Windows Vista Beta 1 announced!

perris said:
/showers with teh reputation

/grabs the soap :p

Good info in this thread all around. Wish I had a machine to load Vista on... :ermm:

Cheers for the rep's :)

Everything does seem to load up quicker on Vista, for example Word 2003, Excel 2003 all take very little time, about 1 second compared to 3-4 seconds in XP Pro. Would this be the SuperFetch doing it's thing?

Haven't got much on Vista yet;
Office 2003
Ad-Aware 1.06 Se

Very stable though, not one crash. Vista Found every piece of Hardware on my Laptop apart from my 56k Modem! The Intel Pro Wireless Adapter installed after the 1st boot from the Driver package supplied on the Vista Disc.

All in all very happy with how things are going so far :nervous:

As I previously mentioned, all my machines are on a domain. i'm going to load VISTA on Virtual PC later, anyone done that yet?

loaderbull said:
Vista Found every piece of Hardware on my Laptop apart from my 56k Modem! The Intel Pro Wireless Adapter installed after the 1st boot from the Driver package supplied on the Vista Disc.
Haha, did you see my post earlier in the thread? The 56k modem driver is the only thing not installed on my machine too. We probably have the same laptop. :p

NetRyder said:
Haha, did you see my post earlier in the thread? The 56k modem driver is the only thing not installed on my machine too. We probably have the same laptop. :p

I have the Advent 7041. I was a bit apprehensive of trying Vista on it but running really well so far...

I noticed further back your post regarding the Modem, i would of thought such a common piece of hardware would be recognised and appropriate drivers installed? I'm not in the slightest bit bothered though as i have broadband :)

How are you finding Vista runs for you?

Oh ok...not the same machine then. I'm running it on a Dell Inspiron 5100.
Vista actually runs better than I expected it to. No fancy Glass effects and animations, but I wasn't expecting that from a Radeon 7500 anyway. :D

mmhmm, automation *drool*

With Vista, the new client version of Windows due next year, Microsoft is addressing what's become a sad truth for most people: PCs run more slowly over time.
Vista will automatically de-fragment hard disks, make better use of memory to more quickly load programs, and include a new performance control panel that will identify performance bottlenecks, according to the company.

Full article

Oohh, also in this article, SUPERFETCH!!

A Vista-based PC might even be faster a few weeks after it's installed, thanks to one new feature called SuperFetch. SuperFetch basically studies the programs that an individual user frequently runs and loads them into memory automatically.

The SuperFetch feature is in Beta 1, but Microsoft plans to improve on it by the next test version.

Man, I just finished reading, I thought it was a great article!

Last edited:
My install (MSDN DVD ISO) went well. Everything had native driver support except my Audigy 2 ZS, which I still have yet to get to work. In the interim, I've enabled the onboard audio (I feel so dirty) which Vista applied the "Microsoft UAA function for high definition audio" driver for. I got sound out of my center speaker. That's it. I'm IM'ng via Yahoo IM and surfing without incident so far. No blue screens, no demonic posession, no compulsion to sacrifice goats on teh freeway. Not bad for the first Beta. Still, it would be nice to have something other than sh|te audio.

- Wr@th

These desktop icons seem huge. Set at 32 by default, same as XP. I'm using 1024x768 and reduced size to 25 with no change in size.

I installed avast home antivirus a couple times and each time my internet connection would get cut off. I stopped the web shield provider and was then able to connect to the internet. I've read where most people who install avast with Vista are having no problems in most cases.

napalmnthemorning said:
These desktop icons seem huge. Set at 32 by default, same as XP. I'm using 1024x768 and reduced size to 25 with no change in size.
UI issue. Expect that to change with Beta 2.

napalmnthemorning said:
I installed avast home antivirus a couple times and each time my internet connection would get cut off. I stopped the web shield provider and was then able to connect to the internet. I've read where most people who install avast with Vista are having no problems in most cases.
Yeah, I've been using Avast with the WebShield disabled too. Seems to be one of the very few AV's that currently works without issues on Vista 5112.

NetRyder said:
UI issue. Expect that to change with Beta 2.

Yeah, I've been using Avast with the WebShield disabled too. Seems to be one of the very few AV's that currently works without issues on Vista 5112.

Cool! I keep feeling my head tilting at times. "The attack of giant icons"
Got to love Avast. Great AV. I'm glad I got it working with 5112.

Wrathchild said:
Anyone have an Audigy2 ZS working in Vista?

W

I haven't had any luck with my SB Audigy. I tried the Kx driver as well as the nForce beta. Since I'm running the basic Audigy I'll just have to wait for beta 2.

Allot of ranting and raving about the sidebar coming back for beta 2. I keep checking beta 1 for hidden messages and pictures from Bill, you know like a Longhorn cow pic or a hidden sidebar deep within the dark and mysterious system32 file.

Here's a nice guide that allows you to add custom locations to the indexer which, as anyone running 5112 has noticed, is crippled and indexes only files under %systemdrive%\Users\

I assume it was disabled in this build for a reason, so don't go in and add your whole drive. Start with a few extra folders and if the performance hit isn't noticeable, go nuts. :D

http://www.aeroxp.net/board//index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=305

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back