Will This Work...

ElementalDragon said:
from what they're SAYING, the 7900GT will retail for around $299, and perform slightly better than the 7800GTX.... possibly on-par with the 7800GTX 512MB.

If it has the same number of pipes and shader units and almost the same clocks, with a more efficient architechture it should be teh same or better than the 256mb version.

With the clocks its going to drop with, it is probably not going to outperform the 512mb version.

As for the whole 4 video cards thing, Madmatt..... it's not 4 video cards. from what i've read.... i think it's gonna be 2 dual-core video cards (like the 7800GT-Dual's that i think Gigabyte makes? not sure who makes them, but a dual core video card has been around since i think the 6800GT-ish range, but were not SLI-Capable). from what i've read, that's what NVidia is going to be pushing more towards for high-end PC's.

Dell's renegade sample was 4 cards in a dual-sli config. The shipping model may be slightly different but I think it is going to be a customer dual-sli config on a custom board.

edit: oh, and Bman, from what i've read, the 1900XTX, for the time being, only really shows it's true colors in 3DMark's shader tests. other than that it's not much better than a 7800GTX/7800GTX 512MB.

The 7800gtx is much slower than the 7800gtx 512mb :cool:

The 1900xtx is on par or faster in most anything that is shader intensive. There are few opportunities for it to really stretch its legs because unfortunately few things take advantage of the shader units present.

It has more shader processing power than anything else out there but keep in mind its marchitecture. Efficiency is key since it has 16 pixel processing "pipes". The x1800xt is often times close in performance to the 1900xtx but when the LOD and res go up, the difference is stark.

Great information man, I guess I'm going to have a hard time picking a videocard with I get to choose between the two cards.

Well, that's where the reviews come in... I'm sure that after the cards have gotten into the hands of some review sites, the sorta info that could help you decide will be made available... There'll still be time, before such decision would be there to be made :)

Bman™ said:
Great information man, I guess I'm going to have a hard time picking a videocard with I get to choose between the two cards.

The good news is, no matter which you get, its going to be a big step up from what you have right now (probably) in terms of speed.

That's what really counts. The higher the res you can run it at with greater LOD, the better your experience.

If you can run F.E.A.R maxed out, you're set :cool:

What monitor are you getting again?

I'm getting probably "20 dell 2005s

You know what I have right now....lol

Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64MB

Bman™ said:

I have an Intel GMA 900 :cool:

Too lazy to read through the whole thread, but sweet specs. How much are you paying for the beast?

Bman™ said:

Almost anything would be an upgrade for you at this point. Even the Radeon 9600 that's in my box, and getting on in years would be an upgrade :eek: You almost can't go wrong at this point...

Yeah, you should be happy either way :)

I knew that, but if I'm going to have enough money for this...I might as well get the best of the best you know.....so far the system is around $3900 I think, thats prices with out tax, from retail, which I most likley wont be paying for.

Meh $3900 canadian is like a Happy meal here.

:smoker:

Well, the best of the best, is what we wouldn't know until some reviews get done. I did some checking on some current info wrt these cards, and the 7900 GT, leaves some questions from a perf standpoint:

http://www.3dchipset.com/

Daily Tech is proclaiming that they have some solid 7900GTX details. While the core speed increase is a given considering the die shrink to 90nm, the memory it will use will be very interesting. Considering the 7800GTX 512Mb uses the fastest and scarcely available memory, the 7900GTX is supposed to use a little slower speed memory. So if you drop the memory speed and increase the core speed how much will this card be over the 7800GTX 512Mb card? Not sure, but the 7900GTX is looking more like what the GeForce 3 Ti500 was to the original GeForce 3.

We've come across information that confirms NVIDIA's release of its GeForce 7900 GTX, the next flagship for the company. According to NVIDIA documents, the new cards won't be announced until sometime in the beginning of March (the 8th or 9th). The new GPU will be manufactured on 90nm and set to operate at 655MHz. Although this number is still unconfirmed, our sources indicate that this is a final number.

The INQ is suggesting a nice boost in perf, however I would be reticent at taking the INQ's word at face value, until some others start saying the same thing. Faster GPU, but slower gfx memory, hmm...

Sazar: didn't say the 7900GT would outperform the 7800GTX 512MB.... i said "maybe on par with", as in close to the 512MB's performance.

matt....didn't really check out your upgrade thread, is that your new system in your sig?

The X1900 XTX beat the 7800 GTX in the following:

3DMARK05 (11073 v. 9566)
3DMARK06 (4955 v. 4660)
3DMARK06 SM 2.0 (2288 v. 2168)
3DMARK06, HDR/SM 3.0 (2541 v. 2202)
HQV SCORE (93 v. 56)

Doom 3 tested at High Quality, 1600x1200, 4x AA

B, no. I haven't ordered the rest of it yet. My sig is what I am currently using (minus the hard drives because those haven't arrived yet).

ElementalDragon said:
Sazar: didn't say the 7900GT would outperform the 7800GTX 512MB.... i said "maybe on par with", as in close to the 512MB's performance.

If you mean Teh Inq when you say "they" than no, they didn't say that.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29931

Like I said, the 512mb version has far superior performance to the 256mb version.

Again, this is Teh Inq and I am basing my info off of leaked specs on the 7900gt :cool:

I could be well off, depending on what the leaked specs entail.

Actually, the INQ, in another article does allude to the 7900 GTX being 8-10% faster then the 7800, in this article here:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29928

ASIAN partners are disappointed with the upcoming Geforce 7900 GTX cards. Most of the companies already have the samples and tested them but they are not happy with the performance. First tests indicate that in the best case scenario, Geforce 7900 GTX cards are eight to ten per cent faster than the last and rarely available Geforce 7800 GTX 512 card.

This means that 7900 GTX might get close to ATI's X1900 XTX card but it will lose in many of the benchmarks. We suspect that at 4X FSAA and eight or sixteen times Anisotropic filtering ATI X1900 XTX can still keep its crown, but we still have to see this. Asian partners placed limited quantities order for G71, 7900 GTX chips and they ordered less chips then they usually do, according to sources.

And then there is the article which Sazar sites, which is equally present on their site as well... The only possible resolution (and I did look more closely at this article, after having read Saz's), while trying to see a certain degree of consistency in their reports is the difference between the 7900 GTX vs the 7900 GT. These are all estimates however, for which benchies would help clarify. I don't put 100% faith in the words of the INQ, for various reasons (and they do seem a tad more tabloid-esque then some sites); but what they're writting isn't necessarily impossible either...

I know i know....I'll get both of those cards! yea that will work lol

lol. It's a tough debate. You have those of us who are partial to ATI and those who are partial to NVIDIA. Both are great cards, go with the one that you like.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back