Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not too worried about it, Just ordered:

P4 Northwood/2.26GHz 533M 478PIN/512K
ASUS P4S533 SIS645/961 Motherboard
and
DDRAM 512M|64X64 PC-2700H

So I should be seeing those numbers soon....(hopefully tomorrow) :D

They didnt have ddr333 when I put this system together, and I DID overclock my videocard, as you can see

HERE

P.S. I may have a pentium killer(with the pic of the glock) case sticker for sale in the near future....hell I may just give it away.:rolleyes:

Just installed the new WHQL 29.80's and saw my 3d2001SE score jump from 5837 to 6252 at the default settings.

System:

Athlon Thunderbird at 1400 mhz
512 Megs of PC133
Gainward GeForce 3 video card (vanilla GF3, no Ti here.)
Maxtor 30 gig 7200 RPM drive
Biostar M7VKD motherboard

No overclocking is done on this system.

Visually, can't tell a difference. But, the score is better.

Rob

As the picture name states
Untweaked score
untweaked.jpg

AMD 1800+
Visiontek GF4 4600

2400_3dmark-ti4400oc2.jpg

this is at 1024x768x32 all default

This is with a $130 cpu and $33 ram.....so dont give me that money bs.

Anyone who says Intel's cpu's are more stable are wrong....it's their chipsets that are stabler.

Also, dont think im taking sides here, i have an 1800+ system and a duron 700 @ 1ghz and a celeron 566 @ 875, so i've got them all..... :rolleyes:

If you look at the hardocp thoroughbred 2200+ review, they show that there's room for only about a 100mhz overclock on it, the 1800+ thoroughbred's are the ones to overclock (they can reach the 2200+ speeds). The 2200+ and p4 2.533 are neck and neck, the p4 edges ahead in most (including q3, a game..) except for 3dmark2k1 se.

If you try and look at the intel vs. amd as the fastest available, intel is ahead, their current core (northwood) will make it to 3ghz+, while the athlon xp/thoroughbred's are already topping out.

As for budget systems. This is where overclocking comes in handy with intel's northwood, you can get a cheap low speed cpu and increase the fsb and clock speed on it to increase performance without paying anything else. Before the thoroughbred you couldn't get much out of the xp's w/o extreme cooling (which defeats the budget...), but now you can.

So right now both intel and amd have low speed cpu's that can be overclocked to about the same ability, and they have top of the line cpu's that are also close...must be a tie :)

intel is just as competetive....i've seen p4's at 3ghz...
they both equal out, both are basically equal in performance...

listen catch, try and think of it as the highest performing cpu available, amd has a 2200+ thorough and intel has the 2.533 p4, they are both close...

Intel chose to put bigger pipeline's in their cpu's to allow for higher clocks with less performance, if you dont like their marketing thats fine i dont care, but even with less ipc, their current cpu is able to go as fast as amd's current cpu.

$$$

I agree with you though, for the money an AMD system will get you more (stock), but for now intel has the fastest cpu available, but i wouldn't be suprised if that changed soon and AMD moves to the top again.

Originally posted by catch23
I said I would top it...believe me...I would ;o)

Well break down, spend the cash and prove it then....

Dont sing it, bring it.

Originally posted by catch23
...Put an AthlonXP 2100+ watercooled chip in that system...then overclock it.

It took 2.9ghz for a P4 to get 14000 marks...I think it will take maybe 2.2ghz for an AthlonXP to top 15000.

You dont have to watercool pentiums:D

IT is well known that pentiums are more overclockable than amd's, part of the reason being is that they run cooler.

The jump from 12000 to 14000+ can be compared to leaving Earth's gravitational pull to that of leaving Jupiter's gravitational pull. P4 is my choice for return mission from Jupiter! Anyway, I got Prescott on my mind, I got Prescott on my mind... Come on, hum along... "I got Prescott on my mind... Let's hit it Maestro!:D

Well really high scores are meaningless.

The problem today is the mindset of many hardware testing sites and those who follow them.

If staying above 60 fps consistently was a problem I would say get a new vid card at what ever resolution you are playing at.

However with the last couple of generations of video cards this isn't a problem. What we need is a better feature set....

Getting a score of 2oo+ fps in Quake3 is about as meaningless as you can't get. Any card that that sustain 60 fps is a great game playing card.

There isn't a game out there currently that is "pushing" the envelope. There may be resource hog games that kill frame rate, a good example is Tribes 2, average graphics by todays standards but low frame rates because of poor implementation of graphics API's. It's the games that we need so that our "high end" graphic cards can finally be put to some use.

I agree 100% Silverback, also with the speed at which new hardware is arriving for us consumers, the top score you had will be beaten with someone that has the next generation hardware, so its pointless. Also its not exactly a big ego boost, or somthing to brag about down the pub.. ".. Oh I have xxxx score in 3Dmark.." most people will look at you oddly ..then you know your a geek!! lol

But if you must do it, then fair enough.. just dont preach to me that my hardware is bad or I should get this or that.. cos I DONT CARE!! :rolleyes:

Silverback and Stuy_b,
If you REALLY didn't care then you would NOT post in this thread when its asking for 3DMark 2001 scores.
It is obvious your scores are LOW!
You do have a point.....but WE (who score high) DON'T CARE!
We want HIGH FPS!!

Have you ever been at a Q3 LAN Tourny???
The winner is NOT the guy playing at 60fps!!!!!

No I REALLY DONT CARE for 3Dmark scores.

This is an open forum.. and I am having my right to say my opinion, and has nothing to do with a low score. I havnt run 3Dmark since my 98se days, not once since I've had XP (which I've had since December)

Why I'm posting is I just dont see the point, I just have other priorities in life. But as I say if you want to do it I aint sopping you.. I'm just airing my opinion Gravelayer.

stuy_b,
Fair enough....but if you where running a PIV at 145fsb with a GF4 TI4600 I'd bet you'd run 3DMark2001SE!!!!!!!!

Uhm GraveLayer
My score is over 10k
11k tweaked
That's not the point, a 10k score in most games doesn't mean I will do any better or have more of a visual contrast than that of a person with a 7k score.

We need games that will push the cards.
Scores right now are just hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back