Mozilla.org Discussion (Mozilla, FireBird, Thunderbird, etc)

Yep, I've had Google, Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com in there for a while. Makes it amazingly convenient :)

Originally posted by Leo154
firebird is.... slow.. compared to msie
.. I always used to use it before, but now it just takes so long to load it. Does everyone else (on windows) feel that FireBird is much slower loading than IE.

I know that IE is basically Explorer.exe....

You basically explained it yourself. A lot of IE's code is included in explorer.exe which is loaded by Windows at startup. That's the reason IE loads faster than Firebird on slower computers...since part of the browser is already in RAM.

I have Firebird installed on my laptop (P4 2.4GHz) and a deskop at home (P3 550MHz). Both have 512MB of RAM.
On the laptop, Firebird loads just as fast as IE, except when it's opened for the first time after a restart. I have to admit that's not the case with the 550MHz machine though.

pref browser.turbo.enabled should help those start-up times, also you need to add (or initially open) firebird.exe -turbo and that will keep the lil bugger in memory :D

ok, i didnt get that. "pref browser.turbo.enabled" what does that mean?

Open yer browser.
put about:config in the url bar and hit enter
find a preference called browser.turbo.enabled or use the dialog that's at the top of the page to search for it.
Double click it and change it to 1 or yes or on, or basically the opposite of what it is now, heh.
then go into your firebird folder and create a shortcut to firebird.exe
right click the shortcut and you will see it points at (for example): "C:\apps\firebird.exe"
Change that to: "C:\apps\firebird.exe" -turbo and then run that, you should now have a nice mozilla/firebird icon in the system tray.. double click that to open the browser window :)

the turbo feature isnt supported for firebird and is very buggy...

from what i have read on mozillazine, they removed the turbo feature becasuse the goial of firebird is to be quick without any help of preloading parts of the program.

Aaah, that would explain it then, heh :)
Can't remember the last build I used turbo with :D

I have to admit that it loads a bit slower than IE on my 800MHz PIII... but that is pretty much expected. I figure when I get the money to upgrade someday that I won't notice much difference.

Also, the frontpage looked fine today in Firebird... weird.

also on a P4 firebird loads a tad slower than ie. but thats because ie is already loaded as part of windows. and warm start of firebird are pretty quick. the frontpage works most of the time, but still got the stretch bug a few times.

Originally posted by Leo154
ah well...
they arent achieving their goal though :/

Really??? I beg to differ. Their goal is to streamline and make a better browser. And I think they HAVE acheived that.

If Firebird was built to load a large portion of it's program when Windows started it would load 10 times faster than IE. But I am not bashing IE. I am just stating that if IE were to be a stand alone browser I don't think it would load as fast as Firebird.

Now if someone could run IE and Firebird say... on a MAC machine I think we would see a huge difference in loading time.

I am sure they are doing well... and I agree with you. But I didn't actually mean to diss them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back