Windows Vista Beta 1 announced!

Looks like it replacing Livemeeting maybe?
Think Office Communicator will be fillign the void that Netmeeting once took , even tho it is not gone.

All this stuff is next gen tho so therete will be some serious overlaps :)

Office Communicator doesn't look like something that'll be included with the OS (although I'd love to replace MSN Messenger with it!). From the C9 video interview, I gathered that it's strictly meant for the enterprise space. We might see some of the features from Communicator trickling down into MSNM in the future though.

Running Asus P5DG2 Deluxe MB. After installing Vista the supplement pack automatically installed the drivers for the Marvell Yukon ethernet. I was connected right away to the internet with my LAN connection- Cool. Weird thing I've noticed is on my wireless network connection icon in network connections that there is no red X over the icon and it says its disabled. When I enable the connection the red X appears over the icon. Can anyone else reproduce this bug.

.. By the way this is what I have working so far

CCleaner
Bookmark Converter
RegSupreme Pro 1.1
Nero StartSmart 6.6.0.15
Firefox
Forceware 75.03 LDDM

Bad installs with errors.
Daemon Tools
Winamp
no luck with any audio.

Also I'd get reboots when Vista would keep trying to install drivers automatically from most of the sound drivers and daemon tools driver I've tried so far.

Hehe, I took the plunge. XP is now gone, and Vista is the only OS running on my machine. Just finished reinstalling it. :)

Napalm, I can't reproduce the wireless network icon bug you're noticing, or I would have reported it on Connect. Using an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG MiniPCI adapter here.

NetRyder said:
Hehe, I took the plunge. XP is now gone, and Vista is the only OS running on my machine. Just finished reinstalling it. :)

Napalm, I can't reproduce the wireless network icon bug you're noticing, or I would have reported it on Connect. Using an Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG MiniPCI adapter here.

No parachute! :eek: Scary. The only thing you might run into NR that I had to do was boot back into XP Windows Explorer to make some edits in Vista once in a while to uninstall stuff when I kept getting rebooted from Vista. Thanks for checking on the icon bug. Must be just my eyes crossing from messing with Vista too long :)

I have a disk image of the XP partition if something goes terribly wrong. Wouldn't get rid of it without making backups first. :)

NetRyder said:
I have a disk image of the XP partition if something goes terribly wrong. Wouldn't get rid of it without making backups first. :)

Same here. Great security blanket having those disk images. Saves a ton of time. Have you got your sound working yet NR?

napalmnthemorning said:
Same here. Great security blanket having those disk images. Saves a ton of time. Have you got your sound working yet NR?
Yeah, sound worked out of the box. The laptop has an onboard AC97 chip...it was recognized and drivers were installed during setup. Drivers for my ethernet controller (Broadcom 4400) and wireless card (Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG) were detected and installed through the supplemental driver installer after setup was complete.

The only thing that doesn't have drivers installed now is the internal Conexant 56k modem, which I have no use for anyway. The XP drivers might work...I just don't see the point in trying them.

napalmnthemorning said:
Wow! Very nice.
Yeah, I was pretty impressed. With the new LH drivers and the ones from the supplemental driver pack put together, I didn't have to download drivers for any of my hardware (except that 56k modem I mentioned which I'm not planning to bother about)

NetRyder said:
Yeah, I was pretty impressed. With the new LH drivers and the ones from the supplemental driver pack put together, I didn't have to download drivers for any of my hardware (except that 56k modem I mentioned which I'm not planning to bother about)

Hey NetRyder, looks like you need to put a quarter on the table since you called it "LH" :)

can someone tell me if that "superfetch" value is recognized or was the entire hack a practical joke

Last edited:
perris said:
can someone tell me if thatn "superfetch" value is recognized or was the entire hack a practical joke
It's not recognized by XP. Any speed differences people are noticing after adding the reg key is due to some other factor, or it's a placebo effect. :)
It is recognized by Vista though. It should be in Beta 1, but I'll make sure and let you know when I get back home this evening.

NetRyder said:
It's not recognized by XP. Any speed differences people are noticing after adding the reg key is due to some other factor, or it's a placebo effect. :)
It is recognized by Vista though. It should be in Beta 1, but I'll make sure and let you know when I get back home this evening.
ya, I know it wasn't reconized in xp, I'm wondering if anyone sees it in vista

perris said:
ya, I know it wasn't reconized in xp, I'm wondering if anyone sees it in vista
Yes, there's a new DWORD value called EnableSuperfetch in the same regkey as EnablePrefetcher. In this case, the kernel recognizes it as well:

Code:
\KernelObjects\SuperfetchTracesReady
EnableSuperfetch
\KernelObjects\SuperfetchParametersChanged

NetRyder said:
Yes, there's a new DWORD value called EnableSuperfetch in the same regkey as EnablePrefetcher. In this case, the kernel recognizes it as well:

Code:
\KernelObjects\SuperfetchTracesReady
EnableSuperfetch
\KernelObjects\SuperfetchParametersChanged
thanx net, will use your data

Hi all, i have been frequenting this Website since the "Xp-Erience" days and have now registered. Great website!

I have Vista Running great, on my Advent Laptop [Mobile 1.5ghz Pentium, 512Mb Ram]. The only problem being i cannot get my resolution up to 1280 x 854 pixels (Widescreen) using the LDDM Drivers from nVidia. It only allows 1024 x 768, which makes things look a bit strange as it's not the native resolution... Using the latest nVidia Drivers works fine, but without DWM.

I have a GeForce FX Go 5200 with 64Mb of Memory. I'm not too concerned but it would be the icing on the cake so to speak, if i could get my native resolution AND DWM to work.

My question; Is there a way to make a custom resolution, using nVidia's LDDM drivers? If not, i shall wait for the next beta driver and just bite the bullet. Cheers for your time people!

loaderbull said:
My question; Is there a way to make a custom resolution, using nVidia's LDDM drivers? If not, i shall wait for the next beta driver and just bite the bullet. Cheers for your time people!

Well i solved it. I opened the nVidia Windows Vista 75.03 Drivers, then opened the "nv_LH.inf" file.

I added 1280x854 to it:
HKR,, NV_Modes, %REG_SZ_APPEND%, "{338}SHV 800x600 1024x768 1280x960 1280x1024 1600x1200 1920x1154 1920x1200=8032;"

Also added 1280x854x8,16,32
To line starting HKR,, NV_Modes, %REG_MULTI_SZ%

Now i have DWM effects and a native screen resolution! I'm happy, hope this helps anyone who couldn't get a resolution they wanted, sorry if it was posted before.

Thanks for sharing your fix with us, loaderbull, and glad you decided to register. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back