Windows Vista Beta 1 announced!

I wish they would release some nforce 4 drivers that worked with Vista 64.

That and my Audigy 2 ZS works on and off. WMP 10 seems to be corrupted along with AIM. Neither run any more even after a restart.

yea..i think im having the same problems as luna..can't get on the internet with vista..but the nforce4 sound drivers work, only the ethernet drivers giving problems

..actually i just read your post again...i didn't know there was a 32bit vista and a 64bit...and for those who got internet with vista and a nforce4 board..what drivers did you use?

Last edited:
Finally got ahold of a decent download speed :D
Damn work is flooded with techs trying to get the ISO :p

I'm gonna install it on my main desktop, on the separate 40 gb HD I have (gonna wipe linux off it, since I have linux on my lappy ;)).

Question: Are there no drivers available at all and I'm gonna have to run it with whatever it finds, or will I be able to install drivers from XP?

I have a usb wireless card, which is what would worry me the most since I wanna go on the 'net while I play around (to test stuff and whatnot).

I was able to get Audigy 2 ZS 64bit, Adobe CS2, Gaim, Firefox, ATI 64bit Drivers working fine.

My chipset, IDE/RAID drivers would not work though. Vista has built in drivers for Marvell ethernet ports so that was not an issue.

Screenshots here
http://www.luna-fx.net/drupal/?q=node/7

Been using it since yesterday morning. Had three blue screens in a span of a couple of hours, but it's settled down since then. They all seemed to be driver-related. :)

Other than that, it's working very well. Feels quite a bit faster than XP, although I don't get to play with the fancy Glass effects and animations because of the puny gfx card in my laptop. Ah well, Beta 2 will be running on a shiny new Athlon64 4000+ desktop w/ a PCI-Express GeForce 6800.

Been playing around quite a bit with User Account Protection. It's not quite close to being done yet, but the foundation is there. Good stuff. I really like what I'm seeing so far. Lots of progress since WinHEC.

By the way, does anyone else find the new progress bars with the glow effect dead sexy? :D

kcnychief said:
What is going to happen to the low-end workstations that Dell sells with the "Home" versions of the OS, as well as only having 256MB. They are going to become obsolete.

in my eyes those cheap 300$ Dells were obsolete Pieces of S_ _ _ as soon as they were purcahsed.

NetRyder said:
Been playing around quite a bit with User Account Protection. It's not quite close to being done yet, but the foundation is there. Good stuff. I really like what I'm seeing so far. Lots of progress since WinHEC.

I was thinking about the UAP, overall, a great concept, but here's my question. Since Beta 1 is deemed "for developers", who is to say that spyware and virii writers can't figure out ways to let their malicious code run amuck under lowered user priveleges. Granted, you can't have exclusive rights to the registry and/or system files logged in as a Standard User, but can you imagine if they figure out ways to run as user SYSTEM? :eek:

celticfan11 said:
in my eyes those cheap 300$ Dells were obsolete Pieces of S_ _ _ as soon as they were purcahsed.

Yeah, I concur, however there is a large market share of users who utilize these machines as well e-machines and other comparable brands.

EDIT: I also read somewhere that it will be out in Late November, but here it solidifies Q4 of 2006...

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/07/28/HNvistaslips_1.html

Last edited:
i have everything working fine on my machine, but not without problems.

Here are my machine specs:

AMD XP2500+
Corsair 1.0GB PC3200
WD 120GB SATA
LiteOn DVD+/-RW
Samsung CD-RW
Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
Audigy Gamer Sound Card
Floppy Drive
Zip 100mb Drive

The problems I am having are that the machine locks up during boot. It will get to the loading loading screen and hang up. Sometimes I have to hit the reset button 4-5 times to get it to boot into windows. Another problem I had is that no matter what I tried my hard drive was set to F: instead of C: reguardless of how many devices were set up on the machine. And the language bar is rather annoying and even set to not load up will always randomly show up on random places on my desktop. Other than those issues all is well.

kcnychief said:
I was thinking about the UAP, overall, a great concept, but here's my question. Since Beta 1 is deemed "for developers", who is to say that spyware and virii writers can't figure out ways to let their malicious code run amuck under lowered user priveleges. Granted, you can't have exclusive rights to the registry and/or system files logged in as a Standard User, but can you imagine if they figure out ways to run as user SYSTEM? :eek:
Well, we won't really know how effective it is until Vista goes RTM. I'm quite optimistic about it though. :)

NetRyder said:
Well, we won't really know how effective it is until Vista goes RTM. I'm quite optimistic about it though. :)

As am I, believe me. I would be curious though to hear how MS plans to stop hackers and virus writers from exploiting it, besides what the technology itself actually does.

Reason why I am happy about this because unfortunately, computing is just not safe and/or easy for people who are inexperienced. While I may benefit from this financially, it is a shame. With people who don't know what's going on being able to use their computer with less problems, that's just overall better.

Well knowing that Application and Driver support will get better in time I also like Beta 1. I must say the overall design was confusing at first but easy to get used to.

The GUI is a bit slow for me which is why I don't use it over XP. It's strange, the GUI seems to speed up a lot while under a heavy CPU load (i.e. Video Encoding), but when my CPU is idle, the windows are a tad choppy.

I'm still able to surf the web, watch divx movies, listen to music, and run a few applications however.

I liked it overall, it's really good. I am not using it full time at this point because of the lacking Networking Support. As I mentioned earlier, I was not able to join the domain with Vista Beta 1, but I can't be surprised. Since I run a Domain at work and home, that limits what I can and can't do. I do, however, have it installed to dual-boot on my laptop, my work computer, and a dev computer at home. It's a real nice OS, I can't wait for it to hit RTM.

I haven't found any bugs, but I haven't used it heavily. The only beef I have is drivers, but that can't be expected to be 100%.

Anyone have any thoughts as to if they will integrate MS Anti-Spyware? I thought I read somewhere it is going to be pushed as a critical update once it leaves the Beta itself.

Has anyone had any problem dual-booting XP and Vista on 2 seperate drives? I can not boot XP for anything... It always gives me an error.

I am ashamed to say that I haven't installed it yet, but I have completed my new case setup (or for now, little/no cable management atm) and have an 80gig drive from work.

Will be installing the 32bit version - may well seeem fast but what is the ram usage like?

Electronic Punk said:
I am ashamed to say that I haven't installed it yet, but I have completed my new case setup (or for now, little/no cable management atm) and have an 80gig drive from work.

Will be installing the 32bit version - may well seeem fast but what is the ram usage like?
*Slaps Punk* You should have started submitting bugs by now! :p

RAM usage looks comparable to XP at this stage from what I can see. Don't know if Aero Glass makes a difference in system memory usage though. Can't test since my gfx card doesn't support it anyway.

My 6GB Vista partition only has 1.8GB free now. :eek: I'm going to test my most frequently used apps with it this week. If all goes well, I'm nuking my XP partition (it's been backed up, of course), making Vista my primary OS and giving it a 20 gig partition. Bah!

DJ-phYre said:
Has anyone had any problem dual-booting XP and Vista on 2 seperate drives? I can not boot XP for anything... It always gives me an error.

I dual boot from the same drive, no problems. Are you getting the boot menu?

everytime i try to install it i get errors when i hit the next button with the cd key info. It errors out even if i have no cd key in the blank and just next. Install crashes every time. will work on it later on.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back