Windows Vista Beta 2 Public Download Now Available

Well I'm d/ling the x86 version for tonight at least, see how things are tomorrow. Which should I install? Although I have a x64 processor, and I want to see what that's like in a 64-bit OS, I have also noticed a few drivers that only support the x86 variation of Vista. Any recommendations?

Install either one you wish. If you have a x64 compatible CPU, use that one for best utilization of your hardware.

Keep in mind however, this is beta software and shouldn't be used full time on a production machine. Obviously you can, as some people do, just be prepared to run into glitches from time to time :D

Best is to run on a test box, in a dual-boot setup, or through a Virtual Machine like with Microsoft's free Virtual Server

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6DBA2278-B022-4F56-AF96-7B95975DB13B&displaylang=en&hash=T8CTX4G

I'm going to go for dual boot, I've still got my old 80gig seagate drive knocking around somewhere, so I'll use that. Looking forward to this!

sorry that is so bizarre i could have sworn it was heny i think they are doing a switch-a-roo on me... i'm not crazy... and yes i do it to all the penguins.... :)

Ok, now I have XP on my 250GB seagate, and an old 80GB drive in a box somewhere. My plan is to install this onto the old 80GB thing, starting with wiping my old OS off and starting from scratch with Vista.
Is it worth taking out my current drive and putting the old one in, and installing vista on that once it's wiped, or should I install it as a secondary drive and install Vista and use dual-boot? Would this mess anything up, with Vista being on the secondary drive, like start-up etc? I can't think why it would, but I just want to check with some pros :)

Thanks for posting that article, however I want to know if Vista specifically is going to go mental, or should it work just like XP i.e. dual-boot will be fine?

Ray,

I have Windows XP on one drive and Windows Vista on a secondary drive. I have no problems starting up in XP or Vista.

Cool ok thanks :) Do you know if the boot options are from XP or Vista? I.e. which one manages them?

Guys, I am STILL getting this friggin' 13.7MB file when I try to download the x64 version? Can anyone confirm that they are finding the full size file?

well it looks like MS has closed down all the external links to vista, so your sol unless you get it direct from ms.

Ok i should be fully strung out for asking this, but is this version of vista good enough to just use exclusively, if so i'll wipe my xp off my machine tonight.

Did you manage to get the x64 version Lancer? I've got my 2nd HD prep'd and ready, now just need an OS to put on it!

What's the best way to install on a 2nd HD? Through the windows on my 1st HD or boot from the DVD?

boot from the DVD i think would be the best way. Also alas i only have the x86 version, i don't mind burning a copy and posting it to you if you want.

I don't know why MS chopped all the filemirrors.... i got my copy in like 2 1/2 hours as opposed to many people that had to wait all night.

I'll keep on looking for mirrors for you with the x64 in mind... sorry

UPDATE:

Ok this is the direct link MS sent for the x64 version, it also seems to be working for now so do it now.

http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/beta2/en/x64/download.htm

Last edited:
Ok i should be fully strung out for asking this, but is this version of vista good enough to just use exclusively, if so i'll wipe my xp off my machine tonight.

I wouldn't do that. I am having some driver issues and stuff like that, but so far I haven't really had any real PROBLEMS yet.

i don't know what to tell you, use the x86 one, really isn't any difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back