Active Desktop Tutorial

that is true, but when you think about it (or at least when I thought about it), everyone has C:\WINDOW around here. so I did my best to make it easiest for everyone. I thought it made sense.

but nice tip.

well, perhaps, but i didn't start to do some active d-stuff till now, cause i dislike the idea to put all the vbs and lnk stuff in my crowdy c:\windows folder... where it is hard to find the right files again...

oh, perhaps you can add a refresh meta tag in the calendar html file, otherwise the calednar will not show the correct date if you don't reboot everyday... my pc is running 24/7 ...

but, well, soon there will be a pict of my act.d. work ... getting through with it... but i also have the stupid problem to use 8.3 format for starting programs, although i have ntfs on c:\

@all...: has anybody running emule? i want to know if i can show the current upload/download speed cia active desktop? emule genrates a file which can be used by online sig to create jpgs which are uploaded to websites... so there must be a way to get the infos and put it on the desktop... and showing my own uploaded picture isn't the solution i want ;-)

dworn, be my guest to add the necc. steps to change the path. Like I said, I had my reasons to set it to C:\WINDOWS. But, I am sure some people will be appreciative.

I have a META tag added to my calendar. I see I forgot to mention that in the tutorial. I will do so in my next update. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

Everything runs differently on different PC's. I have heard of others having to use 8.3 format on NTFS and it doesn't quite make sense to me, then again, I don't know your setup. Everything in the tutorial was tested on my machine, and on three other machines by my beta testers.

I put in 100% effort into this tutorial, and many, many hours. I did my best.

we all know that u did your best... seems like ms has just some problems with settting up its own system... i did a clean install with xp sp1 integrated, ntfs from the beginning, and still i run ino the same problem... for people who want to define another folder to place the shortcuts:

right click on "my computer" - properties - "advanced" -Tab - "Envorimenent Variables" - "System - variables"

There u have "Path"... mark it, and press the edit button... now go to the last entry, enter ";" followed by the path... don't know if you also have to beware of the 8.3 format, didn't try that, cause i use c:\windows\short as my vbs and shortcut folder...

I just started customizing my desktop today. I'm starting off slow.. adding websites first.

But everytime I use Active Desktop, my Desktop icons get an ugly blue border. Also the text for the icons are enclosed in a blue box. Why does it do this? Can I make it stop?

Thanks.

I added a pic to help...

I'll post a pic of my desktop when I finish. [If I ever finish.] :rolleyes:

change the background color of your desktop

Right click desktop
Properties
Desktop tab
Background Color

Match it up as best as you can with your wall.
I don't use icons, but I've heard that is the fix.

I use Photoshop's dropper tool to match everything up. =)

sorry if this has been asked already, but whenever i change my wallpaper or switch visual styles, i get this error sayin :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internet Explorer cannot find the Active Desktop HTML file. This file is needed for your Active Desktop.

To turn off Active Desktop, click OK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

does anybody know how to fix this?

*EDIT* nevermind, i fixed it :cool:

here's an interesting problem that i ran across: if i remove the recycle bin (using either TweakUI or the Group Policy Editor) my desktop goes crazy. By crazy i mean that my picture and my active desktop just vanish and i am just left with my background colour. does anyone have any insight to this problem?

Right click desktop
Arrange icons by
Make sure "Show Desktop Icons" is unchecked.

well, that is a much better way of doing it. thanks matt. looks like i was trying for the harder solution :)

Seems like some people have this problem and some don't. Can't figure it out, but at least there is a solution for it.

new desktop concept .. pls look and give feedback i will answer any questions

Hi all.

i have been toying with this idea for some time now and here is my first beta version of an active desktop wallpaper ...

please could you look as i am now stuck for ideas and ways to make it better... good points and bad points welcomed..

this release includes....

top toolbar for easy access to common stuff
Date and time page.
Email (pop)
Hotmail
Calendar (ala outlook)
search the web
calculator
notes page
desktop weather
web sites

the whole desktop runs from one page that loads in others through an i frame, there are no VBS files nor shortcut files required to run it,,, the email sends recieves on load of that tab and the calculator is pure html / javascript..

here are some screenies for you all to see my humble attempt, i have zipped them up for conveniance.

oo yeah my mail addy is daniel.gwalter@btinternet.com

pst ... thnks madmatt awasome tut but i refined it a little !! soz dude.

:cool:

that looks pretty cool... great work... is it possible to send it to me? would like to take it as basis for my own active wallpaper...

thanks for taking the time to reply

lol now theres a surprise ... for now the answer is no as it is work in progress BUT if i get answers to messenger and how to + hotmail login then i will give this kiddie away !! before it becomes a saleable product !!

Mooz

Mooz,

Very cool concept. Read the threads, the info on hotmail login is within the forum.

So you've built yourself a nifty windowed interface. What do you do with the rest of the desktop? :)

lol now that would be telling but as madmatt has taught me ..... show little by little ... rest assured there is a lot more there than meets the eye !!!

Damnit....Matt's always keeping the suspense level up.

So, if you resize your d-top to 800x600 then back to...looks like 1280 from your screen, do your mod positions hold? *grin*

Can you put like a little link for a program on the desktop ( not icons) but more like my own stuff?

Say you have a little symbol you want as link to photoshop for instance. I keep getting something like: Filetransfer: Would you like to open the file. It can damage the PC if you do.
Something like that. Is there somewhere I missed permissions or something?

Thanks in advance. And when I am done I will post in December desktops as well :D

Sune

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back