Mozilla.org Discussion (Mozilla, FireBird, Thunderbird, etc)

Originally posted by dealer
I'm using hardly any processor at all, even with this priority setting.

Yeah, the CPU usage spikes up only on certain sites...especially those containing lots of large images, flash animations, Java applets etc...all the evil stuff
:D

Nice discovery there. I'll give it a try when I get home. :)

You know if you wish to use the browser in this fashion and are worried of lockin up the machine you could also use the two other settings: "AboveNormal" and "High". And if either is rite for you then edit NetRyder's Batch File accordingly. Maybe this way you can still do other CPU intensive tasks while browsin and not choke the machine.

I will say that it is definitely faster in real time. I wonder how Mozilla would fair???

Originally posted by gonaads
You know if you wish to use the browser in this fashion and are worried of lockin up the machine you could also use the two other settings: "AboveNormal" and "High". And if either is rite for you then edit NetRyder's Batch File accordingly. Maybe this way you can still do other CPU intensive tasks while browsin and not choke the machine.

I will say that it is definitely faster in real time. I wonder how Mozilla would fair???

Yep, "AboveNormal" should work okay. "High" might still make other processes lag, but wouldn't cause lockups in most cases (unless you're using something really old).

Someone should give this a shot on Mozilla. I imagine it would have the same effect, since the rendering engine is exactly the same.

It screams in Mozilla. :) Usin ATM.

The only thing I have noticed in both browsers is that since all this is realtime the pages are up before certain things are positioned correctly... asthetics in a way. Like here on the forums, each post is framed. The frame is rendered then the text and all but the alignment is just a touch off till the whole thing completes.

But all in all it humms. :)

[edit]
But once the pages are cached and you go back and forth through them they are lightning fast.

Now back to Firebird, still screamin. :)

Heh, guess a little experimenting can be good. :)

I was almost sure I would lock up my machine the first time I switched Firebird to Realtime, since that basically makes a process run at a higher priority than Windows' core kernel services.
But as Perris pointed out, the browser hardly uses CPU time except during hardcore rendering, so resources are still available for the core services to function properly.

Well, I'm glad I wasn't imagining things ;)

Hey NetRyder, that batch file don't work. I had to edit it cause I have MozzilaFirebird directory on D: drive root. When I edited it to my firebird location it opened the browser but it defaulted to "Normal".

Code:
@echo off
start /REALTIME /DD:\MozillaFirebird\ MozillaFirebird.exe

That's what it should look like. Check that the spaces are exactly the same.
You also need to logged in with an account that's part of the Administrators group, but if you can change it via Task Manager, I think that you already are.
Not sure what the problem is...just check the batch file again, I suppose.

Wow, that tweak works good! Lightning fast for me :)
Thanks for the tip!

hrm, i could try the "nice" tip for here on my system, and run it at a higher prioity, but i dont know if its such a smart idea.

Originally posted by X-Istence
hrm, i could try the "nice" tip for here on my system, and run it at a higher prioity, but i dont know if its such a smart idea.

Well, you'll never find out if it's worth it unless you try it for yourself, right? ;)

Originally posted by NetRyder
Code:
@echo off
start /REALTIME /DD:\MozillaFirebird\ MozillaFirebird.exe

That's what it should look like. Check that the spaces are exactly the same.
You also need to logged in with an account that's part of the Administrators group, but if you can change it via Task Manager, I think that you already are.
Not sure what the problem is...just check the batch file again, I suppose.

Nope... still normal priority. :(

Gotta do it manually, and I am god on my machine but that don't help much. :D

At long last, may have to use Firebird properly now :)

I heard tis used plenty of resources...let me know

one of the things about the ie spell check is it's not running till you tap it, and the resources are immediately released

let me know about that on this one

SOme of the front pages still don't look right in it though :(

Has anyone who's using a newer nightly build noticed that the stretching "bug" is now occuring in the "Poll" headers of NTFS.org? By "poll headers", I mean the header where it lists poll results in a thread.

Also, I tried that Spell Checker with an older build (Nov 8th, I believe), and it didn't work. It would crash the browser. Is it now working with the newer builds?

Well, I still can't get it to work (dag blast it :D ). Oh well. I'll just have to learn how to spell, and/or wait for a stable release of the spell checker.

On a side note, here's a question that I've never been able to find the answer to. Maybe someone here knows. Why is Firebird's cache always cleared automatically when the browser crashes?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back