Windows Vista Beta 1 announced!

NetRyder said:
I enjoyed the video too. Watched it last night after I got back from work. Can't wait for the PDC. Even have a countdown on my blog since the last few weeks. 47 days to go! :)

I'm going to install Vista Beta 1 on my main machine (laptop) as well, which is why I need to first take a disk image backup this weekend. Going to try to spend as much time as I can within Vista. It's the best way to beta test and submit feedback. If I had a separate test machine, I don't know how much I'd end up using it, to be honest.

Nice for you on the PDC. I installed it last night on a test machine, but as you said, I won't use it as much as I would like to. Have you thought about dual-booting? I don't have much of a choice, because if there is something critical I need to be able to do or access, I can't afford the down-time.

One thing I forgot to mention about when we found out about Vista, we were all sat in the same room - quite a few big tech sites - and there was a domain registration fury with vista in all the addresses, I found it really amusing but did get one myself...

So I present http://www.hardcorevista.com

kcnychief said:
Nice for you on the PDC. I installed it last night on a test machine, but as you said, I won't use it as much as I would like to. Have you thought about dual-booting? I don't have much of a choice, because if there is something critical I need to be able to do or access, I can't afford the down-time.
Yeah, I meant I would be dual-booting with XP on the same machine. I'm almost sure I'll still need XP for quite a bit of stuff. Can't get rid of it just yet. :)

Electronic Punk said:
One thing I forgot to mention about when we found out about Vista, we were all sat in the same room - quite a few big tech sites - and there was a domain registration fury with vista in all the addresses, I found it really amusing but did get one myself...

So I present http://www.hardcorevista.com
Hahaha :D

I also reckon alter-vista would have been good somehow :p

Electronic Punk said:
I am pretty sure it will leak :eek:

it seems the dam has broke....:s anyway I read a interesting article over at securitypipeline talking about to "Treat Windows Vista As A Massive Security Patch" good reading:)
link to article

Last edited:
Electronic Punk said:
Aha! So it does have it.
This is enabled by default.
EVERY SINGLE WEBPAGE YOU VISIT will be checked against a manually created database of known phishing websites, I asked the presenter if this would have people screaming about privacy implications, but he assured me that even tho this could make it possible, peoples browsing habits would not be monitored and if someone was concerned then the feature could be disabled.

I think it could be a good feature, but with a tough startup, I also believe it will get a very hard time from security analysts but you have I reckon it is a worthwhile feature to stop all those damn paypal clones.
Here it is, in action: http://www.osnn.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79027 :)

tdinc said:
it seems the dam has broke....:s anyway I read a interesting article over at securitypipeline talking about to "Treat Windows Vista As A Massive Security Patch" good reading:)
link to article

Good read indeed, however it only elevates my questioning to what the minimum hardware requirements will be for Windows Vista. I believe I saw somewhere that it will be 512MB or even 1GB. Out of this article I was alarmed when I saw...

"With the massive reduction in hardware cost making Vista deployment vastly attractive, there is a strong argument and critical need to deploy Vista early and not wait for the typical SP1 delay."

YIKES! :eek:

What is going to happen to the low-end workstations that Dell sells with the "Home" versions of the OS, as well as only having 256MB. They are going to become obsolete.

Can't wait till I get off work so I can install it.

Though I'm not to thrilled about having to wipe my current system clean to do so. I wonder if it dual boots.

Luna said:
Can't wait till I get off work so I can install it.

Though I'm not to thrilled about having to wipe my current system clean to do so. I wonder if it dual boots.

it does dual boot, I have done that on 3 machines already. I recommend creating a seperate partition first though, using Partition Magic or similar. Boot into WinXP, insert the DVD, choose the "custom" install and point to your new partition. After that, you just get the boot menu. Works like a champ!

Might not be a bad idea to backup your system first though, i don't trust it 100% yet...

Has anyone tried a Vista installation using VMWare yet?

I've used VMWare for quite a while now when I need seperate OS Installations. I was just wondering how Vista ran under it.

kcnychief said:
it does dual boot, I have done that on 3 machines already. I recommend creating a seperate partition first though, using Partition Magic or similar. Boot into WinXP, insert the DVD, choose the "custom" install and point to your new partition. After that, you just get the boot menu. Works like a champ!

Might not be a bad idea to backup your system first though, i don't trust it 100% yet...

I'll give that a try.

Right now I have a single partition but I believe Partition Magic can resize and create new ones. I don't have anything important on here but I just installed Xp64 and I don't want to set that up again just to test out Vista.

One thing I remember about the alphas and VMWare, you had to obviously create the virtual disk but then start the windowsxp install and create the partition -- longhorn was not happy looking at an empty partition.

If the Vista disk image is burnt to DVD, is bootable.

I was just reading on the Windows Vista website, that the deployment of Vista on a machine with no Operating system is much easier. I guess I'll have to give it a try with VMWare. Unfortunately I'm stuck in Sweden for the next fortnight and then I'm going on holiday for a few weeks.

Damn. It looks like it's going to be September before I can have a play :dead:

I am sure they mean't using a PXE-enabled workstation.

Looks like you're right. However, just did a google search and came with this solution, just in case anyone else uses VMWare/Virtual PC

When you get to the “Install Windows” screen, press Shift+F10 to open a command prompt. Type DISKPART at the prompt and use the following commands.

select disk 0
create partition primary
select volume 1
format fs=ntfs label="vista"

After this I typed EXIT to leave the utility, reset the VPC, and started the installation again.

Quite a bummer, I tried to install this on my machine at work, no problems there. However I was NOT able to get the full functionality of the Domain. I joined, did not receive any errors, and when the computer rebooted it me prompted me "CRTL + ALT + DEL" to logon, but the screen wasn't giving me the option to login to this machine or the domain. Bummer indeed....

Anyone else think it was odd that within the Beta the Administrator Password is blank by default, and it doesn't prompt you to change it?

Luna said:
I'll give that a try.

Right now I have a single partition but I believe Partition Magic can resize and create new ones. I don't have anything important on here but I just installed Xp64 and I don't want to set that up again just to test out Vista.

Yes, PM can resize current partitions into new ones, that is what I have done. You should not have any problems.

EDIT: Interesting, new tab on RDC connections called Security :)

Attachments

• rdc.PNG
    rdc.PNG
    56.1 KB · Views: 91
kcnychief said:
Anyone else think it was odd that within the Beta the Administrator Password is blank by default, and it doesn't prompt you to change it?
Not a good design decision if you ask me. I'm going to report this on Connect once I have the Vista build installed and running.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back