Mozilla.org Discussion (Mozilla, FireBird, Thunderbird, etc)

Also, the amount of extensions it has to load can increase that loading time. So if you've got some "high-powered" extensions (like TBE, for example), you'll notice a big increase in load time. That's the thing about IE, it has no extensions, so the browser itself can load lightning fast.

I never use any extensions on my mozilla or firebird. :)

Originally posted by NetRyder
Mm hmm...that'll be the day. It's maturing steadily, ready to take the crown :D
Well the Mozilla team aimed for stability and compliancy in their browser and by rv1.0 (although it took literally years to get there) they achieved it, so any goals the firebird team have will be reached by rv1.0 .... hopefully :p

Question. I downloaded the nightly build and when I view a picture full size I lose the scroll bar. Anyone got any suggestions?

Don't use nightlies? :p Without there being an actively kept bug/change-list you can never be sure with nightly builds if your problem is unique, or known. Gimme a sec tho, I'll go load up some huge pics :D

[edit] Nope, still got my scroll bars.

Does anyone have the globe with the f on it as an icon. I'd like to change my icon to that one. :)

I'm using the latest nightly and I don't seem to have that problem either.
If you're using a custom theme, you need to switch back to the default one. That might be your problem.
:)

And here's the new Firebird icon. Just extracted it from the exe with ResourceHacker. ;)

I'm using the latest nightly and I don't seem to have that problem either.
If you're using a custom theme, you need to switch back to the default one. That might be your problem.

Nope was using the regular theme. Doesn't matter though. I went back to the old one. Thanks for the icon :)

Ok, this is just insane. Just did a little experiment.
Try it at your own risk though. I've seen it freezing up certain machines completely, requiring a reboot, but it works fine on my laptop.

Open up Firebird, then Task Manager, click the Processes tab, look for MozillaFirebird.exe, right click it and set priority to Realtime.
Truely lightning fast page rendering. :eek:

Again, this puts a huge load on the system each time Firebird needs CPU time, so make sure you're not running any other CPU-intensive apps at the same time.
Also note that this will not improve your raw connection speed in any way. It definitely seems to improve page rendering time significantly though. The browser also "feels" much more responsive (scrolling/menus etc.).

I'm not sure if I'm imagining this, so I really want to know what your experiences are.

Ok, this is just insane. Just did a little experiment.
Try it at your own risk though. I've seen it freezing up certain machines completely, requiring a reboot, but it works fine on my laptop.

Open up Firebird, then Task Manager, click the Processes tab, look for MozillaFirebird.exe, right click it and set priority to Realtime.
Truely lightning fast page rendering. :eek:

Again, this puts a huge load on the system each time Firebird needs CPU time, so make sure you're not running any other CPU-intensive apps at the same time.
Also note that this will not improve your raw connection speed in any way. It definitely seems to improve page rendering time significantly though. The browser also "feels" much more responsive (scrolling/menus etc.).

I'm not sure if I'm imagining this, so I really want to know what your experiences are.

Oooooooooooo I LIKE IT! :D

i'm gona give it a go when i get home :cool:

Great! Waiting for more responses to see if it's really effective...coz this little bird sure is screaming now :)

i take it i will be able to turn it off/on @ will?

Yes, the priority change is effective only for the current session of the browser. If you close Firebird, and open it again, it goes back to Normal priority. So if it causes lockups the first time, just don't set it to realtime priority next time.

If you find everything working well for you, and you want to use realtime priority everytime you load FB, just get the following lines into Notepad and save the file as "firebird_high.bat" or something

Code:
@echo off
start /REALTIME /DC:\"Program Files"\MozillaFirebird\ MozillaFirebird.exe

Then point your Firebird shortcut to the batch file instead of MozillaFirebird.exe

Again, I can't stress this enough...don't try to use realtime priority when you have other CPU-intensive apps running at the same time. It WILL cause lockups (unless you're on a dual-processor system).
With that in mind, you might want to create two shortcuts...one to start it in normal priority, so that you can use it when you're multitasking, and another to start it in realtime when you're not using anything else.

I'm using hardly any processor at all, even with this priority setting.

looks faster too

I have to try this on my slow connection also...fast connections are hard to guage

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back