The election so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
rotjong said:
Hopefully in 2008 the Democrats put up a stronger and worthy candidate. I am hoping that McCain will run again in 2008 as a Republican or Independent.

rotjong

or nader!

vern said:
It's funny that people thank that if Kerry won, the world will be a better place to live, the babies will smile, the sun will be bright, the birds will sing, and everything will be alright. tsk tsk.

That's a good way to put it. It's true though. It's also funny how some people foreign to the United States (many who get their news from state-run media outlets!) feel they have a better grasp on American politics and get better news than Americans do.

I mean, you never see Americans asked their opinion of how Gerhard Schroeder is doing his job. I have no idea outside nations have this uncontrolled fetish to dabble in our election system.

Well as many of you all know through other discussions that I supported President Bush's re-election. There were a few points on Kerry's side that I did like but what good does good points make (if he would even follow through with them) if he is not a strong enough leader to effect those points.

I also am glad to see the higher voter turnout, it also seemed, to me anyway, that ppl were much more passionate in this election than ever before, regurdless of which canidate they were voting. I don't remember an election where ppl stood in line for upto 8 hours just to cast thier vote.

I also think that if there was a solid 3rd candidate (that homeless looking man Nader don't count) I think we would have seen a very different outcome.

God Bless the United States of America!

Indeed voter turnout was astounding and awesome to see. Bush received more votes than any president ever. The previous leader being Reagan. I'm unsure of the vote count but Kerry likely surprassed the previous record, as well. Just doing the math it's amazing. Over 113 million people voted. I'm happy to see my generation stepping up to vote and have an impact on the world we now are partly responsible for.

The people spoke. The Electoral College spoke. Both agreed. Bush won. In 4 years we'll start this irritating process all over again.

rotjong

Sazar said:
yup... looks like 4 more years of the "same"

kerry needs a miracle a la the bo'sox to win now... ohio might take up to 10 days to get all provisional votes counted...

The fat lady has sung. It was clear when I went to bed early this morning. I can't say I'm happy with the status quo, and tbh I seriously doubt this nation won't remain just as divided on the issues after the election, as it was before... Perhaps also, the peeps that don't like how things have been run the past 3 years, also need to come to a realization of just what it is they do want, and find representatives that can bring it a voice. Perhaps some ideological foment (ala 1760s to 1790s) could be a good thing, if it could help many American's define just what it is they are looking for, if they don't realize it already...

And yet with some declaring a "clear mandate", and if this results in certain bald action...many had commented on the ideological split in this nation, and even the number of people who seem angry with the way things have been.

One thing I must say, question of Karl Rove being an amoralist aside, he does know his trade and no doubt was working the numbers and burning the mid-night oil to get exactly what he wanted.

btw... it looks like mc Cain is not gonna be president :(

Well, I could have told you that, before we went into the election ;) With our 2 party system, and the way it is setup, it's quite unlikely, that we'd see a president that isn't a dem or a repub.

One point I must make is the whole "Family" thing see even if alot of people say oh gay's should be allowed to get married" There is not one person that hopes their child turns out to be a homo when they are born, That was a huge vote mover with the "family's". Then there was the fact like I had said somewhere Kerry looks like a fairy.. he did not have what it takes , what makes me laugh is how now that its over we see people saying this lolol

I am just glad its over and now lets see what happens , you all seem to think its the end of the world, I am sure its nothing like your thinking and just like the election your gonna wake up tommorow surprised , sure crap will happen hey it was happening all the time ever since you all got a country, look back over your history then tell me when it was all that great and there was no war , no coruption, and what not , you cant nothing has changed not in the slightest ........

peace and CONGRATS to all the people that won.

better luck next time to all the others

oh and The thanks to whatever states ??

Yeah 28 of them you can thank!!

Not 2

lolol

Voter turnout? Passionate? I just went to get my "I Voted" sticker. :D

I don't know who said it's the end of the world. Bush will have challenges though, and for instance on Iraq, I bet everyone's opinion is now, just what it was before. Main reason, we all think with our own minds, not the mass mind :D Even there exit polls showed only about 52% agreeing with Bush on Iraq, 56% giving him negative marks on the economy, though a wider margin of those polled gave him favorable answer on the war on terror in general.

Ideologically, the nation is just as split as it was...and no winning of an election (neither candidate) is going to in and of itself heal the schism in this nation, or just how polarized it has become on both sides. Perhaps a Reagan or a Kennedy would fair a better chance of bringing all Americans together, but no offence, Bush has shown himself to be neither.

And yet on another level, I see America as a nation in a sorta inner transition if you will. I s'pose, there are some things, that as a nation we will just have to go through. But I doubt the next 4 years will turn out an easy presidency compared to the last 4 years.

Dont see where the last 4 where easy sorry , I think is was rough and it will get rougher yet , no one ever said it was going to be easy thats for sure.

Kermit_The_Frog said:
Dont see where the last 4 where easy sorry , I think is was rough and it will get rougher yet , no one ever said it was going to be easy thats for sure.

I didn't say the last 4 years were easy, but rather

But I doubt the next 4 years will turn out an easy presidency compared to the last 4 years.

Ergo, relative to the last 4 years, I see challenges more then a little bit greater then what has been seen thus far. I've hinted to this/commented on previous posts, but not sure how clear I would want to be on my sense/impression of things.

I find it funny that here we have been debating the issues for months and the election was really decided based upon religion.

*offtopic*- Oh and nice that "Imagine" just started playing as I type this. :) I would recommend the new Perfect Circle cd for sure.

The Beatles clearly overlooked the greed, bitterness, and violence bound up in the hearts of men. It would be nice if we all got along, though.

Unwonted said:
The Beatles clearly overlooked the greed, bitterness, and violence bound up in the hearts of men. It would be nice if we all got along, though.
They saw it .. thats why they wrote a song about getting rid of it.

Xie said:
They saw it .. thats why they wrote a song about getting rid of it.

Lol...good point. I just don't have much optimism about those ideals coming to fruition. Heck, maybe the Fab Four didn't.

Some observations:

1. Party lines were followed for the most part on both sides. Percentages were posted by someone earlier in this thread. One can't claim that Republicans voted on party lines when most Democrats did too.

2. The media has learned from its mistakes in 2000 and did a pretty decent job in having patience with calling states for either candidate.

3. The Democratic Party failed to nominate a strong candidate for President, and the party lost for that reason. My basis for the claim is that I've never seen a President attempt to win a second term with so much going against him. Moveon.org, Michael Moore and his documentary, Bruce Springsteen and other musicians touring the country in support of Kerry, anti-Bush websites all over the Internet, and enormous amounts of hateful opposition... it would seem that all this would be enough to keep Bush from winning the election. But Bush won anyway. Personally, I am extremely happy that Bush won, but it is still hard for me to believe that he actually did considering all he was going up against. I'm not implying that Kerry went without his own convincing opposition, but I never saw near the amount that Bush faced. There are definitely multiple factors that contributed to Bush's win, but I feel that one of the main factors is that The Democratic Party did a poor job in choosing its nominee.

Bush getting re-elected = bad.

muzikool's sig and avatar = sweet :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back