Mozilla.org Discussion (Mozilla, FireBird, Thunderbird, etc)

Originally posted by coathanger007
Can we talk about K-Meleon here?
Definitely, it's Gecko based as NetRyder already said, plus it's a top quality browser. Camino can also be discussed here :)

Great because I'm confused. Can someone wise do a comparison between all the variants: Netscape, Mozilla, K-Meleon, Firebird, Camino - I'm lost.

Not going to go into detail, but...

Netscape
Corporate whore browser, owned by AOL.. in short: Mozilla with added bloat.

Mozilla
Open sourced application suite comprising of Mail, IRC, HTML Composer and of course, a web browser.

Firebird
Just a browser, based off the browser component of the Mozilla suite, firebird is a slim-line version, more optimised and more user-friendly package.

Thunderbird
As firebird, but with mail.

Camino
Sort of firebird for the mac, was around before firebird was even an idea. Camino is a mac only browser (and just for reference, it's fast as hell :D)

K-Meleon
Doesn't exactly fit in, developed by a completely different team, K-Melon has the loose connection of using the Mozilla rendering engine (Named Gecko) to render pages and is basically a slimmed down browser-only package.

There are hundreds of differences between all the variants out there, but that's just the basic stuff, and the only way to find out which one you like is to give them all a try :)

And this is what camino looks like.. just for refernce :D

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
Mozilla
...HTML Composer

now that I'm messing around with html, is this better to use then notepad?

also, I'm having a hell of a time spellchecking.

any way to bypass all the html stuff when running a spellchecker?

thanx in advance

the only advantage would be that it shows you a preview of what you're doing. Not sure about spell checking, never really used the HTML composer that much, always used a text editor.

Thunderbird
As firebird, but with mail.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... no.

Thunderbird is an email and newsgroup client, not a browser like Firebird. :)

Originally posted by gonaads

Hehe, I'm sure that's what he meant to say :p

??

Originally posted by Glaanieboy
Man, I am learning new stuff here. That's really cool! And I am a Mozilla/Firebird user for 2 months now!

I just user it for one month \
i really like it !! thats very good!!

Originally posted by gonaads

:rolleyes:
Hence the but with mail part.. :p

SPeedY_B how do you get the iTunes current song player script-thing in your sig?

Edit: Oh yeah, that's the mac one :(

Yup, It's done with AppleScript, basically it probes the process then uses curl to submit the tune. It would be possible on Windows too, someone's just got to put their mind to it for a few hours :)

Yup, It's done with AppleScript, basically it probes the process then uses curl to submit the tune. It would be possible on Windows too, someone's just got to put their mind to it for a few hours :)

Waiting for that to happen... :)

It can be done, I used to have a DLL that got winamp's playing song from it's process/memory rather than it winamp itself having a plugin submit outward from the app.
Anyway, this is off-topic... how about that mozilla browser, eh? :p :D

Anyway, this is off-topic... how about that mozilla browser, eh? :p :D

Yep. ;)
I updated to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031114 Firebird/0.7+ two days ago, and it looks like the DOM Inspector is now included in the official build.
Tools>DOM Inspector

Hadn't seen that in any earlier builds. It's actually quite handy :)

netryder, are you saying you liek mozilla better then firebird now?...should I switch?

anyway, is there any way to plug the html editor into my firebird?

Yep, still using Firebird. I don't really need the extra components included in the Mozilla suite.
As far as I know, Composer cannot be installed independent of the Mozilla suite, so if you want to use that, I suggest you use Mozilla instead of Firebird.

Isn't composer basically notepad but with colour-coding like in dreamweaver? I can't remember.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back