www.kush.ca

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by Kush, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Kush

Kush High On Life!

Hey guys, I just registered this domain, (as kush is my famous nickname everyone that knows me knows kush, and a lot of people don't even know my real name Ahmed lol) Wow your name isnt kush? anyways i wanted to let you guys know and would probably need some help from the gurus here with their own site. so ~bk and omar, speedy, kunal i might annoy you soon, i think i got a good deal

registered it at netfirms.ca, 9.95 per year, and 6.95 a month for hosting,
    * 6000 MB secure storage space
    * 300 GB monthly data transfer
    * 10 e-mail accounts
    * Spam filtering
    * Photo galleries at your domain name
    * Host a website
    * 1 MySQL Database
    * 24/7 technical support

automatic installation of wordpress, which i will be using to power my blog, anyways guys, i hope my site will be as interesting as the ones owned by people on this forum, its ganna be my portal which i will also advertise, because i want to offer a pc repair solution and maybe they pay me using paypal or with cash like 30 bucks a time which i don't think is too bad, tell me what you guys think and if you have any pointers advice etc, thanks a lot im very siked about this

i have to wait though till 8 am because of the cira (some canadian authority for .ca domains, and something about if im a resident of canada, i just click trust in canada and under it i put international student i had no clue what this part was)

2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

:eek:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][FONT=Arial, helvetica, Sans-Serif]In order to view your homepage, please name your main page "index.htm" (using lower case letters). The index.htm file must reside directly within the www directory of your account for it to be viewable. [/FONT][​IMG][​IMG]

Get it setup so I can check it out :cool:

3. Kush

Kush High On Life!

well its up now, finally after figiting around hope for input advice and help from you gurus!

4. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

Well its looks nice so far...

5. Kush

Kush High On Life!

i want to get the api key so i turn on the anti spam plug in but the sign up page assumes u will use a subdomain at wordpress.com anyone know how to let it know i am running it on my own site?

6. kcnychief

Off to a good start, hardest part is keeping frequent with updates!

7. Kush

Kush High On Life!

ok how would i change the blue background behind kush's blog to maybe a picture of me etc, do i have to edit the files to do that?

8. Kush

Kush High On Life!

got it guys, just go to the theme and edit the pics, umm what else should i do? ahh i want to do that gavatar icon like omar and bilal.

9. kcnychief

Just incase you want to change, here is a wordpress theme browser:

http://themes.wordpress.net/

There are tons out there too, incase you want something besides the default.

10. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

That's a nice resource dj. nice.

11. Kush

Kush High On Life!

aight im getin the hang of this

12. Kush

Kush High On Life!

hey omar, could u tell me how to get the comments and latest posts on the side?

13. GEN3RIC

GEN3RIC Moderator Folding Team

You scare me..[​IMG]

14. Kush

Kush High On Life!

15. Kush

Kush High On Life!

ok im getting kinda aggrivated, i put some plugins and activated them arent they suppose to show the comments on the front page, theme switcher, as well as the weather one, but i need help because im sure they made it right and im just not doing something, thanks in advance so please let me know what i need to do

edit: hey omar howd u get it so when we post comments on your blog it slowly and nicely drags up the comment from the boxes to be with the other comments, sorry im being an ass but i just want to learn how to get on my way

16. kcnychief

Same themes, different interface.

Also, and I know that we shouldn't encourage this too much, there is a support forum for wordpress specifically which you may want to look over and perhaps post in. Not saying Omar won't help, but a few people have probably had similar issues as you are having...

http://wordpress.org/support/

If that is in violation of OSNN guidelines, linking to another forum, please forgive me and remove it.

17. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

http://codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page

If you ever have any problems, that has the solution.

You have to get a wordpress.com blog to get an API key for Akismet. Don't know why, but you have to. You can then use the key to use Akismet at kush.ca.

For the plugins, which ones are you using? Some of them need you to add a bit of code to wordpress to make them work. So you can't just activate them and expect them to work.

For the gravatar go to gravatar.com

Kush likes this.
  18. Kush

Kush High On Life!

yeah i got the gravatar one to work i guess, it just has to wait until they approve of my pic, i found out that ill have to edit the sidebar.php to get any change i thought it would automatically put the comments, but i dont know how to do that, and also the posting comments on yours is nice how it scrolls up howd u do that one, can you post a comment on mine to see if the gravatar works? thanks a lot man

19. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

For gravatars to work in the comments you need to get the gravatar plugin.

http://wp-plugins.net

For the "nice" comments the easiest way to do that would be to install K2, which is another theme. So you might have to start all over again.

http://getk2.com/

20. Kush

Kush High On Life!

darn it didnt work, yeah i got it, and installed it, and told it to cache local ones, dont know what else i have to