Active Desktop Tutorial

MADMATT.xperience v2.2.5200

MADMATT.xperience brings XP-erience.org right to your desktop through the use of Active Desktop. MMXP allows you to view the latest five news headlines (from one of five categories: main, software, hardware, gaming, security, or from all categories) and the past five forum posts (with a search function to search the forum) right from your desktop. MMXP is easy to configure for your own taste and allows you to select what you see. MMXP also offers a login for XP-erience.org Forum and a search forum function. I have also created a version check and change log online which can be accessed by clicking the version number in the top header.

In order to run MMXP you need to have access to a web server with PHP installed or install Apache/PHP on your PC (SPeedY_B's Guide). Easier said than done, I know.

To install, simply unzip all files to the same directory. Open xperience.php in your favorite HTML editor and edit the variables at the top. You can also edit the style sheet (xperience.css) to add your own colors/flavor. I removed the readme for the time being until I can find more time to make a better one. All questions can be posted in the Active Desktop help thread.

View: Online Demo
Download: MMXP v2.2.5200

Here's another tip for you..

Put the </form> tag outside the </table> tag on your Internet block. This will get rid of the extra empty space below the input button.

Madmatt & SPeeDy_B . . thanks for the tuts

3 minutes download . . 5 minutes setup . . and works like a charm.
Now . . the time stamp on last refreshed footer is 1 hour ahead of my local time . . how do i correct this? (tried to edit footer php but don't understand the format :)) )

will the active desktop refresh by itself ? or do we need to manually refresh it?

thanks again.

Posted by zalood
Now . . the time stamp on last refreshed footer is 1 hour ahead of my local time . . how do i correct this? (tried to edit footer php but don't understand the format :)) )

will the active desktop refresh by itself ? or do we need to manually refresh it?

There is a variable in xperience.php called $timeoffset
If you are running it locally, set this value to 0.
If you are running it from a web server whose local time is different than yours, set it to the offset.

i.e. Central time to Eastern time would be a +1 (ET is one hour ahead of CT).

as for part two of your question, yes. MMXP has a variable called $refreshrate (in seconds, 900 = 15 minutes). You can change this variable to be as little or as great as you wish.

I just added the Hotmail login, a) it doesn't seem to be resetting the name and password, can't figure out why, and b) has anyone got it work? I mean without having to retype the password.

How do I undo the Active X reg tweak u guys put up what was the default number cuzz after I did that I can't log onto Betaplace and I just got my freelancer cd today and it keeps telling me I need to have coockies enabled when I never disabled them!

Thanks.

I don't think it has anything to do with the ActiveX tweak . . anyway here is the default : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0
Default "FLAGS" dword value is 0X00000021 (33)

To solve your problem try this in IE:
Tools > Internet Options > click Privacy tab > slide the setting to Medium or Medium High

are you talking about the registry tweak that adds the My Computer security zone so you can enable differnet Active X controls? if you want to undo that, just go to matt's tutorial and revert the values back to the origionals. that shouldn't be affecting your cookies though, because that only deals with local settings (ie. no matter what you put in those settings, browsing the web will allways use your internet settings).

The registry tweak in my tutorial does NOT affect Internet browsing. It only affects files on YOUR computer. The "My Computer" security zone has NOTHING to do with the Internet. Have I made myself clear?

djwhite, still lookin' good. and yes, Hotmail doesn't work like it should because of Passport security. Passport sees that the login attempt is coming from an outside source, so it flags you for your password again. I tried fixing it, but I cannot do so.

Oh well, any idea why the name and password isn't resetting?

Because Passport uses cookies to the extreme.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back