Windows Vista Beta 2 Public Download Now Available

thats what ive been tryn, buts it ****s up...and the torrent im getting is like 50 kb/s, the normal download was like 300...crap...

Cool ok thanks :) Do you know if the boot options are from XP or Vista? I.e. which one manages them?
Vista manages the bootloader. The unfortunate thing is that you need to use a horribly unintuitive command-line tool called bcdedit to make any changes. No more simple boot.ini file.

So if you want to make any changes like switching the default OS to XP or modifying the timeout, I suggest installing VistaBootPRO once you've got Vista installed. It's a front-end for bcdedit that makes things dead simple. :)

http://www.pro-networks.org/vistabootpro/

cheers NetRyder will have a look @ that, specially as i just stuck vista on a spare partition of main harddrive.

Think I'm gonna get a dual boot going. Might try to be aggravating and set up a usb boot drive...

Vista manages the bootloader. The unfortunate thing is that you need to use a horribly unintuitive command-line tool called bcdedit to make any changes. No more simple boot.ini file.

So if you want to make any changes like switching the default OS to XP or modifying the timeout, I suggest installing VistaBootPRO once you've got Vista installed. It's a front-end for bcdedit that makes things dead simple. :)

http://www.pro-networks.org/vistabootpro/

my issue last time after i deleted the partition, it still wanted to dual boot, has there been a way to remove that and just boot to xp??

Hi guys,

Cheers for the offer Lancer, much appreciated. I have however now downloaded the x86 version, took less than 3 hours on my 7Mb/s connection :)

Anyway, we're all installed and running now :) Seems pretty cool. Got graphics and sound drivers, and also antivirus.

Only things I'm looking for at the moment are MS mouse and keyboard drivers so I can use my lazy volume control and scroll wheel on mouse. Network drivers came installed, which was pretty cool.

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yay, I am running it now :D

Installed it on a spare hard drive I had lying about :p

ray, have you tried just using your keyboard volume control? mine just worked

I keep getting an installation error, 34% the way through.

The error is:

"80070241"

I looked on the Microsoft site for more details but there are no KB articles regarding this error code.

I checked here, theres no posts either.

I have mounted the driver and tried installing from there.

I have also copied the contents onto another partition and tried to install from there. Drive G with the contents trying to install onto Drive E.

I get 80070241 error every time. All the partitions have been formatted low and quick level, deleted and created. No difference.

Its the 32bit version.

Specs:

Pentium 4 3GHz
1GB DDR400
80GB Seagate partition for 34GB (system) and 2x 20GB.
WinXP SP2
(I dont have a DVD burner)

I downloaded directly from the Microsoft site.

Has anyone done an upgrade? I was thinking of installing XP on another partition and upgrading to Vista. Would that work?

Upon further research, I found that it means that the image is corrupt. You are going to have to re-download it.

Upon further research, I found that it means that the image is corrupt. You are going to have to re-download it.

Ahem, ok, I wait a while until I can download again. Im going to go outside and scream.

*goes outside to scream*

:eek:

has anyone heard whether there's been any issues w/ the 64 bit version verses the 32?

has anyone heard whether there's been any issues w/ the 64 bit version verses the 32?
No major problems with the x64 build here.

I did notice that you have a 6800GT though, and you might have a bit of trouble with that like many of us do. There seems to be an odd issue with the nVidia drivers (in both the 32 and 64 bit builds) that leads to stuttering when window animations are enabled. This is a new issue that was not present in builds 5365 and earlier, and we're hoping to see it fixed in the next build.

When you get it installed, let us know if you notice this as well. You can resolve it by simply disabling window animations for now.

Also, anyone know if my beta 1 keys are gonna work?
Doubt it. The keys have changes several times over the course of the CTP program, so you'll need to obtain a new key that works for Beta 2.

cool thanks for the info. I had problems with the early versions with my nforce drivers for my mb. The CD with the drivers wouldn't work due to an inability to read it with xp64 or early vista. Just popped up as a window with no options...nor did the forceware work well...

Last edited:
I don't know if windows update did anything, but my funky MS keyboard and mouse are working completely now, volume controls and everything! :)

I don't know if windows update did anything, but my funky MS keyboard and mouse are working completely now, volume controls and everything! :)
A number of drivers are being delivered over WU, so it's quite possible that it picked up drivers for your keyboard and mouse too. Glad it's working for you now. :)

Couple of questions. I've got both versions downloaded now. I burn the iso onto the dvd for both. I can't get the compy to boot off the disc, and yes bios is rigged to do so. I try windows installing and get the lovely Error Code [80070241] which if I understand correctly is a bad image hash. Then if I mount one of the iso's to Daemon I get it to start up but gives me a d347prt scsi controller issue which from what I've found is Daemon tools popping up. BTW x64 won't even begin to work for me no matter what I do, I don't even get the install screen as an option. When I go to x64's on disc/iso setup.exe, I get E:/setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application. In the mean time I've uninstalled AVG and Daemon and continue getting Error Code [80070241]. Any Ideas or Suggestions?

*edit* After formatting and trying things that way, I've reinstalled xp64 for now. Trying to re-dl both copies of vista (x86 & x64)

Last edited:
I finally got x86 working. Not a bad little set up but still having problems w/ x64. For those who have had problems with the Error Code [80070241], it's just a matter of re-downloading the iso again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back