256 MB (or more) of RAM, and 256 MB is the minimum you should have to run Windows XP. Although the System Requirements page suggests 128 MB or higher, if you only have the minimum amount, you'll run into problems with third-party software and when working with large files. Just because Windows XP can run on 128 MB of RAM doesn't mean all third-party programs can. For instance, Adobe Photoshop CS requires 192 MB of RAM (256 MB is recommended), and without it, the program either will not install properly or will not work properly once installed.

Third-party software isn't the only reason to have extra RAM though. Movie Maker 2 recommends 256 MB to function as its best. That's because applications need a place to store data temporarily while you're editing a photo or rendering a movie, or even printing a file or picture, and that temporary storage area is RAM. When RAM gets full, data gets swapped out of RAM to the hard drive to make room for the incoming data. Getting the old data back from the hard drive takes much longer than getting it from RAM, so when this happens there's a noticeable slowdown.

The RAM issue in a nutshell: if you have less than 512 MB of RAM on your Windows XP-based computer and you use any of the media tools that come with Windows XP including Windows Media Player and Movie Maker, or if you use third-party image editing tools, or run multiple programs at once, you probably need more RAM. And if you only have 128 MB of RAM and can't add more, avoid running multiple programs at once and editing large image files.

quote taken from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/ballew_tshootram.mspx

And this one as to Video editing:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/dunn_03august11_ram.mspx

I'm going off into another world... time to shut up. :p

fianally the fx-57 is here that took a long time

VenomXt said:

I noticed a huge improvement in BF2, but thats about it. That alone is enough for some people :p. I like having two gigs, it gives you PLENTY of ram to have all your fav apps to load up when you boot

I am saving up for a dual dual-core/dual-gfx setup :cool:

THEN I can play my solitaire at 1 gazillion fps and my word documents and pivot tables will look secseh :lick:

Sazar said:
I am saving up for a dual dual-core/dual-gfx setup :cool:

THEN I can play my solitaire at 1 gazillion fps and my word documents and pivot tables will look secseh :lick:

loolol my solitare is so fast when the cards shuffle you dont see them move at all !!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I remember on the ol' 486 machine I had years ago. Added something like 32MB extra ram inside and it actually slowed the machine down. LOL.

im in the club OOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWOW:laugh:, my first club ahhaha, i think, yeh havnt got it up and runnin yet..i eh...forgot to buy thermal compound:rolleyes:

congrats when you get it up and running should post your cpu-z shots.

Here is a cpuz shot I never posted one of my setup :) :)

Attachments

• CPUZ1.JPG
    CPUZ1.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 109

Sazar said:
Since we have a couple of lads on the forums who are investing in new A64 processors or already have em... thought it might be good to have a little club thinger :D

refer technical support questions and other pertinent questions in separate threads... due to the increased volume of posts in this thread related to general questions and support inquiries, it is better and easier for those questions to be addressed in separate threads in this forum section...

thanks

:cool:

i just noticed this thread ..sign me up plz

Attachments

• computer.jpg
    computer.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

I've just got an Athlon 64 3500+, sign me up! :nervous: I am SO chuffed with this little babe!

Cheers to all the new guys. :D

Prepare yourselves!!!!!

Alas no pci-e, but who needs that when u get an average framerate of 90fps in hl2!!! i swear i have never droped below 45-50fps in any games... still its only a 3200+ im not gonna boost too much .....but its seriously rocks

Attachments

• lalala.JPG
    lalala.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 106
  • gooseanus.jpg
    gooseanus.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 87
  • bodger_sans_badger.jpg
    bodger_sans_badger.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 112

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back